Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D
Boy, is this baby light!!!
I just bought this yesterday because I was looking for a smaller, lighter revolver that I could use for deeper cover CC IWB or even in a pocket.
I think I found it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for IWB, OWB, and some good, thin pocket holsters?
I am thinking of stoking this thing with 125-130 gr JHP so how badly does it kick? I don't get to shoot it until Friday. I am not afraid of recoil as one of my current carrys is a Kahr PM40.
Also, the SS in the model number, does that stand for Stainless Steel or is this an alloy frame?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

My son purchased the same gun last summer. Not much kick with .38 +P (my wife didn't complain). I believe the only Stainless on the gun is the barrel and the cylinder (and a few misc. parts) the rest is alloy. My son recently put Crimson Trace grips on his. I only put 3 rounds through the gun with the new grips. All 3 in the SAME HOLE at 21 feet. Not bad for a snubby!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm hitting the gun show this weekend for an 85 CHULT. I like my 85 CH, but in steel, it's a bit heavy for pocket carry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MattHappyTrails said:
Just a general comment on gun shows: Check prices is your local shops before you go. From my experience many gun show prices are not a bargain.
I can agree with you on the gun show prices. I paid $300 for this 85ULSS. Do you think that is a good price? I really did not check around much because this just filled the bill for the light .38 for pocket carry I was looking for and I impulsed it. Please don't tell my wife, she may sight it in on me.... just kidding.....not really. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
topeka said:
Hello,

My son purchased the same gun last summer. Not much kick with .38 +P (my wife didn't complain). I believe the only Stainless on the gun is the barrel and the cylinder (and a few misc. parts) the rest is alloy. My son recently put Crimson Trace grips on his. I only put 3 rounds through the gun with the new grips. All 3 in the SAME HOLE at 21 feet. Not bad for a snubby!
I mat have to check out some CT grips. For a carry pistol, I hear some very good things about them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
texastaurusguy said:
Pictures !! Pictures !! :eek:
I tried to put pictures in the picture area but right as I got the macro setting on my camera figured out, the batteries died. Just not my day...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have to agree with MattHappyTrails, gun shows don't neccessaraly mean good prices. Sometimes it's retail + 10%. Frank

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Mine's very accurate and prefers the 158 grain stuff, but does well with 140s. I shoot jacketed bullets. It seems to strip the rifling, the rifling seemingly is shallow. This is common with some models like the 1917 Smith and wesson I had, would NOT shoot lead. So, I'd stick with jacketed bullets regardless of the weights you wind up with. Like I say, I like 158 JHP +P stuff. It hits to point of aim for me. Lighter stuff hits low.

You won't find a better DA trigger, either, not out of the box. I get 3" 25 yard rested groups out of mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a M85ULB. I load 135gr GDHP +P short barrel. Shoots to point of aim for me, but kicks like a bull

When I first shot it, I loaded up some 158gr LRN stuff that feels like shooting a 22lr in my 357 mag. They kick worse in my M85 than hot loads out of my 357. They kicked more than the 135gr GDHPs do, not to mention they jumped crimp by the 5th round. Expect some pain when shooting, and don't expect to put 100 rounds though the gun without some major discomfort.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I guess recoil is relative and I shoot handguns in calibers like .44 mag, hot .45 colt, .30-30 winchester, etc, but the Ultra Lite, +P or no, doesn't bother me at all and 100 rounds isn't hard on me. Everyone's perspective is different, though. Where I start to reach a limit is 12 ounce scandium .357s with full power loads. My SP101 with heavy loads is about as much recoil as I want in a 100 round session. But, some folks tell me their scandium guns are fun, so it's all in how much pain tolerance you have, I guess, LOL. But, a scandium .357 or a Taurus Ultra Lite are carry guns and plinking and range sessions are not a consideration in their design. They are a blessing to carry and pack a punch when they have to be used.

With a scandium gun, I'd tote .38 if for only because a double tap would be quicker. .38 +P is power enough. So, I figure if I'm going to tote .38 anyway, why spend a fortune on a 12 ounce .357 when I can get a 17 ounce .38 for under 300 bucks that'll work the same? :D I've been totin' the little gun for over a decade now, off and on. I do have this little Kel Tec P11 I'm also quite partial to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bull_Shooter said:
I paid $300 for this 85ULSS. Do you think that is a good price?
That's a good price. You did well, grasshopper.

ECS

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just bought one sunday @ a gun show for $290.00 with tax and holster. There were a few for sale @ the show for between 330.00 and 360.00. I just waited till the last 2 hours of the show when the were starting to put stuff away and I pulled out the cash. After I bought it I was looking at a cheap nylon holster and when I asked how much he said take it and thanks for the business.
I agree there are not a lot of good deals at gun shows but having cash does help in negotiating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bull_Shooter said:
;D
Boy, is this baby light!!!
I just bought this yesterday because I was looking for a smaller, lighter revolver that I could use for deeper cover CC IWB or even in a pocket.
I think I found it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for IWB, OWB, and some good, thin pocket holsters?
I am thinking of stoking this thing with 125-130 gr JHP so how badly does it kick? I don't get to shoot it until Friday. I am not afraid of recoil as one of my current carrys is a Kahr PM40.
Also, the SS in the model number, does that stand for Stainless Steel or is this an alloy frame?

Thanks for the info.
I just got to put my first 50 rounds down range Friday night. Very nice shooting pistol for a 17 oz snubbie and VERY accurate at 8 yards. 3 inch groups and a very nice 4# SA pull. I am a happy camper and very happy with Taurus firearms.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Shot mine for the first time today. This gun is fun to shoot. It's a big difference with that 2 inch barrel and took a few rounds to get used to it but I like it a lot. It's suppose to be for the fiance but I might just have to keep it for myself. :D Who am I kidding I'll probably have to beg her to shoot it again if I know whats best for me.lol :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts