Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at a crossroads right now with my money situation and could use some expert advice here.

I have 3 guns and 1 on order right now. I ordered another handgun because it can back up my PT99 and works the same in terms of Single Action cocked & locked carry, but looking at my budget for the upcoming year its looking like it will be my last gun for a long time. As in after the upcoming election.

Since I don't own a centerfire rifle yet-and the one I want is an AK -would it be wise to trade two handguns for the rifle immediately , or keep my 4 pistols and wait until some indeterminate time in the future to acquire said AK rifle?

Reactions: melter68

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is something that I'm struggling with also, and there's no right answer in my mind. I'll share my plans

I'm going to sell my pt145 to a family member when he gets his carry permit. While I like the 145 I've decided that shooting .45 ACP for range fun is just not economical for me, I'm keeping my pt1911, but it was the first gun I bought thus cementing it will never get sold, and I love the pt1911!

I'm holding onto my pt111 until I can afford a M&P9c then selling it as soon as the m&p has proven itself reliable. After I sell the pt111 I will possibly buy a full size M&P9 for range fun.

That will leave me with no gain and no loss in firearm count, but I feel like I'm getting better weapons for me! I have to add that the milpro's are great weapons and I feel kinda bad about this plan, but by going with the M&P I feel like I'm giving myself more opportunity for happy ownership, in that aftermarket parts, magazines, holsters are more readily available. If someone were to ever ask me about the validity of the milpro they would receive a glowing report of an awesome firearm, but the aftermarket just isn't there to support the fine firearm.

Now I'm not sure when this will all be happening for me, but again I feel it's best for me. In the end that's what you have to decide, what roles do my firearms fill? are there redundancies? is there sentimental value? Answer all of those and I feel that the decision will have made itself.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Im at a crossroads right now with my money situation...
So am I, my friend.

I don't see any way possible to buy another handgun within the next year, but I've had seller's remorse ever since I sold my Judge Public Defender to raise the funds to buy another Taurus handgun; and I desperately want to buy another one.

You asked for advice, so here's my two cent's worth: select the two favorite handguns from the four that you will soon have, and sell / trade the other two in order to buy the AK.

Really, it all depends upon how strong your desire is for the AK.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Is there one handgun that you could and would sell that would cover the cost or most of the cost of the AK? I've seen them for under $500. JAT

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Depends on the guns you have and what their use is, that's my first question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have faced this decision many times...sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!! I finally just went ahead and got an FFL !! I always trade, or sell around a lot of the times.. very few guns have found a lifetime home in my cabinet..

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
Speaking as somebody who had never owned or even shot a long gun until 2008, I can say that everybody needs at least one good intermediate range rifle and one shotgun. Preferably more than one of each.

I'm not going to tell you to start selling your handguns, I'd say figure out a way to fund that AK sooner and also pick up a good riot shotgun.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Politics have made the AK series and on again/off again proposition, I'd trade for the AK while they're available & affordable.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
There is always regrets after parting with your weapons, I have one 24/7 9mm fro carry and a Mossberg .22 for fun, keep what is absolutely essential

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I have let go of a few weapons down through the years and have regreted each and every instance.

However....

...having a rifle is essential. Every American male of fighting age should have a rifle and ammunition.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Is there not someone on here who has lots of guns, can help this man out either by giving him a AK or can sell him one cheap,
i would like to help but i am over the pond.

Saiga is a real Ak made by izmash and cheap too, but good quality

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Besides the 99 what other guns do you have? If you do your homework and know what to watch out for you can get a decent Romanian WASR-10. They are going for around $450 in my area right now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just traded a NIB Glock G22 for about half of an AR that I wanted. It is the only time I felt that I got even close on a trade. I usually do far better selling outright and buying what I want.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Is there not someone on here who has lots of guns, can help this man out either by giving him a AK or can sell him one cheap,
i would like to help but i am over the pond.

Saiga is a real Ak made by izmash and cheap too, but good quality
Comeon over to the US we'd love to have another gun lover here :)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
AK 47 / 74 Rifles here's afew to look at, if you get a cheaper AK like a WASR, their good rifles if you know what to look for but there are crap one out there to I would suggest atlanticfirearms they have great customer service, I got a Vector arms AK build off of them. I would just make sure if you buy online you know what to look for on an AK and the store has a great return policy if your not happy with the rifle. Here's a series of vids on the WASR10/63's

just to name afew... pop some popcorn there is about an hour of video there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally I would keep what you have and save for the rifle if:

A) you are attached to your pistols

B) know you'll have more money for the rifle at a later date

1 - 17 of 17 Posts