Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been really thinking about getting into reloading. I was on this other site and a guy is selling a box full of used, good condition, cleaned and deprimered brass. I have an M96 6.5x55 swedish mouser, and he is selling a box of 92 empty brass for $40. He says the brand is PRVI partizan. I've never heard of the company, or have never bought brass before. Do you think this is a good deal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, that Swede ain't no "mouser", it is one of the nicest bolt action Mauser rifles ever made! Not knowing the history of the brass, and not knowing how many times it had been reloaded, I would recommend buying new ammo and reloading the brass that was shot in your own rifle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops, yeah i meant "mauser"

·
Super Moderator
35,593 Posts
An NAA mini revolver is a "mouser". ROFL! Wow, though, 40 bucks doesn't seem like much of a bargain for once fired. But, then, it is sort of an odd caliber. I like the .308 for brass, surplus military is dirt cheap. I think I gave about 10 to 15 bucks a hundred at Midway last time I ordered some.

There are OH so many reasons to reload for rifles. First and foremost is that I can load much, much better ammo than I can buy. This is especially true of odd calibers. There is just not much variety in factory ammo for 6.5x55 even when you find it. I have a similar situation with the .257 Roberts, but I have reloaded for that gun for 40 years now and inherited all my grandpa's reloading equipment when I inherited the gun. I've fired some Winchester +P .257 through it, 100 grain silver tip. It chronographed not quite 2900 fps and shot about 1 moa. Now, that's good enough for gov'ment work when deer hunting, killed a few deer with it. But, my handload shoots 3/4 moa and pushes a Sierra 100 grain game king to 3150 fps and it kills lightening quick, a significant improvement over any factory available load in the caliber. I can buy factory loads, Federal Premium 160 Nosler Partition, for my 7 mag, but it's nearly 30 dollars a box! I can load similar ammo for a LOT less. Any gun, even in common calibers like .308, can be improved in accuracy by tailoring a load for the gun. I've never fired a factory load in my .308.

So, if you ain't handloadin', you ain't a serious shooter IMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I hope Taurus guy knows I was just kidding him a little. Remember, though, that these are old rifles and the metalurgy may not be the same as a modern one. My good friend reloads the 6.5 for himself and also for me. We have been cautious about approaching a max load, watching for pressure signs from each individual gun. We have had good results so far and they are very accurate rounds. I have some of the Prvi Partizan for the Swede, but I haven't shot them yet. I have heard good reports about this ammo in general.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I know you were kidding, I have an older brother and work in a shop, so I'm not stranger to teasing. No hard feelings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Too late to help the original poster, but.....

Wideners has Remington unprimed brass for the 6.5x55 for $16.50/50.

Slightly less in volume.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TaurusMan
I reload for the 6.5 Swede...I would buy the Winchester new brass and stay away from the PP.. I think the PP may use military primers which can cause problems and the price seems a little high
The Swede is a great gun. It took several powders bullets to find the right load for mine but of course that is the fun of reloading .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts