1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
The woman stopped to give another woman who appeared to be holding a baby some money when a man tried to steal her purse and stabbed her. It boggles my mind how someone would use a baby as a prop for robbery.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/us/baltimore-good-samaritan-stabbed/index.html

Have you seen people lately?
After 20 yrs working in ER's there isn't anything that would surprise me. Not. A. Thing.
Think of the worst thing you can and then multiply it by 50.
They'll still beat that.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Have you seen people lately?
After 20 yrs working in ER's there isn't anything that would surprise me. Not. A. Thing.
Think of the worst thing you can and then multiply it by 50.
They'll still beat that.
Dude, ER's are scary places today. Most will not allow CCW and have no armed security. Twice in as many years I have been in an ER and have it go on lock down. Thugs text baby mommy that they was going to roll on in and finish the drive by they had started. Security dude with pepper spray locks the glass door with his key. I asked if any security was armed. He said only with spray and the police were sending a car over. I asked if I could get my reading glasses out of my car that was park just outside the glass door we were standing. He said be quick about it. I got my .380 Beretta glasses with a 1+13 scratch resistant lenses. I found reading helped me past the time in the ER. Cop car showed up with lights going 12 minutes later. When seconds count....

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Dude, ER's are scary places today. Most will not allow CCW and have no armed security. Twice in as many years I have been in an ER and have it go on lock down. Thugs text baby mommy that they was going to roll on in and finish the drive by they had started. Security dude with pepper spray locks the glass door with his key. I asked if any security was armed. He said only with spray and the police were sending a car over. I asked if I could get my reading glasses out of my car that was park just outside the glass door we were standing. He said be quick about it. I got my .380 Beretta glasses with a 1+13 scratch resistant lenses. I found reading helped me past the time in the ER. Cop car showed up with lights going 12 minutes later. When seconds count....
Allow? LOL.

Only if it is against the law to disobey a sign in your state would I worry about a sign.

Thank goodness signs do not carry force of law in my state.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Allow? LOL.

Only if it is against the law to disobey a sign in your state would I worry about a sign.

Thank goodness signs do not carry force of law in my state.
Is that what that sign was? Darn it, if I had my glasses on I could have read it.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
One of our local hospitals has metal detectors. Had to make a quarter mile walk
back to my car to lock up my pistol.

They told me it's not unusual to have a car pull up to the door, the door fly open,
someone gets pushed out onto the ground and the car takes off.

Found out about this dropping my wife off at the door at 2am when she was having some
issues. She was easily well enough to walk. I could then go park the car. Apparently pulling up
to the door at 2am and someone getting out triggers the staff into crisis mode. Seems
it's usually a gun shot victim.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts

They told me it's not unusual to have a car pull up to the door, the door fly open,

Found out about this dropping my wife off at the door at 2am when she was having some
issues. She was easily well enough to walk. I could then go park the car. Apparently pulling up
to the door at 2am and someone getting out triggers the staff into crisis mode. Seems
it's usually a gun shot victim.

All the Best,
D. White
I keep waiting for that little surprise.

·
23,197 Posts
Gad, what a world.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
But remember -- it's best to have compassion for others, to love and to respect human decency. But ...

are those humans? No they, obviously are far from it. People who are down on their luck -- I get that and it's a tough situation. Unfortunately, the street corners are also inhabited by evil people and people who choose to leech off of decent folks. It's a horrible shame when someone is murdered.

This nation has an operating system -- it's called work your way through and be as self-reliant as you can. Seems to me that is being ignored and forgotten.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts

·
Registered
37,064 Posts

All the Best,
D. White

oh hell yea!
when I worked at the Fire station on Bankhead highway in Hotlanta we had a good many drop offs right at the front door, hell they would drive across the grass lawn so they could drop them right in the doorway and never stop .
they did need to dodge the flag pole out front!
we had enough drop offs to keep a lot of hospitals in business.

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
Every hospital I worked at had a security dept. with at least 5 people on the evening shift
and a varying number of armed police officers in and around the ER.
I will admit it got hectic at times but I never felt unsafe.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
really?
o you have never seen a geek monster prostitute holding a baby while trying to pick up johns??
if you ever get to Hotlanta look me up and we can go sight seeing.
Back when the southeast Asia unpleasantness was going on my ship made a port call in Karachi, Pakistan. They didn't hate us quite as bad then as they do today. Some of us were walking down a street when a beggar woman holding a baby asked for money. As she got closer we saw that the baby was dead. Had been dead for a while. She was using it as a prop to get our pity. I never forgot it. That type of incident is just something I never thought I would see in this country.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Every hospital I worked at had a security dept. with at least 5 people on the evening shift
and a varying number of armed police officers in and around the ER.
I will admit it got hectic at times but I never felt unsafe.
The hospital I worked at in Dayton had security that was unarmed. One winter during a snowstorm, the guard was using the snowblower to clear the area around the entrance when a truck pulled up and a two guys with guns took his snowblower.

They hired armed off duty deputies for about two weeks and then it was back to unarmed guards.

I always carried while working there, just for the walk to the parking garage where muggings were common.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
The hospital I worked at in Dayton had security that was unarmed. One winter during a snowstorm, the guard was using the snowblower to clear the area around the entrance when a truck pulled up and a two guys with guns took his snowblower.

They hired armed off duty deputies for about two weeks and then it was back to unarmed guards.

I always carried while working there, just for the walk to the parking garage where muggings were common.

That sounds about right for Dayton. :( It got so bad one year some nutjob actually did a mass shooting at a police station instead of some gun free zone. In addition, someone tried to carjack a Good Sam guard in his marked Good Sam cruiser (who was openly carrying) Why I don't know, other than for street cred bragging rights I guess. Can't ask the carjacker because he died from the encounter. Another guy was driving alongside Good Sam hospital and when he saw an elderly pedestrian crossing the sidewalk down the road, he sped up to intentionally hit the person, just to kill them, like in the movie death race 2000 or something.

Grandview Hospital had a car pull up once covered in bullet holes, and the driver was dropping off victims, when the shooters decided they would drive into the drop off area and finish the job, despite a lot of armed security being there. I drove an ambulance in just after they showed up. They ended up getting arrested thankfully without a major shootout, but that shows you how stupid they were.
I was working inside Good Sam's ER one night when we had a blugeoning victim inside with severe head trauma. Dayton P.D. were doing paperwork on the assault when the moron suspect showed up asking if the person was there. Thankfully the cops didn't have to go to a lot of trouble looking for him.

The crazy thing about Dayton is I got much more experience with violent crime working there, either as security or as an EMT, than I ever saw volunteering for a small town suburbs PD. And of course the security jobs I was assigned were in the most crime ridden sections of Dayton. There was even an armed encounter at a scrap yard across from my assigned jobsite that came over to my area, so we were both involved in detaining the armed suspect. Thankfully neither of us had to shoot him. After he was cuffed, the suspect at one point said, "Man this just isn't my night." :lol: I avoiding laughing when I replied, "No it's not."

The little towns I volunteered for didn't have a homicide in an entire year, whereas Dayton it was a regular occurance back then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts