Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, daughter, and son-in-law went to the range. Daughter is gettin' pretty good with my 10/22 Ruger. She also took a bit of a liking to my Ruger Mk II and my Rossi .22 revolver. I think my son-in-law likes my 4" M66. Its accuracy impressed him. He has a Ruger Redhawk with 7.5" barrel in .44 mag, couldn't hit paper with it off hand at 25 yards. So, I says, "gimme the gun and 3 rounds". I staggered 3 rounds in the gun and told him to shoot. When it didn't fire, he was flinching so bad I though he was going to yank the barrel off it. ROFL! I explained to concentrate on the front sight and slowly load the trigger and not anticipate the shot. He's still not quite recoil proof, but showed some improvement. When he took my Ruger Mk II for a spin, he couldn't miss. ;D I think he likes that gun, too. He has the same flnch with an SP101. The boy needs some coaching, guess I'll take on that project. He shot a little better with the M66 Taurus and hot loads, though. That gun is soft on the hand, a real sweetheart. And, MAN is it ever accurate!

Bought a box of CCI mini mag on the way out there, though, over 6 dollars a box of 100! JESUS! I haven't bought a box in a while. It's almost double the 3.25 or so it used to cost. Needless to say, my .22 shooting was done with Federal bulk pack today. :D LOL We shot up a 550 round box and a half between us.

·
Super Moderator
21,942 Posts
If you want my advice a lot of people go by guns way to big for them Just cause its cool drop back to nothing but .22 and non-magnum loads. he needs to develope a sound beginning. I had they same problem with one of my daughters boy friends he collects old military rifles and is a great shot with these and restoring them, The kid has got talent but could not hit a target with my XD-9 at 7 yards had to start at the begining now he 's shooting his 1911 like its second nature. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the .22 and fundamentals always helps. However, at some point, he's going to have to tackle the magnum loads. Flinch is something, I'm convinced, that is removed from just the fundamentals. It's a mental thing you just have to get over. In that concentration on fundamentals is the key, I guess it's related, though. If you concentrate on the front sight and just let the gun do its thing, well, that's how I did it. I had the flinch at one point, myself. LOL I showed him the dime on the barrel dry fire practice thing, too, give him something to do at home that might help him. He needs to get a .22 pistol, typical young guy with the macho guns, not a .22 in the mess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
285 Posts
From a lady shooter here, .22's are the best thing in the world for any new or inexperienced shooter!! And can be great help for a shooter who has developed bad habits or never has been comfortable with shooting larger and louder guns. My first gun in my early teenage years was a .22 rifle. I learned good trigger control and not to be afraid of the sound and recoil. Basically, I learned good shooting techniques from a sweet, accurate .22 rifle. I now own quite a few firearms which are of much larger calibur that I love to shoot and I shoot my Taurus .40 S&W PT24/7 Pro, my Taurrus .357 Magnum, my 98K Mauser, my 12ga. shotgun and my M4 on a regular basis. But still enjoy pulling out a nice .22 rifle or handgun to do some fun "plinking" on a Saturday afternoon. And every round I shoot helps me hone my shooting skills! IMO, everyone who shoots should have a good .22 for fun!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Sounds like a great day to me... :D

My Ruger Mark II is always the gun shot the most when I go shooting with friends or grandkids( everybody loves that gun..lol)

I staggered 3 rounds in the gun and told him to shoot
I remember when i was younger some adults including my dad did that to me..Boy you can sure tell if a person is flinching or not...Matter of fact I have done that with some of my friends that are not used to shooting..they seem to remember after you do that 8)..So I think it helps some

thank Goodness for .22s..they seem to be the best for teaching kids

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I went shooting with a buddy a week ago and he had 1 bad flinch with my P11. It has a long heavy trigger pull. He had just shot my 1911 and grabbed the P11 and jerked the front end way high. Fortunately he didn't fire it. I was laughing my ass off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts