Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with a Smith & Wesson 637 revolver? I’ve been on the fence about this one, so I’d welcome any comments about it one way or the other.
Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
Light weight, Stainless / Alloy, +P rated. I think it would make a great carry gun if that is what you are looking for. If you like the feel of it in your hands go for it.

Reactions: Panda and JaPes

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light weight, Stainless / Alloy, +P rated. I think it would make a great carry gun if that is what you are looking for. If you like the feel of it in your hands go for it.
It's exactly what I was looking for in a comfortable carry gun. The trigger is very light and the SA/DA feature made it a natural for me. I can't wait to get it to the range and see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A few years ago, before the advent of conceal carry in Illinois, I purchased a used Ruger LCR .357. Shooting that little revolver is how I learned that I do not enjoy shooting .357 Magnum out of a small revolver and that I prefer to have the option of cocking the hammer. Since there was no concealed carry, it was traded away for something else.

I finally got back to it a month ago. From previous experience I knew I wanted:

• Decreased probability of snagging.
  • Pocket carry
  • The option to be able to cock the hammer, even though I would rarely exercise the option.
  • .38 Special +P

I purchased the 637's stable mate, the concealed hammer 638.

I've installed VZ grips and Wilson Combat springs. I carry it in a Bianchi Model 152 pocket holster. When I press the trigger with the trigger in the bend of the knuckle of my index finger, I can easily stage the trigger. When I press the trigger with the pad of my finger, I can pull straight through without upsetting my aim. I've shot low powered wad cutters to .38 +P. While the .38 +P is thumpy, it is nowhere near as punishing as shooting .357 out of a snubby. I can honestly say I should have purchased a J-Frame sooner.

One lesson I learned from the Taurus forum that saved my bacon: before taking final delivery and signing the 4473 check the barrel alignment. The first one that was shipped to my LGS, the barrel wasn't aligned properly. Looking down the rear valley to the front sight, it wasn't obvious. Looking directly down at the top strap, it was. I refused delivery. 2nd one that came it was perfect.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I love the Smith J frame guns if they have a hammer you can cock single action as an option. Own and have owned the "Hammerless" guns but do not like the way the action is designed. Without the weight of the hammer they use a heavy hammer spring to insure ignition. It works great,"But" if you change springs to get a better trigger ignition is not 100% as with the hammer type guns. If a person doesn't mind the heavy double action it isn't a problem. I like the concealed hammer guns but my personal favorite is the old exposed hammer guns. It is a habit to put thumb on hammer as gun is pulled and it never snags. The older Smiths were very accurate for pocket guns and 100% reliable.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They are solid reliable & accurate revolvers. I have a friend who carries that one or another 100% of the time here in Texas.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have a pair of them and used to carry them often. I still use one to toss in a pocket on short runs at night, and in the winter I often keep one in a jacket pocket. I also have the steel framed version, which I prefer for range trips. I keep familiar with the lightweight model, but the steel works better when my joints are swollen and stiff.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I really like the S&W 637 but for $100 less my Taurus 85UL SS works just fine for me and the 85's slightly heavier weight (about 3.5oz) makes it comfortable at the range.

Reactions: K9s

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a couple of Smith & Wesson snubbies (Model 360 .38Spl 5rd Black Scandium Frame and Stainless 642). Excellent stuff. If I didn't have them, then the recent price drops would have been the best time to buy one. I would never sell mine and I suggest you get one while prices are low. They hold value very well.

I love my Taurus 85UL SS etc. at least as much. I was lucky enough to get my airweights at about the same price as I paid for the Taurus snubbies.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a Smith & Wesson 637 revolver? I’ve been on the fence about this one, so I’d welcome any comments about it one way or the other.
Thanks...
My nephew has one, and it is great.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I too, dig the 638 Humpback!

Reactions: JaPes

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was looking for a Airweight Smith to pocket carry. I went with a 642-1. Local shop had them for $399+ tax, scored this one from Grab a Gun for $322 shipped.

It arrived at my FFL last Tuesday, brought it home, ran a brush and swab down the barrel and took it to the range. Put a 100 rounds of 130 grain white box Winchester thru it and 20 rounds of +P.

It's an excellent front pocket gun. Plus there aint no lock! I even like the factory grips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife carries a 637 every day.

I have a few that I'll carry but one is a S&W 437 - same as 637 but matte black instead of silver.

We trust our lives to them. I load them up with 135gr +P gold dots or 125gr +P golden sabers. I've just ordered some of the buffalo bore 158gr LSWCHP cartridges...old school standard pressure but they get great reviews so I want to test them out myself.

The wife started out with a Glock 42 - nothing wrong with it - ran fine - but she came to me one day and said she'd feel better with a revolver - so we sold the G42 and got her the 637.

I get the reasoning why folks like the shrouded hammers on J frames, but I much prefer to have the hammer.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts