Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a day off from work to go to the range. I haven't tried shooting off sandbags much recently, and I had loaded up a bunch of test loads to try out. I shot pretty miserably off sand bags, and the results tell me nothing about these loads so it was basically a waste of time and ammo, other than to tell me that I need a lot of work on my benchrest technique.

Frustrated, I gave up. Since I was setup at 25 yards anyway I decided what the heck, I'll shoot up the leftovers........(25 rounds per target, mixed loads, offhand)

Not bad, a few wild ones but I haven't shot at 25 yards much in years. Mostly because there's only four firing positions at 25 yards where I shoot, and there's usually a bunch of dads / kids that want to shoot .22 rifles there on the weekends so I let them I have it, I just scaled my targets down to 15 yards and moved over. But there was nobody there today.

I moved over to 15 yards where I usually shoot and put up some of my standard 15 yard targets (4" circle) and did better than I usually do offhand (top 2 targets, 25 rounds each). I used one box leftover that I hadn't tried off sandbags, after shooting these two targets I kind of wish I had. The bottom target is 10 rounds of a semi-wadcutter load using W231. 2 of my last 5 were the ones that went high, but the 7 shot group in the center is encouraging.

Smith & Wesson Model 66, various cast and swaged wadcutters using W231, Bullseye, and Universal.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I haven't learned how to export from Picasa either, but I do use it to downsize my pics. I let this forum upload pics.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I haven't learned how to export from Picasa either, but I do use it to downsize my pics. I let this forum upload pics.
So you think if i upload them to the gallery I can imbed them?

Nope, I tried using the IMG tags

Added......O.K. I've got it now

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I have trouble bench rest shooting as well, I don't even try anymore, can't hit target as well and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I would rather shoot offhand any way.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have trouble bench rest shooting as well, I don't even try anymore, can't hit target as well and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I would rather shoot offhand any way.
I found it rather tedious, and not much fun. I was using the range's sandbags, but next time I'll take my el-cheapo pistol rest and try that. But I won't shoot more than a few.

·
Registered
896 Posts
W231 Is a new fav powder for .38 Spcl for me
Universal did well for me in 9mm
Bullseye is pretty decent in .45 but I never did give it a fair chance and it was OK for me in .38
Good powder choices and yes your loads are pretty good and encouraging. Do it again!
Nice work!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
W231 Is a new fav powder for .38 Spcl for me
Universal did well for me in 9mm
Bullseye is pretty decent in .45 but I never did give it a fair chance and it was OK for me in .38
Good powder choices and yes your loads are pretty good and encouraging. Do it again!
Nice work!
I used to use Bullseye all the time but it just isn't working for me anymore it seems. I think I like 231 better, and I really like Universal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts