Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my fellow Pennsylvanians and any out-of-staters that came for the first day of deer season...:smile:...wishin' y'all the best out there!
whitetail-buck-in-snow.jpg

·
22,323 Posts
Be safe, and stay warm. Some of the most biting cold I've ever experienced was at Fort Indiantown Gap in the winter.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. My orange jacket with the Lifetime Senior License hangs at the far end of the closet now, and has for the past eight years. Ahhh, , , , but the years before were memorable.

Took both my sons out to the range since they were four, and hunting at 12. Took several other peope's kids, too. It was great to watch the skillls developed on the range turn them into responsible and careful hunters in the field.

·
Registered
31,920 Posts
This is my youngest son on Public Land somewhere around Minot, N.D. This was his second year to hunt and stalk with a compound bow, and his first deer with a bow. Nice Mule Buck. I gave him a hearty congrats. I am giving him a Dehydrator and lots of Jerky seasoning for Christmas, as the kid really loves jerky. He and his future missus will spen a week with us at Christmas. She is gorgeous, we got to spend four days with them in Jackson Hole last July.

The kid really enjoys the hunting and fishing in North Dakota, and has adapted very well. As he is an oil production engineer, he has adapted well to the cold, and I actually am glad he is there instead of closer to home in the Permian, as it is a zoo in the Permian, cost of living out the wazoo and all the roads are worn out. He will be ice fishing soon, hope to get some photos of that.

Sorry to hijack a Pennsylvania deer hunting thread, but too lazy to start my own. :)

·
Registered
18,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts. My orange jacket with the Lifetime Senior License hangs at the far end of the closet now, and has for the past eight years. Ahhh, , , , but the years before were memorable.

Took both my sons out to the range since they were four, and hunting at 12. Took several other peope's kids, too. It was great to watch the skillls developed on the range turn them into responsible and careful hunters in the field.
I stopped hunting a li'l over 20 years ago, when it quit bein' fun. It's sad how PA killed the tradition. When I was a kid, even while my sons were into their teens, the first day of buck season was almost bigger than Christmas. I think most kids were more excited about it, at least. For the few that still hunt, it's just not that big of a deal anymore. With all the idiotic zoning and other regulations, it's almost impossible to know what's legal to shoot, let alone where and when it's legal to shoot it anymore.

·
Registered
31,920 Posts
In 1981, I was working in the area of Warren P.A. doing gas and oil leasing. A young man from Lancaster was also on my leasing crew.

I was surprised when on opening day, he went out and took a nice buck, gutted him and brought him back in the trunk of his car for me to see, on the way to a processer. This was a time when I was still active in hunting, but I was from out of state, and had only brought my shotgun and a .22 pistol. I also had not brought any of my hunting gear, nor knew much of PA's hunting laws, nor about hunting on public lands.

I did enjoy going to the various shooting clubs and shooting trap. I spent the better part of one day at the Sugar Grove shooting club, and they invited me and my two friends to attend their annual awards banquet that evening.
Later on, a group of about 6 local shooting clubs had a all day get together with festivities and competition in Warren.

I never experienced anything like that in Texas, and it showed me just how avid the hunters and shooters were in PA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts