Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on a quality, but not crazy $$$, leather OWB pancake holster for model 85. Need it LH draw. Was looking at the Izula ones for like $50. ANyone have experience with those? Other options?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bianchi makes, or made a "blackwidow" holster for the S&W 36, it works great for the Taurus 605 and 85.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Simply Rugged will make anything you want. Here's my right handed pancake

·
Registered
901 Posts
Simply Rugged will make anything you want. Here's my right handed pancake
Agree with DDDWho, Simply Rugged is superb if it's leather you seek.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also agree with DDDWho, Simply Rugged does make the best, most comfortable and secure pancake holster, but it will probably cost around $75. Then again, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I am a lefty, and I have been looking for a good revolver holster for a long time. I tried my hand at making a few and from what I am told it is a trade secret among the top holster makers as to how much slack to add when cutting the leather for the holster to come out where it does not pinch the revolver when worn. I have a pocket carry and a couple of IWB's that were given to me (and none of them have maker's names or marks), but not a pancake.

That said I have never owned a Simply Rugged holster, but I saw an awful lot of them in Iraq. They were a troop favorite. His design allows you to either wear it as a pancake, or get the kit which lets you carry it like the 1942 Tanker's holster (chest mount). I have looked at them a lot, but just haven't ordered one. It has been a while since I checked his pricing but they were never that expensive.

Let me rephrase this. New Infantry guys (2LTs) like the drop leg holsters, older (more experienced) Infantry guys like hip and chest/shoulder carry, but both usually carry the issue holster, or another cheap holster. SF guys mostly chest carry and seem to like the plastic holsters with a release. The Simply Rugged holsters were the favorite of the truck drivers and those who were running the convoys, and they almost always were chest mount. They needed quick access from a seated position. A lot of the convoy protection guys were converted from Artillery and Air Defense Battalions, they looked around and saw what worked, so a lot of them used the Simply Rugged holsters, having the ability to convert to OWB was a bonus, and cross draw mount shifted some of the weight to your off side that balanced out a heavy load that tended to gather on your strong side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also agree with DDDWho, Simply Rugged does make the best, most comfortable and secure pancake holster, but it will probably cost around $75. Then again, you get what you pay for.
From the pics here an on the Simply Rugged website they look very nice, but they look like they aren't molded all that precisely to the outline of the revolver/pistol and the leather looks possibly very thick.. can someone tell me if that is accurate or can someone share a good pic of their holsters with a gun it it? Is it well molded to the gun's contours and is the leather thick to the point of being bulky or "just right" to give stiffness without bulk? THanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts