Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
For home defense, that should be fine. It will have a good kick to it, so it may be a little hard for the spouse to shoot at first; will need some training for both of you.

Reactions: WartHog354

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Maverick 88 would be another option! They are sweet!

Creek
A good choice. There is a Rock Island Armory M5 that a Davidson's gallery of guns dealers carry at times. It's heavy with a thick walled barrel (good thing), and can be had in parkerized or Nickel finishes for $200 to $230 OTD in my area. Lose some capacity (5+1 in 2.75 or 4 +1 in 3 inch shells) but the better finish vs blued and the speed feed stock make up for it. IMHO. YMMV .

http://www.gunblast.com/Armscor-M5.htm

This is what I did with mine 1st time at the range with 15 slugs & 5 00 buck @ 23 yards or roughly 70 feet.

For a beaded sight - it's more than accurate enough for "social work" IMHO.

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
That is tough to beat.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maverick 88 would be another option! They are sweet!

Creek

Maverick 31046 88 12 20 CYL 8RD $235.00 SHIPS FREE
Creek, that looks like a GREAT gun! I found it at Academy (online) for about $190. Thanks. :)

I am not familiar with that brand/model, but for the same money you can buy a new Mossberg 500 with years of reliable service in its pedigree. JMHO.
TNC, thanks a bunch for the reply. Looks like an awesome gun, but the only 500s I'm finding are in the $450 range. However, the 88 Creek suggested is also made by Mossberg. So it looks like a good option.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that Stevens, I have shot them for many years and they are as good as a Mossberg 500, but it is your choice. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: WartHog354

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
H&R imports a Partner Pump Protectors. Can be had for less than $200. It is not a copy of the 870 express like most say, but of the 870 police. No mim parts. It has a good track record.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
If you keep your eyes open from time to time you can come across a semi auto 12 gauge shotgun for not much less. A while back I picked up a TriStar Raptor Semi Auto for around $250 plus tax at Academy. There are also a few nice inexpensive shorter barrel more home defense choices out there.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I've been looking for the same.
Maverick 88 and Stevens 320 are the same $175-200 price point, Mossberg/Maverick is made in the US or Mexico, Stevens is Chinese.
Will probably add on the Maverick 88 next time I order a gun online.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After looking at the review for the Armscor shotgun, I'm liking it. :D

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I have a Winchester 1300 Defender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Remington 870, 20 ga., youth model. The perfect home defense shotgun, IMHO....

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
H&R imports a Partner Pump Protectors. Can be had for less than $200. It is not a copy of the 870 express like most say, but of the 870 police. No mim parts. It has a good track record.
I have one and it is excellent! If you ran out of ammo it would make an excellent club. I put a tactical stock from an 870 on it and it fit great. It shoots terrific, and makes a great home defense weapon!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts