Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a F.I. Model D .380, stainless, used, at my LGS for $299. Comes with 1 mag only. Thinking of waiting to see what ths wknd's gun show presents, but if this is a nice little pistol, I don't want to pass on it. I know its a little older, looks like a mini 1911. I have been on the lookout for a smaller pocket size pistol that isnt made of plastic, and I have carried a 380 before. I would prob want to carry with those weird little Lehigh X shaped ammo, but I understand those have some feeding issues.

What y'all think?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
There are several of the "1911' .380s out there over the course of time the actual patent and tooling of one changed hands about 3 times I think the FI was one of those. Iver Johnson had it for a while and the tooling moved around. In my area no gunshop would ask more than 225 for one and actually would probably take any offer over 190.

Some of the incarnations use a common mag, some don't, some interchange parts, some don't (And that is just the domestic versions, Llama an s Star don't count) Unless I had done a lot of research and knew the in and outs of that particular variant, and really wanted one, I'd put my money into some of the good new .380s out there.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
hard to say.
if you can thoroughly check out the function then maybe?
I kind of agree though, If I was looking for a pocket 380 of 1911 style then I would just opt for the Colt Mustang or the Sig 238.
MY choice would be (and was) the Sig 238 a it has a lot more features and a bit less money.
Here most sig 238 run about 500-525 new.
They go up in price if you want the fancier versions to about 700 bucks.
Think about IF you are comfortable with carry in the 1911 format of cocked N locked before deciding.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The F.I. external thumb safety is a little soft, it flips off easily, and there's no grip safety, so it could be cocked and UN-locked very easily, perhaps unintentionally. I think I will pass. They won't come off of $299 either.

How about Ruger 45lc/45acp for $550 used? I think I read somewhere that there's a Ruger Super-something on sale online right now for about the same price?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Whoever you are dealing with is awful proud of their stuff.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
How about Ruger 45lc/45acp for $550 used? I think I read somewhere that there's a Ruger Super-something on sale online right now for about the same price?
Depends on which frame it's on.

There's 2 size frames on the .45COLT Blackhawk (adjustable sights) and Vaquero (fixed sights). The 'New Model' guns are the same size as a Colt Single Action Army. They aren't rated for the "+P+" or "Hunting" factor loads or the "Ruger Only" He-Man, Woman hater Club reloads that are loaded up to .44MAG pressures.

Older guns are on a frame that's roughly 10% bigger. They are capable of shooting the hot .45Colt stuff.

If it wasn't a convertible, I'd say he's high by at least $100 and it better be pretty much pristine at that price. But the convertibles are highly sought after and go for a higher price, so I don't think $550 is too bad a price if it's one of the older, large frame guns.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am unsure. All I know is that he said it came w/ switchable cylinders, has the loading "gate" on the side, w/ the ejector rod and spring. It looks pretty beefy, stainless w/ ivory colored grips. I'll see if I can find a pic. Pretty sure this is it:
ruger-blackhawk-45.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts