Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one of these at my LGS:

Gun Review: Nagant m1895 Revolver - The Truth About Guns

It's a 1941 production, seems to be in good shape. Interesting design, the whole cylinder shifts forward w/ cocking to close the cylinder gap completely. It's a consignment sell, asking $149, comes w/ holster.

What ya'll think? I understand the 1920s production are rarer, but still....

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Would you buy it to shoot regularly, or just for the sake of the experience before it went into your collectors' closet?

It's a very interesting design. I believe that Iver Johnson also made a 'sealed .22' that made similar claims, cylinder gap-wise.

For some, $150. is their whole allowance for a while. For others, pocket change. If you like it, buy it! It will only mean that something else may have to wait a bit...

·
Super Moderator
17,715 Posts
Not really, I think those were often for sale for $100.

Edit: I think my memory is faulty on this, more like $199. I've looked at these and I have no interest but if you like it go for it.

·
Super Moderator
26,966 Posts
I bought mine for $250! About a year ago! Buy it then sell it if you want! Fun gun. Ammo is not that expensive nor rare. More available than 22LR!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prob buy for a conversation piece, shoot a little, then it would camp out in the safe. Def not a carry piece, unless its a magnum, which it isnt.

·
22,306 Posts
Doubt you'll ever see that deal again...

Reactions: bembry and rodfair

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Absolutely the worst trigger in all of gun history. As a shooter, I'd pass. As a collector it ain't worth much....yet, but there's no shortage of 'em out there. Might even be being still made for the American market. Odd as heck ammo, too. They're a good conversation piece and heavy enough to be used as a trot line weight if nothing else.

There, that's my opinion.:r_c::biggrin:

Reactions: jwc007

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
I bought mine for $250! About a year ago! Buy it then sell it if you want! Fun gun. Ammo is not that expensive nor rare. More available than 22LR!
What ain't? :icon_ rofl:

Reactions: BigBlue and rodfair

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
The trigger is stiff because it's a safety device. I've got a couple of old revolvers and the trigger pull is tough. They want you to be sure you want the gun to fire. It's a good gun and is lots of fun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Look at siggy\/ \/ . i have one. Its a fun shooter but not an accurate gun to say the least. The trigger is probabbly the worst, heaviest and stacks worse than Jenga. The single action is still around 10lbs and the double action is a workout. A smith can smooth out the trigger for you but its still a heavy trigger due to you spinning and pushing the cylinder forward. Its a very unique gun and totally worth collecting. It is also the only revolver that can be suppressed...

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have had a couple of them. One was a beater with a good bore made in 1928 and the last one I had was a nice one made in 1938. Gave 40 bucks for the beater and 90 for the nice one. That was @ 5 years ago. Both worked perfectly well and had great bores. Hard DA trigger and just a fair SA trigger. I still have a box of the ammo if i come across another one. I would shoot .32 lons out of both of them. It worked, but the cases would swell a bit. A rather archaic design, but nice conversation piece. Guess the price is fair these days. Seen some for around 2. Swapped both of mine for more modern stuff, but would not hesitate to buy another for the right price.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
The trigger is stiff because it's a safety device. I've got a couple of old revolvers and the trigger pull is tough. They want you to be sure you want the gun to fire. It's a good gun and is lots of fun.
I'd say it's unsafe as a carry. WHY? Because if you can't hit the BG, he's apt to hit YOU. REALLY, though, I'll criticize "safe actions" all day, but my very nice Taurus M85 trigger has a long throw even though the effort is smooth and light. It's so good, I never cock it single action. THAT alone is a safety feature in a way. :D Of course, the SA on a Nagant makes the DA on any of my Taurus revolvers feel like a single action...well, other than the trigger travel is longer.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Look at siggy\/ \/ . i have one. Its a fun shooter but not an accurate gun to say the least. The trigger is probabbly the worst, heaviest and stacks worse than Jenga. The single action is still around 10lbs and the double action is a workout. A smith can smooth out the trigger for you but its still a heavy trigger due to you spinning and pushing the cylinder forward. Its a very unique gun and totally worth collecting. It is also the only revolver that can be suppressed...

THIS is why the trigger is awful, not for safety. :rolleyes: The trigger effort is a product of the ignorant design. You lose maybe 30 fps from the cylinder gap and for this, they design a trigger that's about as close to unshootable as there is, and this from a grown man with strong hands. I doubt my wife could even fire the thing even in SA, let alone DA. Yeah, you can suppress it, so what? Has anyone ever gone to the expense of threading it for a can and paying more on the tax stamp than they paid for the gun? Not something I'm gonna do.

Yeah, it's cheap, but I'm only a Nagant fan for the collector of war relics or someone that wants a cheap conversation piece, not for a shooter. Heck, I only gave $180 for my 3" 66 used at a gun show. There is simply no comparison in the quality of a Nagant as a shooter and this 66. I even carry it concealed occasionally, though less so since I got my 605 Poly. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Found one of these at my LGS:

Gun Review: Nagant m1895 Revolver - The Truth About Guns

It's a 1941 production, seems to be in good shape. Interesting design, the whole cylinder shifts forward w/ cocking to close the cylinder gap completely. It's a consignment sell, asking $149, comes w/ holster.

What ya'll think? I understand the 1920s production are rarer, but still....
Let's see. Obscure and relatively weak cartridge. Atrocious double action pull (to all reports). Slow reloading.

The only things it has going for it are, it's cheap, it's funky (if you're into that), and it can be suppressed (if you're willing to spend more than the gun costs, just for the tax stamp).

Get it if you want. I see too many negatives there. I'd rather have a decent single action revolver in a readily available chambering.

·
Registered
24,611 Posts
The only use for this gun is as a coffee table gun and nothing more. $150 is about what they go for today so no bargain. If you are a military collector then go for it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id get it IF it were a good deal, like if they sold for $300+ normally. It would be primarily for show n tell, but not THAT crazy about it.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The gun was made in 1941. I doubt there was a liability problem then. It is also a military weapon and I know they had no problem with being sued.

The trigger pull on the Nagant is heavy because it not only cocks the hammer but at the same time picks up the cylinder and moves it forward to close the barrel/slide gap.

Don

·
Registered
310 Posts
There is 1 plus side. The cylinder holds 7 rounds as opposed to 6 and the ammo although rare is almost always on the shelves due to the popularity of the surplus revolver but the obvious lack of actually shootin the thing. If there ever was a mass ammo ban and\or hoarde and all the common calibers go missing, im willing to bet big money nagant ammo will still be there with dust covering the box

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
If you want it go ahead and get it. I had one years ago that I bought on my, then new, C&R FFL. It was only $49, but, MilSurp ammo was not being imported at that time. The only LGS that had ammo for it was charging $59 for commercial euro ammo. I eventually bought a 32acp cylinder for it and shot that. I sold it a few years later, and made what I thought was a profit on it. What I didn't know at the time, was that I could have gotten more just for the 32acp cylinder.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
$150 is a good deal for this gun if it's in decent shape, given current prices. They were close to $100 a couple of years ago, but no more. All of these old timers are selling for possible too much, but if you want it, you have to pay it, because if you don't, somebody else will.I have a Nagant revolver made in 1932 with a matching Mosin Nagant of the same year and factory, so they have the same stamp. Makes a nice pair. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts