Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Good choice of pistol for wife with rheumatoid arthritis

11K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  Sekol 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and her right hand (strong hand) is pretty disfigured. She is also sensitive to recoil as it causes her considerable pain. She recently bought herself a Ruger SR22 and can fire it single action but not double and the safety is a hammer drop so first shot double action is problematic.

We have applied for and are waiting for our CCW permits and I would really like to see her carry something more effective and reliable than a 22. I have a Kahr CW9 and she can fire it if she uses her middle finger to pull the trigger but her index finger won't handle the long double action pull of the Kahr. The recoil of a 9mm in a lightweight pistol is also too painful for her. I think a locked breech 380 would probably be the next thing to try or maybe a 32 auto. Her left hand is in much better shape so I am going to have her practice as much as possible with her left hand but under stress I think it would be more likely she would use her right.

What kind of pistol would you recommend that has minimal recoil and a trigger that is easy to manipulate for someone with these physical challenges?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks,

Don

See less See more
Reactions: Sekol and MilProGuy
#2 ·
Is she able to work the slide by herself? If not you might want to think about a revolver and get a trigger job done on it to lighten the double action pull. JAT

Reactions: Camo and rpcortina
#3 ·
I too suffer from RA can she shoot a small 38? She can always cock the hammer with her left thumb. So the trigger will be single action. As long as she uses light or regular loads she should be fine.

#4 ·
I had a S&W model 36 and despite having a trigger job done and some good hogue monogrips the recoil was too severe for her. I think it had a lot to do with the shape of the grip. An autoloader positions her wrist at a different angle that seems to work better for her. The double action even with the trigger job and lighter wolff springs was too much for her. My Kahr CW9 has about a 5 1/2 pound double action pull which is really light for a double action auto but it is still too much for her. A single action trigger is probably the only way to go. I thought about a Colt Mustang but the price is prohibitive at this time.

#9 · (Edited)
I had a S&W model 36 and despite having a trigger job done and some good hogue monogrips the recoil was too severe for her. I think it had a lot to do with the shape of the grip. An autoloader positions her wrist at a different angle that seems to work better for her. The double action even with the trigger job and lighter wolff springs was too much for her. My Kahr CW9 has about a 5 1/2 pound double action pull which is really light for a double action auto but it is still too much for her. A single action trigger is probably the only way to go. I thought about a Colt Mustang but the price is prohibitive at this time.
The Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP has a single action only trigger, can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, and absorbs the recoil much better than the Ruger LCP or the Kel Tec P3AT pistols.

I picked this one up new for $499.00 complete with the laser.

Here's a couple of comparison pics with the Ruger LCP. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#18 ·
Type II Phaser?You only have to press a button.
I've been going to get one of those but have been waiting for a range report....:D

#7 ·
Taking your wife's physical limitations into consideration, I'd recommend the Taurus M85 Ultra Lite (.38 Special) which, as 45Forever has mentioned, could be cocked with her left thumb and fired in single action.

Keep us posted on what you ultimately decide upon.

Reactions: rpcortina and ozzy
#12 ·
Look at the .32 S&W Long revolvers. Minimal recoil, usually can find a used one under $200.00

Reactions: olfarhors
#14 · (Edited)
Fishings Train is running on the same track as mine!
although i was thinking more in the line of the 327 Federal magnum!
which can chamber and shoot the powerful Federal magnum, or the 32 H & R magnum, or the 32 S&W long or the 32 S&W short IF I remember correctly..
so you have a choice of 4 ammunition choices as to availability and 4 power ranges as well.
You also don't need to worry about jacking the slide, and more importantly if it does misfire then you simply pull the trigger again and it goes bang!
you don't have to worry about dropping the magazine, jacking the slide rearward, letting it go to rechamber a new round.
But IF you decide you gotta have a semi auto then the choice is simple for low recoil!
Get the lowest power caliber in the heaviest weapon.
I am thinking like a Highpoint in 25 ACP== IF they make such a thing?

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think for my wife a revolver is out, the trigger pull is simply too great and the idea of a cocked revolver with it's then really light trigger pull would probably be a bad idea along with then needing to de-cock it by someone with limited strength and dexterity.

I like the Sig P238 as well as the Colt Mustang and the Kimber Micro. The Sig is probably the most affordable of the three. She does fairly well with some pistol slides in terms of being able to pull the slide to the rear properly. It will all depend on the spring tension. I wish there was a 380 auto out there that wasn't quite so compact but still locked breech. The CZ 83 can be carried cocked and locked but it is a blowback and I understand the recoil is a bit harsher than a locked breech. I have read that the Taurus 738 trigger is fairly light at 4 to 5 pounds although somewhat long. I am going to have to find one I can have her try the trigger on as it is very affordable.

Any experience or impressions on the Taurus 738?

Thanks again

Don

Reactions: Sekol
#16 · (Edited)
Taurus is in shop, i have sig938. She might want mic holster,(kydex trigger guard).

These are neat, but brasscatchers.com does not make small ones yet. Got dad one for his Glock26.

Below is on youtube: the bra holster

Spend the money, the Walther with trigger cover. Slide goes back like a childs toy.

#17 ·
I was going to suggest Bersa Thunder in either 380 or 22, but they are (fantastically accurate) blowback, not locked breech. I currently own a 22, and the slide is super easy to operate, has an exposed hammer to cock into an easy SA pull. Not a polymer mouse gun; its a metal construction with a human-sized grip so it handles very easily. If revolvers are out, I'd say throw a look at these.

#20 ·
I'd back that up. Great gun, but unless you can find the discontinued 732, I'd stay away from the TCP. Chambering a round is not easy as those little mouse guns have stiff springs, and there's only 10 ounces to soak up recoil from transferring into her hand.

#21 ·
Id go with a pt25. Its a tip up so you dont have to fool with the slide. The trigger pull is fairly light too. Plus the grip is larger than most smaller pistols so its more comfortable in your hand. You barely notice the recoil.

#22 ·
My wife has a PT22 and she loves it. She has a hard time with the slides (no RA, just weak and doesn't practice enough) and this is super easy for her. It is rimfire and there are some bad reviews about the gun, but it has been nothing but great for us so far. Almost no recoil, nice size grip, pretty damn accurate. Load the magazine, tip up the barrel and drop a round in, close it, ready to rock. It's not a great caliber, but a 22 is certainly better than nothing, and it might fit your needs well.

#23 · (Edited)
It seems Beretta made a 32 tip up barrel too that the pt22 is a knock off of. Found it Beretta Tomcat 3032 if it shoots like my tomcat (22) its not bad and the larger grips make it easy to handle.

#24 ·
My wife also has arthritis in her hands. Bought her a TCP and she felt that it was difficult to pull the slide back and had too much snap. Bought her a Ruger LC380 and she's happy as a clam. Less recoil and easier to operate the slide. It was a win, win for me. I like the TCP and use it as a BUG.

#26 ·
I have very crippled, partly paralyzed hands. I can still handle semi-autos in 9 mm and 380. But my hereditary condition is progressive, so I decided to get a revolver. I got a S&W 638 Airweight with the shielded hammer. In stock form, I had to use the trigger fingers of both hands to pull the DA trigger. The SA is a hair trigger, so not practical for use anywhere except carefully at the range. I got the gun ported and a trigger job that reduced the DA pull to 4.25 lb with real strong primer strikes. I spent too much money on the gun, but I love it now! :rolleyes:

It is very hard to find a gunsmith who can or will do that good a trigger job, so here is a suggestion: the Ruger LCR in 22 lr or 22 mag. The stock trigger is light enough on these that no trigger job is needed.

#29 ·
My cousin's wife is petit and has a hard time racking any slide. They found that the Sig 238 had the easiest slide to manipulate of any of the small pocket pistols.

Also consider the Beretta Bobcat in .25 or .22 with Stingers. Tip up barrel so no racking of slide, and has true SA/DA trigger. Hammer can be cocked easily, and safety put on.

#32 ·
My cousin's wife is petit and has a hard time racking any slide. They found that the Sig 238 had the easiest slide to manipulate of any of the small pocket pistols.
I totally agree, especially since i put the new flat wire recoil spring in mine, My wife can rack the slide with 2 fingers, but the weapon is just as reliable as it ever was--and that is reliable!
The only problem that i see in the Sig 238 in this particular case would be its single action and the lady with hand problems would need to be able to utilize the thumb safety?
or carry it hammer down and cock the small rounded hammer by hand before firing.
While i think very, very highly of the Sig 238/938 but it like any weapon doesn't meet every need.
course the OP would need to decide if the wife could do this.

#30 ·
As odd as this may sound she might have to learn to shoot with her left hand.

The Beretta 21A in either .22 or .25 comes to mind as well as the Taurus PT22/25 or Taurus PLY models. These all have tip up barrels so the slide needs not be racked.

The Beretta 86, a used gun only item, (online gun auctions have them from time to time) is a compact frame but almost full sized .380ACP pistol with a tip up barrel.

The Ruger LCR in .22lrf is supposed to have one of the best trigger pulls for rimfire revolver.

#31 ·
I have not seen this but there is a device called a Slide Racker which is supposed to make slide operation much easier for a person with disabilities or strength issues.

#33 ·
To Sekol:

If I may quote from Colour Seargent D'Arcy of the First Battalion, The Black Watch.... you will have to do your own Scottish accent....
"Mister....if it works...it isn't weird" July 1967, Dreghorn Ranges outside Edinbirgh, before our trip to Bisley.

Reactions: Sekol
#34 ·
LOVE it Rodfair - very nice, and most appropriate in this instance, I would say!!! Hope I can do the accent justice!!!

I have a saying I remember from my dear Master Sgt McClure who was from Tennessee - every morning when I asked him how he was doing he would always say, "Fine as a Frog's Hair, mam"!! Of course, you have to imagine that incredible long vowel-ed twangy accent to go with it; he was the first person to help me understand "southern". God bless that man, and wouldn't he be surprised if he looked down from heaven and saw me today!!!:angel:

Reactions: rodfair
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.