Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and her right hand (strong hand) is pretty disfigured. She is also sensitive to recoil as it causes her considerable pain. She recently bought herself a Ruger SR22 and can fire it single action but not double and the safety is a hammer drop so first shot double action is problematic.

We have applied for and are waiting for our CCW permits and I would really like to see her carry something more effective and reliable than a 22. I have a Kahr CW9 and she can fire it if she uses her middle finger to pull the trigger but her index finger won't handle the long double action pull of the Kahr. The recoil of a 9mm in a lightweight pistol is also too painful for her. I think a locked breech 380 would probably be the next thing to try or maybe a 32 auto. Her left hand is in much better shape so I am going to have her practice as much as possible with her left hand but under stress I think it would be more likely she would use her right.

What kind of pistol would you recommend that has minimal recoil and a trigger that is easy to manipulate for someone with these physical challenges?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks,

Don

Reactions: Sekol and MilProGuy

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Is she able to work the slide by herself? If not you might want to think about a revolver and get a trigger job done on it to lighten the double action pull. JAT

Reactions: Camo and rpcortina

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
I too suffer from RA can she shoot a small 38? She can always cock the hammer with her left thumb. So the trigger will be single action. As long as she uses light or regular loads she should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a S&W model 36 and despite having a trigger job done and some good hogue monogrips the recoil was too severe for her. I think it had a lot to do with the shape of the grip. An autoloader positions her wrist at a different angle that seems to work better for her. The double action even with the trigger job and lighter wolff springs was too much for her. My Kahr CW9 has about a 5 1/2 pound double action pull which is really light for a double action auto but it is still too much for her. A single action trigger is probably the only way to go. I thought about a Colt Mustang but the price is prohibitive at this time.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Walther P22, a belly full of stingers would make anyone retreat. Almost no recoil and very accurate along with being a descent size to hang onto. P22 | Walther Arms

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Taking your wife's physical limitations into consideration, I'd recommend the Taurus M85 Ultra Lite (.38 Special) which, as 45Forever has mentioned, could be cocked with her left thumb and fired in single action.

Keep us posted on what you ultimately decide upon.

Reactions: rpcortina and ozzy

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
J-frame 32 H&R mag I think Taurus 732 (My wife has one but I am not sure the model number). Six tries, lighter recoil than a .38 and very close to .38 in power. As has been mentioned by others the trigger can be tuned.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I had a S&W model 36 and despite having a trigger job done and some good hogue monogrips the recoil was too severe for her. I think it had a lot to do with the shape of the grip. An autoloader positions her wrist at a different angle that seems to work better for her. The double action even with the trigger job and lighter wolff springs was too much for her. My Kahr CW9 has about a 5 1/2 pound double action pull which is really light for a double action auto but it is still too much for her. A single action trigger is probably the only way to go. I thought about a Colt Mustang but the price is prohibitive at this time.
The Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP has a single action only trigger, can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, and absorbs the recoil much better than the Ruger LCP or the Kel Tec P3AT pistols.

I picked this one up new for $499.00 complete with the laser.

Here's a couple of comparison pics with the Ruger LCP. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with a 1911 platform. It only fires in single action, so the trigger pull is the same every time even after you put it on safe. The Sig P238 could be a good choice as well as a Kimber Micro carry or Colt Mustang.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Walther PK380. Have heard good things about it, and supposedly the slide is one of the easiest to rack in the business.

Also a SA/DA revolver would suit her well.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Look at the .32 S&W Long revolvers. Minimal recoil, usually can find a used one under $200.00

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Look at the .32 S&W Long revolvers. Minimal recoil, usually can find a used one under $200.00
Fishings Train is running on the same track as mine!
although i was thinking more in the line of the 327 Federal magnum!
which can chamber and shoot the powerful Federal magnum, or the 32 H & R magnum, or the 32 S&W long or the 32 S&W short IF I remember correctly..
so you have a choice of 4 ammunition choices as to availability and 4 power ranges as well.
You also don't need to worry about jacking the slide, and more importantly if it does misfire then you simply pull the trigger again and it goes bang!
you don't have to worry about dropping the magazine, jacking the slide rearward, letting it go to rechamber a new round.
But IF you decide you gotta have a semi auto then the choice is simple for low recoil!
Get the lowest power caliber in the heaviest weapon.
I am thinking like a Highpoint in 25 ACP== IF they make such a thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think for my wife a revolver is out, the trigger pull is simply too great and the idea of a cocked revolver with it's then really light trigger pull would probably be a bad idea along with then needing to de-cock it by someone with limited strength and dexterity.

I like the Sig P238 as well as the Colt Mustang and the Kimber Micro. The Sig is probably the most affordable of the three. She does fairly well with some pistol slides in terms of being able to pull the slide to the rear properly. It will all depend on the spring tension. I wish there was a 380 auto out there that wasn't quite so compact but still locked breech. The CZ 83 can be carried cocked and locked but it is a blowback and I understand the recoil is a bit harsher than a locked breech. I have read that the Taurus 738 trigger is fairly light at 4 to 5 pounds although somewhat long. I am going to have to find one I can have her try the trigger on as it is very affordable.

Any experience or impressions on the Taurus 738?

Thanks again

Don

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
580 Posts
Taurus is in shop, i have sig938. She might want mic holster,(kydex trigger guard).

These are neat, but brasscatchers.com does not make small ones yet. Got dad one for his Glock26.

Below is on youtube: the bra holster

Spend the money, the Walther with trigger cover. Slide goes back like a childs toy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was going to suggest Bersa Thunder in either 380 or 22, but they are (fantastically accurate) blowback, not locked breech. I currently own a 22, and the slide is super easy to operate, has an exposed hammer to cock into an easy SA pull. Not a polymer mouse gun; its a metal construction with a human-sized grip so it handles very easily. If revolvers are out, I'd say throw a look at these.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Type II Phaser?You only have to press a button.
I've been going to get one of those but have been waiting for a range report....:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think for my wife a revolver is out, the trigger pull is simply too great and the idea of a cocked revolver with it's then really light trigger pull would probably be a bad idea along with then needing to de-cock it by someone with limited strength and dexterity.

I like the Sig P238 as well as the Colt Mustang and the Kimber Micro. The Sig is probably the most affordable of the three. She does fairly well with some pistol slides in terms of being able to pull the slide to the rear properly. It will all depend on the spring tension. I wish there was a 380 auto out there that wasn't quite so compact but still locked breech. The CZ 83 can be carried cocked and locked but it is a blowback and I understand the recoil is a bit harsher than a locked breech. I have read that the Taurus 738 trigger is fairly light at 4 to 5 pounds although somewhat long. I am going to have to find one I can have her try the trigger on as it is very affordable.

Any experience or impressions on the Taurus 738?

Thanks again

Don
i got my 738 used because the girl who had it before me had wrist pain and couldn't tolerate the kick. it does kick hard. i love this gun more than all my others due to how concealable it is, but unfortunately i wouldn't recommend it for your wife.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd back that up. Great gun, but unless you can find the discontinued 732, I'd stay away from the TCP. Chambering a round is not easy as those little mouse guns have stiff springs, and there's only 10 ounces to soak up recoil from transferring into her hand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts