Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looking for advise on a good all around rifle powder for .223 on up to 30-06. Thanks
It's gonna depend on the bullet weights you use in .30-06 and .223, but AA 2520 is a really good spherical that meters like hourglass sand. Should work fine with bullets up to 165 grs. in the 06. If you don't mind trickling powder, something around RL15 or Norma 203B will do both calibers.

In 5.56mm, the real thing, 2520 is really good, but with the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP Match w/cannelure (1 in 8" twist or faster), TAC has really worked great in 5.56 giving us 10 shot strings with standard deviations of 10 or less, and it doesn't take a Max Charge to equal the velocity of the Hornady TAP 2 that's labelled LEO.

So, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to break the rules and recommend you use 2 powders and add one of the 4350 variety where N204 is the slowest of that burn rate group. I've had great results with AA 4350 that's just a tad slower burning than IMR or H4350 and burns really cool. If you want to use a easy metering spherical, look at Ramshot Big Game or Hunter. You can decide which based on the bullets you'll use the most. And there are other brands that have very similar burn rate powders.;)

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
H4350 is used in many calibers and applications. Same thing with Varget. I did some research once and found that IMR3031, while not extremely accurate with any particular caliber except maybe 30-30, can be used widely and with decent results in many calibers, including 223, 308, 30.06, and a lot of others.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have only loaded .223 so my experience has been with Accurate 2230 and Winchester 748. Both have been good powders. I know when I look through my manuals Varget gets listed for many calibers. I decided to try it but found out the extruded type powder does not dispense and meter well in a rotating drum type powder dispenser.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I like Varget or RL15, but only when I am weighing each charge. You can get close with a powder measure and trickle the last bit. For my plinking rounds I use CFE223 because it meters better.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I only have two rifle cartidges for myself, .223/5.56 and .308 Win., although I load .22-250 for my best friends Dad and i've settled several years ago on CFE223. Great results in .223 and .308.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have only loaded .223 so my experience has been with Accurate 2230 and Winchester 748. Both have been good powders. I know when I look through my manuals Varget gets listed for many calibers. I decided to try it but found out the extruded type powder does not dispense and meter well in a rotating drum type powder dispenser.
I've used both for 5.56mm NATO loads except that it was the Ramshot Version of 2230 which is XTerminator. Works fine for 55 gr. loads, as does 748. And 748 will work for .30-06.

As far as powders like RL15, N203B and Varget, they're really best suited to heavier bullets in .223 or 5.56mm, and if your rifle has a 1 in 9" twist, AA 2230/Ramshot XTerminator, TAC and W748 are better choices for the 55 - 64 gr. pills. AA 2520 would still be a good choice if you really want to stay with a single powder, along with 748.;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
One powder for all rifles? Is that what you are looking for? I guess I would have to say H4895. There is a load listed for about everything.

·
Registered
898 Posts
there is probably newer powders, but varget did me well in competition , .223,.309, 3006. i use an old lee perfect measure and it metered well, it was all in me using a consistent motion with consistent pauses. I only weighed my 600 yd loads

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Would be impossible for me. I like to optimize for accuracy AND velocity in my rifles because I'm not just shooting paper, I'm shooting flesh and bone. Every rifle requires something different. Oh, I can make it go bang with about anything, but that ain't the point with me. If all I wanted is to go bang, I'd run IMR 3031 in everything. Well, it wouldn't work real well in 7 mag, but it'd go bang. I went through several powders in 7 mag before I settled on RL22.

When I was working with the .223, the one powder I had that I could find data on was IMR 4198 which I have used in 7.62x39. It works great with a 62 grain Barnes TSX and since developing, has one kill on an average sized whitetail buck at about 30 yards. Out of a 14" barrel with attached flash hider (legally 16"), it gets a bit over 2880 fps. Drop to a 55 grain bullet and I'd just keep the charge weight the same, wouldn't be a serious load after all and would probably push at least 2900 fps. I don't know how it'd work in the 06, though. Quite a bit of case capacity difference there.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts

That's my .308 Winchester powder of choice behind a 150 Nosler BT. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts