Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just bought a PT99 whitch shoot excelent with Magtech 115 gr rn factory ammo. I am also reloading my ammo. It is difficult here in Denmark to get anything else then H&N bullets for reloading. My gun is reluctant to load H&N 115 gr hs hp. It gets stuck just underneath the barrel. When I shoot H&N 125 gr rn I have no problems. Can somebody please tell me what might be the problem? Maybe the magazines. And du you guys have some god loads with H&N and VihtaVuori. I use VihtaVuori N320 and N340?

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
could be several problems, first thing I would look at is your crimp?
very likely the case mouth is catching aginst the feed ramp.
but then you could have to long/short of an OAL, to light of a recoil spring, bad magazine or magazine spring., poorly manufactured feed ramp, lots of things can cause ammo not to feed properly including the shape, taper of the projectile.

Reactions: Leif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When I shoot with H&N round nose bullet I am having no problems at all. Only when when I use H&N hollow points. It is like they can't be guided to the chamber. The round is stuck to the bottom of the barrel. Not on the shell but on the start of the bullet. Oal is 28 mm. They are also having a different shape than the Hornady xtp hp. Maybe I should only use the round nosed. I can shoot them as fast as I can pull the trigger!
IMG_1544.JPG .

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
When I shoot with H&N round nose bullet I am having no problems at all. Only when when I use H&N hollow points. It is like they can't be guided to the chamber. The round is stuck to the bottom of the barrel. Not on the shell but on the start of the bullet. Oal is 28 mm. They are also having a different shape than the Hornady xtp hp. Maybe I should only use the round nosed. I can shoot them as fast as I can pull the trigger!
View attachment 446605 .
well as you mention and its obvious there is quite a difference in the taper of the projectile.
typically IF it feeds a round nose IF you can get a Hollow Point with a like taper and rounded front then you will have better luck.
Now I can't suggest anything as you are not from here, but here the Golden Sabre, the Gold Dot have such rounded tips.
to each his own but first thing of importance in a self defense gun is that it is reliable--with what you carry in it, but I must say myself I ain't carrying no stinkin FMJ/ round nose in a 9 MM weapon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The H&N projektile looks more like a cone shape. Unfortunately here in Denmark only the bad guys are carrying weapons like knives and guns! We cannot defend ourselves. Our weapen law forbids people be armed. Even a pocket knive where you can lock the blade is illegal. And if somebody breakes in your home you can't defend yourself with a baseball bat or a kitchen knive. You get in jail for committing violence! Sad, but true.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
The H&N projektile looks more like a cone shape. Unfortunately here in Denmark only the bad guys are carrying weapons like knives and guns! We cannot defend ourselves. Our weapen law forbids people be armed. Even a pocket knive where you can lock the blade is illegal. And if somebody breakes in your home you can't defend yourself with a baseball bat or a kitchen knive. You get in jail for committing violence! Sad, but true.

OHHHH!
so you are talking about plinking rounds only then?
Honestly and not taking a swipe at you but why even own a 9 MM or any other centerfire caliber and not a 22 Long Rifle chambered pistol?
is 22 not allowed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Not even a 22 is allowed for self protection! I am a member of a shooting club and We shoot competition. So I am a proud owner of a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, S&W m619 .357 magnum, FN150 .22 lr, Winchester 9422, Feinwerkbau airgun, S&W m22a-1 and now also a Taurus PT99.

·
32,530 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I will jump in here and add my 2 cents. It looks like the main problem is bullet shape. Taurus PT92,99 barrels come with sharp edges at the rear of the chamber and on mine I could not shoot wide mouth HPs or wide flat points. I eventually slightly chamfered and polished the edges of the chamber on mine and it feeds HPs just fine. But you may not want to do that. Mine is an EDC so I had to have it 100% reliable in feeding. I always run Mecgar mags as well.

As for bullet weights; in my experience: light bullets at high velocity = high slide speed; heavy bullets at lower velocity = lower slide speed.

Here is a link to my PT99 and a description of some of the work: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/member-introduction-forum-rules/400801-taurus-pt-92-99-fan.html
Enjoy your PT99. They are great guns.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
First, let me say that your PT-99 is NATO certified, meaning is is set up for the 9mm NATO round which is 124 grain FMJ bullet pushing 1250 fps or so. For US SAMMI standards, a NATO load is in the Plus P pressure area, I am not sure about European Standards (CIP). Your 115 grain bullets are probably hitting a little bit low from Point of Aim (POA).

As far as reloading for auto pistols, in general, the bullet ogive (that area on the bullet where the bearing surface begins to angle to the hollow point/tip of the bullet) needs to contact the feed ramp first, before the case mouth for best feeding. I found that out when reloading SWC cast bullets in my 1911, but I have noticed that it holds for all auto pistol cartridges, in general. Both those bullets you show have relatively short ogives so you probably need to seat them out a little further until can see the ogive hits before the case mouth. Ignore the cannelure since you should be taper crimping all your auto pistol reloads.

If adjusting the OAL of the cartridge does not fix the problem, then the feed lips of you magazine(s) is probably off and needs to be adjusted. I believe there are plenty of YouTube videos to tell you how to do this.

Polishing the feed ramp, under the barrel hood, and even into the mouth of the chamber will help feeding and extraction overall, but is probably not the issue here. Use a Dremel type tool with a bullet shaped felt pad and some white Jewelers Rouge to polish.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Agree!
owning several CZ and Tanfoglio weapons it will teach you pretty quckly that just becasue a projectile is a certain weight and certain profile( RN, HP, FP etc) doesn't mean they are all created equal and to the same dimensions.
Its not unusual for me to need to adjust my OAL due to diffetrent taper of the projectile to allow it to feed completely into the chamber.
I very seldom IF ever have a problem with the holow point failing to feed due to the cavity in the hollow point, its usually a OAL problem.
anyway hopeful all this input will help you sort it out.
the only projectile so far that i have been unable to get to feed into a weapon is the Ranier Spire point 180 grain in a AR-15 300 blackout.
now again i reload and can alter OAL and crimp etc as i see fit.
IN closing I will say that I own a 1987 model 99 and I have shot from 80 grain HP up through 150 grain projectiles of various nose designs and don't recall any on going issues with it feeding any?
but then again every weapon is different.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,939 Posts
First, let me say that your PT-99 is NATO certified, meaning is is set up for the 9mm NATO round which is 124 grain FMJ bullet pushing 1250 fps or so. For US SAMMI standards, a NATO load is in the Plus P pressure area, I am not sure about European Standards (CIP). Your 115 grain bullets are probably hitting a little bit low from Point of Aim (POA).

As far as reloading for auto pistols, in general, the bullet ogive (that area on the bullet where the bearing surface begins to angle to the hollow point/tip of the bullet) needs to contact the feed ramp first, before the case mouth for best feeding. I found that out when reloading SWC cast bullets in my 1911, but I have noticed that it holds for all auto pistol cartridges, in general. Both those bullets you show have relatively short ogives so you probably need to seat them out a little further until can see the ogive hits before the case mouth. Ignore the cannelure since you should be taper crimping all your auto pistol reloads.

If adjusting the OAL of the cartridge does not fix the problem, then the feed lips of you magazine(s) is probably off and needs to be adjusted. I believe there are plenty of YouTube videos to tell you how to do this.

Polishing the feed ramp, under the barrel hood, and even into the mouth of the chamber will help feeding and extraction overall, but is probably not the issue here. Use a Dremel type tool with a bullet shaped felt pad and some white Jewelers Rouge to polish.
Just a note in reference to the highlighted portion of GreenWolf's post.
The longer cartridge OAL will result in more case capacity, with a resulting decrease in pressure. You can double check this using a chronograph and bring your bullet speed back to desired FPS by an increase in powder. Using safe, measured and documented scientific methods of course.

:att: IMHO a chronograph is just as important as a powder measure or calipers. If you can't measure 'it', you don't know what you have. :att:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just had a fat girl come to my front door and ask me if I cussed her kids, and I said yes. So she slapped me, and I slapped her back, and that happened once more.
And the third time that she slapped me, I shin kicked her, with a light tap. And it went down hill from there, she called the cops, and I called the cops, etc.

She ran her mouth about having a gun, and she tried to sucker me into running my mouth, but I kept quiet about my .45 Auto. The cops came, they interceded, and so forth.
I went back inside and she went back home, and we did not kiss and make up.

The moral of the story? I have a gun, and it is loaded, and I am not afraid of fat chicks. My door was open, and I was on my front porch, and if she had barged in, I would have broken her arm.

And in Florida, that is legal and justifiable. I carry 2 lock blade knives with me anymore, and sometimes an aluminum walking stick. Those things are legal in a lot of America.

Welcome to the forum.

PS: I had a PT-99, and it is a good gun. If your trigger pull is too hard, you can trim off some of the trigger spring, and it will be a smooth as silk.
A cop buddy of mine had one, and that is what he did to his.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all your replies. They were all very helpsom. Now I know what I have to work with. I will return when I have solved my problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks MisterMills357. It was a cute story. I will definitely try to cut a piece of my trigger spring. You're advice was very helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMG_20191006_114248.jpg Hi guys.
Yesterday I tried the h&n 115 gr hp again. I cleaned and polished the mag. Stretched the mag spring. First shot. No problem. Second shot you can see the result on the photo. Same problem as before. Would it help to increase the oal to 29 mm or try Mecgar mags?
greetings from cold Denmark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts