Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Natchez Shooter's Supply has Fiocchi 115 gr. fmj ammo for $10.99 a box, and it's some good stuff. Muzzle velocity is listed at 1200 fps, and unlike the WWB and Federal Champion rounds they're not plated - they're brass jacketed rounds. I shoot a lot of Fiocchi 115 gr jhp's in my 9mm's, and I never get a hickup out of them. Unlike the aforementioned WWB and Federal ammo. The Fiocchi's are full powered loads, and it's good stuff. I ordered eight boxes on Monday, and they just arrived on my doorstep this morning. Even with the $15.79 shipping, it worked out to $13.06 per fifty round box. So it's as cheap or cheaper than what you can get at Wally World, and it's much better ammo. Just passing it along - Fiocchi 115 gr brass jacketed ammo.

And if you want something better than WWB or Federal, and even cheaper than Fiocchi, they've got Sellier and Bellot for $9.79 per fifty.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
FREEDOM MUNITIONS just posted another "KRAZY DEAL"

Krazy Deals

Krazy 9 Special

Krazy 9 Special!
We are offering a box of 500 rounds of 9mm 115 gr RN for $69.99! Just enter Coupon code krazy9r when you get to the Shopping Cart.
(Discount will show in the Shopping Cart after special promo code has been entered)

This is for a very limited time. Only 1 box per person (Quantity must show only 1 or Coupon code will not apply).
First 100 orders will receive the special price. Code can only be used once. Not valid with any other offers

I just bought another case.

(I have NO CONNECTION to FREEDOM)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried the Freedom Munitions stuff, but my understanding is it's remanufactured and the projectiles are plated. Personally I think I'd spend another $.30 per fifty round box and go with brand new, jacketed, S&B before I'd buy the FM stuff. But that's just me. I really like jacketed rounds better than the plated variety because they don't leave as much fouling in the barrel. And brass, being harder than copper, should be even better.

The specs on the FM ammo state 1150 fps muzzle velocity, while the Fiocchi is 1200 fps, and the S&B is 1279 fps. That little extra bit of powder charge with the relatively light 115 grain rounds can be the difference between reliable functioning and FTE's in some pistols. Myself, I'll spend a cent or two more per round to get first production ammo with a much better quality projectile, and a full power load.

·
Registered
205 Posts
dont know what wally world you are going to but the ones by me in N KY have the 100 round fed packs for 21 + tax

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont know what wally world you are going to but the ones by me in N KY have the 100 round fed packs for 21 + tax
The last time I was at Wally World I bought fifty round boxes of Federal and they were around $13 a box before tax. Didn't see the 100 round packs. The problem I've got with Federal Champions is they don't have enough pressure to lock the slide back on the last round in my Kahr CM9, and they're dirtier than Fiocchi's. I like the Fiocchi 115 gr. jhp's so much that they're what I carry in my CM9. Shooting the fmj Fiocchi's basically gives me the same ammo for practice that I use for carry. Not that the jhp's are that awful expensive - about $13 a box is the norm. They're full power loads that expand reliably, and that's all I really need in a 9mm SD round.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well first many that live in the upper-mid south can't order from Natchez!
they also sale wholesale to gun shops , etc, and so will not ship to any state that borders Tennessee, or at least thats the way it was some time ago.
anyway, I like S & B, Aquila, Dynamit Noble, first cause its available in 124 grain for 9 MM, second it seems to be a bit more potent than the Wally world Remmy and Winny ammo.
now all of it runs reliabally through my 9,s but if I can get better quality ammo at near the same price (plus New brass ) then thats usually what i go with.
Ammunition to Go normally has some real good prices on 9mm range ammo and one of the brands that i mentioned above are normally in stock and on sale.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well first many that live in the upper-mid south can't order from Natchez!
they also sale wholesale to gun shops , etc, and so will not ship to any state that borders Tennessee, or at least thats the way it was some time ago.
anyway, I like S & B, Aquila, Dynamit Noble, first cause its available in 124 grain for 9 MM, second it seems to be a bit more potent than the Wally world Remmy and Winny ammo.
now all of it runs reliabally through my 9,s but if I can get better quality ammo at near the same price (plus New brass ) then thats usually what i go with.
Ammunition to Go normally has some real good prices on 9mm range ammo and one of the brands that i mentioned above are normally in stock and on sale.
I've bought a lot of ammo from ATG, but when they recently bumped the price on a fifty round box of 45 acp 200 gr. gold dot +P's from $29.95 a box to $39.95 I started frequenting other dealers. SG Ammo had the same gold dots for $32 a box so they got some of my business, and I've bought all kinds of stuff from Natchez. They're prices are good, they don't try to rape you on shipping charges, and they don't screw around getting the product out. I still check ATG, but these days it's mostly for bulk Lake City 5.56's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know it's not the best, but I get 100 round 9 mm Federal's at Walmart for $19.99+tax, total $21.89 or $10.59/50. They go quick so I sometimes get Remington 100 rounds for $23.99.. Still cheaper to buy there than order online with shipping.. BTW-- I've shot over 1000 rounds of the Federal and 500-600 Remington through a SW M&Pc, Beretta 92FS and my PT92 AFS..

Just my $.02

If anyone that are paying more for the same ammo at Walmart, I'll take orders! LOL

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm about to put up a range report from 2 hours of testing 9mm that I had on hand for my Glock 34.
Short story - American Eagle 115 FMJ (bargain Federal) TOTALLY OUTSHOT the brand name box of Federal 115 FMJ!!
Herter's (through Cabela's) 115 FMJ was very accurate and at $9.99 a box - wow. They always had Steel case only under that name NOW the box says 'by Sellier & Beloit' and it's brass - time for a Google on that.
Winclean outshot White box Winchester - had half a box around from who knows when but I'll check the prices on that too.

I'm looking for my 9mm IDPA ammo. Anyone have a good line on 124 or 147gr JHP? Drop a line if you do - I'm thinking heavier is good. 115 is most or all of the FMJ on local shelves and I don't want to shoot JHP in matches.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I haven't tried the Freedom Munitions stuff, but my understanding is it's remanufactured and the projectiles are plated. Personally I think I'd spend another $.30 per fifty round box and go with brand new, jacketed, S&B before I'd buy the FM stuff. But that's just me. I really like jacketed rounds better than the plated variety because they don't leave as much fouling in the barrel. And brass, being harder than copper, should be even better.

The specs on the FM ammo state 1150 fps muzzle velocity, while the Fiocchi is 1200 fps, and the S&B is 1279 fps. That little extra bit of powder charge with the relatively light 115 grain rounds can be the difference between reliable functioning and FTE's in some pistols. Myself, I'll spend a cent or two more per round to get first production ammo with a much better quality projectile, and a full power load.
Freedom Munitions' ammo is FMJ to my recollection. I can pull a bullet and tell you definitively, but not right now.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Freedom Munitions' ammo is FMJ to my recollection. I can pull a bullet and tell you definitively, but not right now.
Definitely do that - I'd be real interested in knowing what you find.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I shoot alot of S&B ammo and usually pick it up when it is on sale for under $10 a box of 50. After shipping charges it will end up around $11.11 a box, which ain't bad for quality ammo dropped off at my back porch.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Anatomy of a 9 mm Freedom Munitions Blaster round (part 2)

2012-05-17_18-55-40_416.jpg 2012-05-17_19-00-19_110.jpg

I guess I was wrong. I think it's plated (even though they denote it FMJ on their website).

he pinkish tint and the shiny surface suggests plated copper (jackets look more yellow, and are more dull).

The bases are covered - if they were bare, we could confirm that they are jacketed. I cut into the round (right) with a file, and I hit lead. Now that's pretty subjective, but I find that jacketed rounds are harder to cut into. The hard crimp marks tell us that (1) FM crimps the rounds pretty tightly, and (2) it's likely to be plated; jacketed rounds will have marks, but they are harder.

4.4 grains of some sort of flake powder was used. No idea what sort, but looks much coarser than Accurate No. 7 I use.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well for plinking and target shootuing i don't see a lot of down side to using plated bullets myself.
I have shot several thousand rounds of fiocchi 38 Super 129 and its plated, and i reload almost exclusively either Berrys or Raniers plated in 380, 9mm, 38 super, 38 spl and 45 acp, shoots good, not dirty or messy and a good option in cost.
most rounds are well under 1000-1100 FPS, the 38 super is about 1200, they reccomend not pushing them over 1250 i think it is and the 38 super seems to like that speed as to accuracy/function.
Now the hollow points that are plated aren't worth a flip as far as I am concerned, I would neve ruse them for protection anyway but tried a few 9mm and 38 super 115 grain Hollow points from Ranier and they virtually did not expand a bit through several gallon jugs of water.
again some of these were trucking along at 1200 FPS and only ended up a mis- shapen maybe 40 caliber.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only thing I've got against plated bullets for practice is that they seem to leave more of themselves in the barrel than jacketed rounds do. Plating is a lot thinner than jackets too, so you might even get some leading with plated bullets. You can clean it out, but if I had my druthers I'd rather not have to. So given the choice of a plated or a jacketed round at the same price, or even a cent or two more per round, I'll take the jacketed variety.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts