Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had to let the 709 go. The magazine shortage is ridiculous. I just couldn't justify keeping a gun that you can't get any extra magazines for. I'm just not that patient. I also have a Pt111 G2. It's very close to the same size as the slim so that helped me make my decision. I've been carrying my model 85 Ultralite snubbie a lot as well and find it's a good alternate to the Mill Pro G2.

I have and have had a lot of Taurus guns but the main issue I have with them is not providing accessories (especially magazines) for their most popular pistols. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I really liked the 709 but I think i will stick to the G2 and 85 as my carry guns for a while.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
If let it go means "SOLD" then there is at least one person who does not share you sentiment regarding the magazine shortage; which is good news for you.

As to the G 2, I agree and am adamant to anyone who'll listen. The difference in size & weight is minuscule so I see no real advantage to the 709's existence. Except possibly in "non-free" states with silly magazine capacity limits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I sold it last week. I liked the idea of having the slim and the G2 but just got tired of searching and searching for mags. I will probably pick up a second G2 soon.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you really need to get rid of your 709, I will be happy to take it off your hands! I have plenty of mags to feed it and will give it a good home. ;-)

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, some times you just have to let them go for something else, no matter the reason. I have done this many times over the years.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
By by 709! Well, I certainly understand your frustration with the lack of mags.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There have been several thread announcing 709 magazines here as of late. It appears that Taurus is getting them out, or the distributors have "found them again". My PT638, bought a few weeks ago, came with two mags. Whether we like it or not, there is proof that some distributors, and even dealers, were reducing the sales to a single magazine, and selling the results as "spares, at additional profit. There were similar issues with Sig pistols only a few years ago. Sig took to announcing in it's information how many mags came with the gun. Even then, it took a year for the old stock excuses to peter out.

My 709 came with a spare in it's 1000 Denier Nylon case.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it is Dakota. I actually found 3 mags in a local store today. Guess that is what I get for selling my gun.

I tried the XD Subcompact and it's an awesome gun. I found it a little too heavy and thick. I am sticking with the PT111 G2 as my main carry gun. It's feels light and slim and is a breeze to carry.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sorry to hear you sold it, but I totally understand your frustration. My 709 also came with just 1 mag, and I literally had to comb the last gun show I went to to find a spare 709 mag. I have 3mags on backorder online for over 2months now and still no hope in sight.

The 709/740Slim pistols are great pistols IMO; everything except the mag shortage problem. I will keep mine because I pocket carry my 709, and its a good backup for my Glock26.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 709/740Slim pistols are great pistols IMO; everything except the mag shortage problem. I will keep mine because I pocket carry my 709, and its a good backup for my Glock26.
How are you able to pocket carry? My 740 is just too big for the back pocket in my jeans...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have gone the way for my 709 with high point 8 round c9,not a perfect fit at end on grip but no problems with cycling,only issue is the mag doesn't release like the taurus one, hopefully we won't ever be in a tactical issue to have to worry, 15.00 for the mag from hp

·
22,836 Posts
I sure hope Taurus does get this straightened out soon. I'd love to someday know if it really was the ATF screwing with them, or what.

I have an XD subcompact (the double stack, not the XDS). They are pretty bulky. I can make 1911 and Glock pistols from the same pattern just by shifting a seam a bit, but the XD series requires a wider pattern. But they are still concealable. I haven't carried mine since I got my ATI Titan 3 1/8" 1911. So my Titan and my TCP make up 99% of my carry.

How are you able to pocket carry? My 740 is just too big for the back pocket in my jeans...
No kidding; I'd have to go up three sizes to begin to think about pocket carrying some of the stuff people mention. :eek:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,663 Posts
No kidding; I'd have to go up three sizes to begin to think about pocket carrying some of the stuff people mention. :eek:
PSST--PSST----PSST!!!
Let me tell ya how its done!
Buy a pet Kangaroo!----------------------:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts