Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
Need a little info. As some may know I bought my wife a Saiga .223 so she can shoot fullbore with me. She is made up with it but I would like to bling it up a little for her. She went with a blue stock on her 1022 and blinged out pieces on her othe guns, so I though as a supprise I would get something done for her. I just contacted a Plating company in the UK for a quote and am probably going to get it fully gold plated for her. Any idea how plating stands up on functional firearms ?

Rgs

Chris

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
My guess is that anywhere that shows wear on the normal finish from firing will produce the same wear pattern or possibly more with a layer of gold on the moving parts. For all that, i would leave it as is or probably just paint it gold so i could do periodic touch-ups on it easily.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I'm not sure I would do the entire gun. As said before sometimes "less is more". Have you checked the internet for a DIY electro plating system and do it yourself? This way should a wear pattern appear you could always go back and replate it yourself saving a little pocket cash and down time having a company do it....again.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sounds like a waste of money and a perfectly good Saiga. If you want bling, polishing would be a more practical approach.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
In my view, the gun belongs to the wife of the OP. And if she likes Bling, then, well good for Her. Not everyone does, but then it is not someone elses gun that the OP is wanting to customize.
Further more, it the OP is looking to surprise his wife and go to the trouble of researching as to how to get it done....Great, Good for Him!!!! I am a firm believer that more men should make an effort to surprise and please their Spouse rather than take them for granted.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went for the middle ground. Orderd her a new dust cover, saftey and rail sysem. Going to plate them and fit them. She can always swap back to standard spec when she wants

1 - 10 of 10 Posts