Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if anyone's used Speer's 135-grain Gold Dot .38 Special +P jhp's in a titanium Taurus snubbie revolver that's rated for +P loads. The wife carries one of the "spectrum blue" M85 Ti revolvers with 125-grain Federal +P jhp's in it, and it does fine with the limited number she's tried. However, I've noticed that the 135-grain GD +P's seem to generate more recoil than the Federal loads do in my all-steel Ruger snubbie. I don't want to stress her Taurus Ti snubbie by pushing it too far.

I checked through the archives I could access and didn't find any info on this. The 135-grain Gold Dots are a superb snubbie load, and I'd like for her to have them in her off-duty gun. But not if it's gonna shake the gun to pieces.

Thanks for listening...,

Keith

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Since the gun is rated for +P you are just fine as far as not stressing the gun. The major manufacturers are careful to keep loads within the safe pressure range (which is what the +P designation is). Yes, it should be possible to fire enough hot loads to damage the gun but it will take quite a while and I wouldn't worry about it. I tend toward warm loads for my M85 (steel frame) and have no worries about it. There are members here who've had their M85's for many years with no issues.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3634.0

I haven't shot the 135gr loads but from what I've heard from people who have tested them or witnessed their testing they are a great defensive load.

Steelheart

1 - 3 of 3 Posts