Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a vintage Model 1884 Springfield Trap Door rifle. I have some 200 pieces of once fired brass on the way and have read that Hornady Leverevolution is shorter than SAAMI length and cannot be crimped well in the Lee dies. Has anybody encountered this? I need to load them light and also stay with cast lead. Thinking 300 grain with H335 pushing the bullet.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
682 Posts
I wish you posted this last weekend I could have gotten you about 50 more cases.
Was at a public range and was stunned at the amount of good brass sitting on the ground.
I picked up 280 308 and left the thousands of 223 just because I would go nuts processing it.

45-70 brass really stands out when you are looking. At first I thought they were 410 brass shotgun brass.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Don't see why the Lee die can't be adjusted to crimp it properly. I use a Lee Die to crimp .32 S&W Long, and .327 Fed Mag. Also 38spl and .357 Mag, so logic would suggest the .45-70 die would do the same. You will just have to adjust it down slightly for the shorter case.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
I'm jealous. I am looking for a 45-70 Govt. because I'm infatuated with this round, ever since I fired a few at Sand Lake.

As far as the FTX bullet, I had the same problem with it for my 30-30 in my Lee dies. They sent me a new seating stem, which didn't fix a thing because it was the same length as the old one. Then they sent me a ball bearing. I called them back, and asked them what the heck I was supposed to do with that, and they told me to unscrew the stem on top and turn it over, and tap the ball bearing down into it. I did, and it fit snugly but went all the way down. Then I was able to seat the FTX bullets. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish you posted this last weekend I could have gotten you about 50 more cases.
Was at a public range and was stunned at the amount of good brass sitting on the ground.
I picked up 280 308 and left the thousands of 223 just because I would go nuts processing it.

45-70 brass really stands out when you are looking. At first I thought they were 410 brass shotgun brass.
GO BACK!! I'll pay your range fee!! :D (provided you can find more)

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
"Some assembly required, instructions not included," TTG?

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I load and shoot a lot of 45 70. The Leverevolution cases are shorter than standard cases to allow for that plastic tip to cycle in lever guns. I have a set of Lyman and a set of Hornady dies for 45 70 but don't have a problem with crimping because I set my bullets out to just shy of touching the lands and I don't put much crimp on my loads since they are going to be used in a single shot rifle. You should certainly be able to do this with the Springfield. Be very careful with smokeless powder in a Trap Door as I witnessed a friend blow one up with what he said was mild handloads.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
1884 Springfield I think is the first trapdoor with a steel barrel rather than iron. The iron barrels age hardened and became brittle and shouldn't be shot. I can't remember what loads I used other than 60 grains of Goex 3F.

I used a bore solvent made from three equal parts from Murphy oil soap, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide.

My current loads for my Pedersoli Sharps, and Marlin 1895's are from Reloader 7.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1884 Springfield I think is the first trapdoor with a steel barrel rather than iron. The iron barrels age hardened and became brittle and shouldn't be shot. I can't remember what loads I used other than 60 grains of Goex 3F.

I used a bore solvent made from three equal parts from Murphy oil soap, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide.

My current loads for my Pedersoli Sharps, and Marlin 1895's are from Reloader 7.

Maloy
That's a scary thought...Is there a way to know for certain what the barrel is made of? I have read that FMJ is out of the question due to barrel wear. I really don't want to go to black powder or substitute...I had figured to use a lot of Trail Boss, but that can produce as much pressure as some other smokeless.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
As I have understood the short Leverevolution does not reach the crimp ring in Lee dies. It's not a matter of adjustment, it's a matter of brass length. Maybe a Lee FCD???

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Wow...addresses it totally. I bookmarked it in the event that I get a lot of Hornady cases. It's pretty pricey as I can get the entire three die Lee Pacesetter set for about the same price. As responsive that Lee Precision is, I am actually a bit surprised that they haven't come up with a solution like Redding.

Thanks for finding that!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The link does not work for me. Got a product #?

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The link does not work for me. Got a product #?

Funny..it works for me:

• Product #: 792664
  • Redding #: 86262
  • UPC #: 611760862625

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Thanks Czechbiker, you have given me 45-70 on the brain and I've been flirting with Gunbroker bids for a Handi-Rifle. :D I don't know if I'll come away with one right now but I could fool around and end up with one.

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Czechbiker, you have given me 45-70 on the brain and I've been flirting with Gunbroker bids for a Handi-Rifle. :D I don't know if I'll come away with one right now but I could fool around and end up with one.

My work here is finished....:cool:

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't know if you looked on Hodgedon website but the also have 45-70 trapdoor loads listed.

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ooh baby...One step closer. Received these this morning and they look great! Once fired, tumbled with the primers still in them...Looks to be all Remington brass so no worries about SAAMI specs, although I haven't put a gauge on it yet. 38 cents each from X Treme...don't overlook them when looking for brass! Now I need a three die Lee Pacesetter set, turret and some cast boolits. Not sure if I'll go with 300 or 405 grain. There are loads for the 300 with H335 which I have on hand...with the heavier round I may have to shop for powder.

Plastic wrap Plastic bag

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Wow, that would have me excited for sure. What kind of primers do you use on 45-70?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts