Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Planning a trip to Ohio in a few weeks weather permitting. I understand that pa ccw does not get recognised by Ohio. Is there open carry there? I googled it but for some reason can't get a straight answer. I don't want to feel naked without my gun.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I don't know if it's legal to open carry here or not, but I do know that you probably won't do it without problems. They've got some kind of phrase for it that basically amounts to inducing panic. So while it may (or may not) be legal to open carry in Ohio, it's illegal to 'induce panic.'

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ohio does have open carry laws. I, with my Indiana LTCH, can legally open carry in Ohio, even tho OH does not recognize my Ind lisc. I have my Utah so I'm covered. BUT the vehicle gun laws are alot different then I am use to. You have to have a permit/lic to carry in the car. As you would on a MC. Separate it, put it in the trunk, till you get where you are going.

Dont worry about the problems. There is alot of OC'ers in Ohio and they have no probs. Its not ilegal to carry a firearm. Know your laws. This web page will offer you alot more on gun laws for Ohio and every other state. They have a Ohio section. www.opencarry.org

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes we are a open carry state but it's better to CC. Less problems and hassles. I live in OH and I don't OC. Strictly CC for me. Plus half the people here think we can't OC.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes we open carry! I open carry everyday here in Cincy and rarely have a problem just the occasional police officer that needs to be re-educated on our laws and the Ohio constitution but nothing major. I could get my ccw and not have to worry about it but I disagree with paperwork and asking permission from the gestapo to use my rights.

Reactions: fudgie

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Yes we do but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did John Kasich do that or was that law already there? Sorry, open carry.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been informed that in NW Ohio you get a "Flying" Tackle if you OC and even cases where people yell "Terrorist!!" or something stupid like that, because people just don't ever read a book anymore and most people never fully read an article in any periodical, like MissKitty said " All people read is the headline and make up their minds that something is "Evil" or "Not Legal" and simply never verify anything" (I paraphrased what she said, but what she meant is still the same) So I would advise against it unless you want a not so pleasant trip. BTW I was in a gas station in Dayton Ohio last week, and a man from Texas walks in and he's carrying his Sig 2022 on his hip, Every one sees this 3 people asked if he was an "Off Duty" Cop. He said " No just passin' threw." and when he got to the counter the clerk "Freaks the hell out" hands him all the cash from the drawer and Says "please don't kill me sir." he handed the guy back the money and said "Boah <(Texas accent) are you retarded?!!" he gave the clerk $20 to pay for his gas and thanked him and left.. I was standing there just shocked as to the reaction of the people in the (Circle K) and I said "You Morons the guy was from Texas" and "Open Carry" is legal in this county and city and I said "I advise you all to read up on gun laws before you make your self look like a "Special ED" reject the next time you see a gun." and I left without buying anything. (mainly because stupidity Irks me badly and I had tons more to say to those people, but I didn't wanna get banned from (Circle K's nation wide).

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Open carry is leagal in Ohio. My suggestion would be, If you want to enjoy your time here, don't OC. Ohioians unfortunately aren't ready for it, but you would get to meet a lot of police officers!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
yes OC is legal in ohio but like everyone else already stated you will most likely get harrassed by LEO. a lot of LOE don't know the law pertaining to OC. OHIOANS FOR COCEALED CARRY has video and audio of individuals being detained by LEO for OC, they did not know the law. they had to call HQ and wait 25 min. to find out what the law was,the finally gave the individual his glock 17 back and advised him not to OC even though he was not breaking any law.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I really love riding my ol' Harley in Ohio, those guys have some of the best roads in the country for riding. I like the south east part of the state with all of the twists, turns & hills and the pavement is in great shape route 555 is a bikers dream and I try to make at least one ride a year to that area. I usually ride with a small group of close friends and we all CC, sometimes depending how you CC your weapon will peak out or show completely. I don't know but it could be that people expect bikers to be armed but I have never experianced any problems carrying in Ohio open or concealed.

!cid_5DFEAEB42BCA4E7EB1B650D599C7CCA8@DanJanH.jpg

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I really love riding my ol' Harley in Ohio, those guys have some of the best roads in the country for riding. I like the south east part of the state with all of the twists, turns & hills and the pavement is in great shape route 555 is a bikers dream and I try to make at least one ride a year to that area. I usually ride with a small group of close friends and we all CC, sometimes depending how you CC your weapon will peak out or show completely. I don't know but it could be that people expect bikers to be armed but I have never experianced any problems carrying in Ohio open or concealed.

View attachment 21531
My area is a prime destination for bikers, many thousands a year. Come ride around Lake Erie, look me up if you do, I'd be happy to show you around.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was under the impression Ohio recognizes all CCW licenses.. just not reversed. PA dose not accept Ohio.. Did this just recently change?

·
Registered
27,339 Posts
For future reference, you might want to check with your own government and find out why they do not have a reciprocity agreement with Ohio. That is the one place you can have an effect on this issue. And if the fault lies with Pennsylvania rather than Ohio - work for change.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I was under the impression Ohio recognizes all CCW licenses.. just not reversed. PA dose not accept Ohio.. Did this just recently change?
It never was that way. Might want to read up on the Ohio Law. Not knowing can get you in a world of dung. Check out the Attorney General's Website. Here's another good website: Handgunlaw.us. Ohio is pretty anal when it comes to CHL reciprocals. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
612 Posts
you are correct sir. I looked at the map on handgunlaw and buckey about a year or so ago. Don't know why I was stuck with that impression.

·
Registered
43 Posts
they did not know the law. they had to call HQ and wait 25 min. to find out what the law was,the finally gave the individual his glock 17 back and advised him not to OC even though he was not breaking any law.
Good thing they are to uphold the laws and not opinions lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ohio can havesome ruff counties for sure and you just have to watch how you are seen. I have had issue in alot of walmarts in hancock county gun unfriendly here. just a heads up keep it concealed if you can legally

·
Registered
540 Posts
It could be worse, Illinois won't honor anyone's permit nor will they issue one to anyone. The best you can do is get one of their firearm permits and carry it unloaded in a fanny pack (with the loaded magazine in there with it). I have to do a bit more reading but I believe only state residents can get said firearms permit. If I have to travel through Ohio, I'll have to put the piston in a case until I leave the state since they won't accept a PA CC license. That or go around the state since all the surrounding states will accept my carry permit.

The funny thing is, except for WV, non of the neighboring states will accept PA's carry permit. Weird...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts