Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ammo shortage and price gouging aside, what is the going rate for "range quality" ammo for a .45? My husband has been looking at them but then changed his mind because ammo is too expensive. Just a quick Google search found SD rounds for about .60 per bullet (if purchased by the case). What would regular bullets go for, assuming I could find them?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
There are several perspectives here. If you are talking gun shop ammo prices, you will be over $40 a box. Big box stores, Academy, Bass Pro and Cabella's about $25 a box, get really lucky at Walmart and find a 100 pack of Federal Champion bulk (excellent ammo) for $28,97....hey, that's less than $15 a box of fifty. Otherwise a box of 50 would be about $20.

I don't know if it is even viable anymore to find ammo on line. I'm hearing more stories of once very reputable companies no longer holding up their end of the bargain.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi, Julz. I was typically paying $18 up to $21-22 for brands like PMC, Federal (red box) and Magtech before December. $25 seems to be the going price in the sole LGS where I can semi-regularly find it.

HTH (hope this helps), TK

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Here in the Northwoods of Minnesota the going price seems to be $25.00 +/- $2.00 or $3.00 for a box of 50 rounds for standard ammo SD ammo will increase the price accordingly.

I haven't bought and SD ammo in 45ACP for some time as I have a couple hundred rounds of the original Black Talon rounds.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! He's trying to decide whether it's worth it to buy a .45 for a range gun. Would hate to buy one and have it be too expensive to shoot it, but it sounds like prices will be reasonable enough if I can track some down. I'm not having much trouble finding 9mm so I bet I can find the .45 too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was buying PMC at my local range yesterday for $23 a box. It's a cool round but too pricey for what I do. I just get it on occasion when I rent.

EDIT: I'd never pay more then 50 cents a round. Just sayin'

·
Registered
478 Posts
.50 a round tops.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
There seem to be quite a few .45 shooters in my area, but not nearly as many as there are 9mm, so .45's are comparatively a
bit easier to find. I just picked up a 100rnd box of Win WB's for $34 at Walmart.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
There seem to be quite a few .45 shooters in my area, but not nearly as many as there are 9mm, so .45's are comparatively a
bit easier to find. I just picked up a 100rnd box of Win WB's for $34 at Walmart.
I'm mostly reloading now but still have a good stash of factory ammo some ( most) dating to the last election. Price tags are rare on boxes but ( not sure where I bought it) WWB 115 fmj 100 pack was marked $10.95. I can't reload for that price now. Wow. Ouch.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I think the last stuff I bought was PPU for about $22

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
I seldom price ammo as i reload everything i shoot except 17 HMR and 22 LR.
but prices on 45 acp at the local range/gunshop run 20.00 for commercial reload range ammo (230 grain), and about 24-27 for new ammo like PMC, Fiocchi, etc.
hard to find a lot of selection actually, but one brand kills paper bad guys as well another!
self defense ammo is between .75 -1.00 per round depending on brand, how many in a box and type of projectile.
olfarhors reloads in 45 acp run about 10.00 bucks a box of 50 so i normaly give him all my ammo business!

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Buy all the 9mm ammo you can as you may be able to trade some for .45 if need be.
Walmart had WWB 100 round packs of .45 for $40 this morning.I would have bought some but I used my 3 box limit for 100 round boxes of Federal .223 for $35 instead.

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
I think you would be looking at around $20 for 50 rounds of FMJ, and between $30 and $35, possibly more, for hollowpoint ammo.

The beauty of reloading is, I buy FMJ or hollowpoint bullets for about the same price - there hasn't been a difference at all. So reloaders can make up hollowpoints for much less than what it runs for in stores, and shoot that in their guns to get a feel for how the gun will handle that kind of ammo.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yesterday bought 10 boxes (500 rounds) for $195.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My wife reminded me yesterday that my neighbor's birthday was coming up. Since he recently purchased a Taurus 1911, I figured a box of ammo would make a good birthday present.
'Twas none to be had in the area, and since he was a decent guy, I decided to give him a box from my factory-load stash. I dug out a Winchester White Box that still had the price sticker on it - $8.95.
I cannot remember how long ago that was!

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
My wife reminded me yesterday that my neighbor's birthday was coming up. Since he recently purchased a Taurus 1911, I figured a box of ammo would make a good birthday present.
'Twas none to be had in the area, and since he was a decent guy, I decided to give him a box from my factory-load stash. I dug out a Winchester White Box that still had the price sticker on it - $8.95.
I cannot remember how long ago that was!
I just had 4 Birthdays last week!
Hint-Hint-Hint-Hint!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought a single box for $20 because I didn't want to wait to shoot my new PT1911. But if you look around you can find it for about $17 per 50 here. I won't pay over $20.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts