Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going in for my NRA pistol class this morning. Hope it all goes well, I'll be using my PT92 for the class. Hoping to see my TCP back from Taurus in working order before I get the permit. :smile:

Avolow.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Good luck and shoot straight. The NRA class is not about being making you a great shooter, it is about making you a safe shooter. Remeber that everything in that class is tied to safety and you will do fine. As of this coming Sunday, I will be certified to teach that class!

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Be safe and enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Going in for my NRA pistol class this morning. Hope it all goes well, I'll be using my PT92 for the class. Hoping to see my TCP back from Taurus in working order before I get the permit. :smile:

Avolow.
You'll do fine. My instructor correctly told us that qualifying was the most fun part of the class.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Which one? Basic Pistol? Self Defense? Any of them are good, just curious which one. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just got back home. Class was fun and a breeze. ;D It's pretty much all just (like it was said) common sense safety with a little bit of mechanics tossed in on top.

There was only 4 people in the class but two were old hunting buddies and knew the shop keeps and the third guy never shot before and picked up his shiny new Glock .45 today from the shop keeps.

About the only thing I didn't know before the class was during break/rambling time I found out that if you can push the slide on a semi auto pistol even a 1/2 inch it is useless. Never knew that before today. Granted that is a pretty bold thing to try and do if someone is pointing it at you.

It was a fun day and a good refresher on thing hadn't thought about since I started shooting 7 or 8 years ago.

Avolow.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Have fun!! That is a good class to take.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well, just got back home. Class was fun and a breeze. ;D It's pretty much all just (like it was said) common sense safety with a little bit of mechanics tossed in on top.

There was only 4 people in the class but two were old hunting buddies and knew the shop keeps and the third guy never shot before and picked up his shiny new Glock .45 today from the shop keeps.

About the only thing I didn't know before the class was during break/rambling time I found out that if you can push the slide on a semi auto pistol even a 1/2 inch it is useless. Never knew that before today. Granted that is a pretty bold thing to try and do if someone is pointing it at you.

It was a fun day and a good refresher on thing hadn't thought about since I started shooting 7 or 8 years ago.

Avolow.
Yep. But, counting on grabbing the BG's gun and sliding it out of battery is a last ditch, desperate attempt at self preservation.
Not saying you shouldn't try it if everything went Code Black on you, but I hope you have at least had a chance to draw your weapon, or have something sharp or heavy in your other hand! I don't think the BG will just go "aww shucks, you stopped me"!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hehe, oh I wasn't planning on ever trying that. The instructor was telling me that the bad guys might try it though. I am in no way quick enough to pull off that fancy bit of action movie razzle dazzel. Thanks to all the different martial arts I took in my youth I do know how to effectively back up, if given the room, long enough to cover myself.

Avolow.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Well, if you don't mind getting your palm burned, grab the semi around the ejection port, push the gun away, and if the BG fires, hopefully not hitting you, it will jam.
Rip it from his grip, tap, rack and BANG!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts