Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the bad news. Only way to get the money was to sell my Mossberg 30-06 (Wife not against guns in general, just me having a permit, go figure).
Good news is I got about what I wanted for it and..................
Signed up for the CWP class on February 4th. at a LGS, cost $65.
Also got the $50 MO to mail to S.L.E.D. (State Law Enforcement Division) for the permit fee.

Now to get those electronic muffs and some factory ammo for the class.
ON MY WAY!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Good for you! But you know what they say 'bout us old folks totin' firearms dont you? Can't run so they 'ell shoot....

Old Coot with Guns.gif

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy the class. Here in TX, we need to pay around $100 for the class and $140 application fee for 1st time & $70 for renewal.

I believe your wife is a strong believer in the Castle Doctrine.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got my Electronic muffs today ($25). Also 200 rounds 9mm FMJ at Wally World. All set to go.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, maybe a dumb question (I know, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers), which way do the microphones point, front or rear?
I'm thinking rear because the RO will be behind us at the range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good luck with your class. No better feeling than knowing you can take care of you and yours, even if your wife isn't convinced.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Some of the required things they teach are hard to stay awake for, but it is stuff you need to know. Stay awake, pay attention, have fun, and good luck!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Welcome to the 2nd amendment, carry polite!

·
Registered
144 Posts
who are you going to for the class? We did ours with C & D Firearm Instruction.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I got mine in MB at the Bass Pro Shop. They offered a free (I think) class and all we had to pay for was the application and fingerprint fees. Several of us got together and made it a day trip, good times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find stories like this so wild on having to take classes and what you pay for them in other states. Here in Alabama you walk into your sheriffs office, fill out some paperwork, your name is ran to make sure you don't show up as a red flag, take your picture and hand them $25. I think I was in and out in 30 mins with a PP that allows me to carry in my car or concealed. I'm mailed a flyer once a year to renew it and thats it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find stories like this so wild on having to take classes and what you pay for them in other states. Here in Alabama you walk into your sheriffs office, fill out some paperwork, your name is ran to make sure you don't show up as a red flag, take your picture and hand them $25. I think I was in and out in 30 mins with a PP that allows me to carry in my car or concealed. I'm mailed a flyer once a year to renew it and thats it.
And that is the reason the SC permit is NFG in Alabama and vice-versa.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Godd luck man! Is this a instructional class? Is there a pass fail? I was just wondering. I also live in Alabama and just like Artic said it was a breeze. I understand that all state laws are diffrent but it's just crazy in some states what you have to go through to get a CCW.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best I understand is a 4 hour class on safety, carry restrictions (laws) and whatnot. Supposed to be a test at the end of the class, I think multple choice, and 70 is passing.
Live fire at a B-27 target at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 and 15 yards, 5 rounds from ready and presentation, except at 12 and 15 5 rounds presentation only within the time limit for firing.
No scoring points and passing is at least 35 holes in the black silhouette.
Not a problem since I regularly shoot at 15 yards for the handgun shootout and while my groups aren't the greatest, at least all the shots are 8-ring or better.
10 yards for me is a bit better, anything closer I can't miss the center.

3 Yards (9')
1 round fired from the ready position in 3 seconds
2 round fired from the ready position in 5 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 5 seconds
2 round fired from the presentation position in 7 seconds

5 Yards (15')
1 round fired from the ready position in 3 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 5 seconds

7 Yards (21')
1 round fired from the ready position in 4 seconds
2 round fired from the ready position in 6 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 6 seconds
2 round fired from the presentation position in 8 seconds

10 Yards (30')
1 round fired from the ready position in 4 seconds

1 round fired from the presentation position in 6 seconds

12 Yards (36')
5 round fired from the presentation position in 12 seconds

15 Yards (45')
5 round fired from the presentation position in 15 seconds

sujofox would know more about what the classroom stuff is, he already took the class.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Should be no problem for someone that has been around guns and gun talk for any amount of time and can come at least close to graduating high school. Listen to the instructor and take notes, read the test questions very carefully. I think I missed 1 or two because they were tricky. But as long as you pass is all that matters.

I thought the shooting test was infallible but there were a couple of folks there that could not hit a full size silhouette at 7 yards. Clearly they needed more training and practice. If you can do the 15 yard and the 12 yard tests as mentioned above, you got it.

There was guy made it a little too easy.

SLED: CWP instructor gave students answers to test - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Odd I didn't see that report on TV, that's the main channel I watch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts