Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For pocket carry.

For a 9mm the K-T PF9 K-T PF9 is what I've decided looks the best. I have a PT92 in stainless and a Bersa .380 duo tone...

If I was going to get a .380 it'd be a P3AT or Ruger LCP....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
For a small pocket pistol, it is hard to beat the P3AT matched to the right ammo for dependability. You may also look at the M85 or like sized framed revolver. They are a little larger to conceal, but then I have big pockets on my man sized jeans.

·
Registered
356 Posts
When you say "looks the best" what do you mean? Are you actually talking aesthetics or something else, because aesthetics should be your lowest priority when choosing something primarily for self defense.

If I was looking at a 9mm it'd be the LC9 (which I have) or the CM9. If you have a lot of patience and money... the Boberg XR9s.

For the .380 I'd pick the LCP or the TCP 738 (which I have), or the Kahr P380 (a bit more $$).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
By "looks the best" I mean appears to meet my desires the best. The three highest concerns are weight, size, and price. Actually that's not true, first reliability, second is round size, then weight, size, and price, and then throw in a good warranty....

The LC9 was dismissed on it's weight, the CM9 and PM9 made the short list but cost has moved them down the list.

When you say "looks the best" what do you mean? Are you actually talking aesthetics or something else, because aesthetics should be your lowest priority when choosing something primarily for self defense.

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
I don't know what you desires are, but I've owned and carried at times, a P3AT. It's about as simple, easy to use, and accurate for what they are, as they come. I've never had an issue with it, even when full of pocket dust and lint. It has served my uses very well.

Oh, and did I mention, it's ugly as sin?

Reactions: Lommerse33

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly the information I'm looking for thanks! It is at the top of my list if I "settle" for a 380.

I don't know what you desires are, but I've owned and carried at times, a P3AT. It's about as simple, easy to use, and accurate for what they are, as they come. I've never had an issue with it, even when full of pocket dust and lint. It has served my uses very well.

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts

Ugly as sin, but IMO the perfect size for a 380 caliber pocket gun. So is my LCP.

·
Super Moderator
19,861 Posts
Ditto TTG's remarks. I have the same gun and it is easily carried, is extremely concealable and is comfortable. It is occasionally my primary but, more frequently, is backing up one of my IWB MilPros.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I was just kidding about the KelTecs. They are the ones that kicked this entire .380 sub/sub/compact pocket pistol movement into high gear.

I've owned the TCP, the LCP, and the S&W Bodyguard; and of the three, I prefer the Bodyguard because of it's ergonomic design and flawless dependability.

07 - Trio of Deep-Conceal Carry Pistols.JPG

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
If you are going for the 9mm, the PF9 has a good reputation and would be hard to beat. I too am looking at buying a subcompact for CC, and I am going to buy a .380. I have narrowed it down to the MPA Protector II and the IO Hellcat. I am leaning toward the MPA....

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The P3AT has been my constant companion for over 4 years. Easy to conceal, reliable and IMHO, amazingly accurate for it’s size.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
If you want really small in 9mm you might consider a diamondback. I've not fired one, but have seen a few. Can't attest to its reliability either. Just thought you might want to take a look at one. The company is U.S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounde like one of the Kel Tecs to me then. So how does the hard chrome with grey frame look?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought a Kel-Tec P-11 for CC. Found it a bit bulky. My constant companion now is a TCP. I have shot the Kel-Tec P-3AT and Diamondback .380. They are all nice. You really can't go wrong whatever you choose. Important thing is to carry something. CYA!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I wouldn't buy a pistol unless I like it. My pocket choice is a S&W BG380 but my main carry is a PT140 which I wouldn't change.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I have a Ruger LCP just for its concealibility. It's easy to forget you are carrying it sometimes. I am
not a fan of the long trigger pull, but otherwise, I enjoy carrying and shooting it.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My pocket pistols are my Polish Radom P-64 (9x18) and my PT-22 Poly (.22 LR). Though i've been liking the PT-22 more lately because it keeps it's orientation in my pocket better than the P-64.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
For pocket carry.

If I was going to get a .380 it'd be a P3AT or Ruger LCP....

Thoughts?
Start with one of those as your first pocket gun. The size of guns in that class will fit in almost every pocket you own and the weight is negligible even when loaded.

Maybe some time after that you can expand your collection for smaller or bigger "pocket" guns. I find something in the LC9 size just a bit too big for most of my pockets, yet an alloy framed revolver will fit in most of my pockets just fine.

Always consider the draw from your pocket as well. I can stuff my Glock 36 or CZ 75 PCR in some pockets, but the draw is troublesome and printing is mad crazy (not to mention weight). In a revolver's case the length is not as noticeable as an autoloader because the revolver has an overall curved shape to it which helps in the draw and can print less.

Example, Taurus 85UL over Glock 36. In my case the 85UL makes a good pocket gun, the 36 does not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
IMO, I would buy a handgun based on looks alone...
Keep in mind there can be a big difference in carry guns and range guns. Yes, I shoot my carry gun at the range, but no where near as much as I do my range guns.

I originally looked at the Keltec P3AT, but decided on a TCP. I have since replaced the TCP with a Bodyguard 380 due to the way it fit in MY hand.
These small pocket guns are awesome for daily carry and are priced low enough that I do not wince every time I bump them or scratch them.

Obviously, they do not have the stopping power as the larger calibers, but I carry my 380 considerably more than I did any of my Glock 9mm's.

As much as I try, I will never be as accurate with these small guns - but I feel pretty good out to 12-15 yards.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts