Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this.
Just wondering if anyone has used Glow-On paint or something else that works good? How do you like it?
Should I paint my sights or just leave them standard white-dot?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I was looking at some glowing paint to touch up the sights on my G2. The reports on Amazon were good.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Bought some of the light absorbing paint from a bait and tackle store years back. It would glow if exposed to light but with the gun in the holster wasn't exposed to enough light. I just use a base coat of white nail polish or model car paint and then blaze orange over it. For night sights I spend the money for good ones. Shooting at night requires practice. With practice you can learn to use light to your advantage. The sight outline when aiming into a lighted area can be picked up quickly with practice. You want light on target, not the gun. We shoot pest critters at night year round with both open sights and scopes. The light is put on the critter, and then sights on point of aim. With empty gun sit in a dark room and aim at a TV or light in a different room. The outline of the sights are easy to see. With a scope a distant light is easy to put the cross hair on. Paint really helps more in light.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I did my sights with FolkArt GLOW Acrylic Paint Phosphorescent Green from the craft section in Walmart.
Very visible in daylight and will retain a glow if exposed to a bright light.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The best way is not to use the Glow in the Dark (GID) paint, but powder. Essentially, clean out the dot and repaint with flat white (becomes the background). Then mix some of the GID powder into slow cure epoxy and use a toothpick to put a drop in the dots. In daylight the sights will appear white and bright green in the dark. The epoxy suspends the GID powder which you will not see until it is dark. Check the Glow Inc. Forums for details on using the powder on your sights. All my carry pistols have their sights done this way.

Glow in the Dark Powder

BTW, you will only need a little bit of the powder, so the smallest size will do.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I've always wondered how Reflective Highway Paint would do, just not cost effective to buy since I've only seen it in gallons for a not so reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
i used glo-on on my pt92. original green is the brightest. makes a good light colored sight picture in daylight, and holds a glow for over 5 hrs, so long as your eyes are adjusted to the dark. it only stays bright for about 10-15 min. then it turns to a duller glow. it dims very slowly after that.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I prefer a tritium front sight over glow paint. I've tried glow paint and even have one gun that came from the factory with glow paint sights. The trouble is the glow sights have to be kept in a light source to be "charged". Once I remove the glow sights from the light source I only get maybe 5 minutes of truly visible glow with the glow diminishing that entire time. Meanwhile, the tritium glows for years.

Going tritium is not cheap, but if shopping carefully it can be found reasonably priced. Just think of the energy $ you'll save by keeping a charging light turned off for the glow sights. Plus, you won't ding your night vision with a bright "charging" light either. :D

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html

I've had good luck with nighsiters. Glow brighter than any tritium I've ever seen and gradually get softer as the night passes. Up side - they can be charged with a black light or sun light & are a decent replacement for failing NS on surplus PD trade in guns, where the expenses of new NS or replacement of the tubes just doesn't make fiscal sense.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Tritium is worth the investment for guns that would need it. For guns where it's not an easy option (such as the 92 style guns), I just use an orange nail polish, obnoxiously bright as possible. I tried various GITD materials, they were honestly a little distracting.

I install GITD side markers on guitar necks as a money making hobby, I have various sizes of GITD circle stickers to sticks of lumilay material, both work just fine when charged up with a proper UV light. That's the key, though, having a proper UV light to charge the glow material. A few seconds under UV will charge it more than minutes under normal lighting. I include small UV photon microlight keychain style lights with the guitars I do and they are tiny and efficient.
But like I said, having those glow materials on my gun sights was a little distracting, like previous posters, I would rather have a lit up target and use the silhouette outline of the sights, I've found myself to be faster with that method.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights

I've had good luck with nighsiters. Glow brighter than any tritium I've ever seen and gradually get softer as the night passes. Up side - they can be charged with a black light or sun light & are a decent replacement for failing NS on surplus PD trade in guns, where the expenses of new NS or replacement of the tubes just doesn't make fiscal sense.
Replacement of tubes is really a trivial cost. If you have Trijicons, they replace tubes/vials for ~$18/vial. Considering that'll last you upwards of a decade, it's probably one of the few things gun related that does make fiscal sense.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Replacement of tubes is really a trivial cost. If you have Trijicons, they replace tubes/vials for ~$18/vial. Considering that'll last you upwards of a decade, it's probably one of the few things gun related that does make fiscal sense.
Ok assuming your #'s are correct $18 x 3 tubes = $54 (last I looked Trijicon was charging the public $60 for a complete tube replacement of front / rear tubes). Plus the shipping / insurance costs, minimum $10. That makes $68 minimum probably closer to $75 + return shipping $10 so now we are at $85 roughly, when said & done. Not to mention being without the slide for 4-6 weeks. In my humble opinion at that point, why not just pay $15 more for a new set on sale ($100) and install them your self.

So I ask? You pay $350 for a used gun do you spend $20 on a inexpensive NS solution, or $85 to $100 on a true NS upgrade or replacement? I guess it depends on your priorities? I have both. As the trijicons fail; I won't be replacing them with tubes or new Trijicon NS. I'd rather invest the $ in other things.

So to recap - you buy a used PD gun typically $350 then spend another $100 on a NS set now you are at $450. A new Glock can often be had for $475 - $500. So again to me, maybe I'm missing something? Not the best $ spent.

As always YMMV. :cool:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ok assuming your #'s are correct $18 x 3 tubes = $54 (last I looked Trijicon was charging the public $60 for a complete tube replacement of front / rear tubes). Plus the shipping / insurance costs, minimum $10. That makes $68 minimum probably closer to $75 + return shipping $10 so now we are at $85 roughly, when said & done. Not to mention being without the slide for 4-6 weeks. In my humble opinion at that point, why not just pay $15 more for a new set on sale ($100) and install them your self.

So I ask? You pay $350 for a used gun do you spend $20 on a inexpensive NS solution, or $85 to $100 on a true NS upgrade or replacement? I guess it depends on your priorities? I have both. As the trijicons fail; I won't be replacing them with tubes or new Trijicon NS. I'd rather invest the $ in other things.

So to recap - you buy a used PD gun typically $350 then spend another $100 on a NS set now you are at $450. A new Glock can often be had for $475 - $500. So again to me, maybe I'm missing something? Not the best $ spent.

As always YMMV. :cool:
Guns and fiscal sense you say?!?! Hey, if your HD/SD is designed around using night sights and the ones on your LEO used purchase go south you still need night sights to meet the needs of the plan to protect yourself and your family. There is no money to be saved in that.

The gun and older night sights was a bargain. THERE you saved money - what other wear and tear parts would you downgrade or not repair?! Guns are machines. Machine parts have a finite life.

Here's fiscal sense: you buy a gun then spend 10, 20 maybe 100 times the cost on ammo or reloading supplies. Maybe you'd better slow down the training, matches and practice sessions - that stuff will run you into the ground M8!! :eek:

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Guns and fiscal sense you say?!?! Hey, if your HD/SD is designed around using night sights and the ones on your LEO used purchase go south you still need night sights to meet the needs of the plan to protect yourself and your family. There is no money to be saved in that.

The gun and older night sights was a bargain. THERE you saved money - what other wear and tear parts would you downgrade or not repair?! Guns are machines. Machine parts have a finite life.

Here's fiscal sense: you buy a gun then spend 10, 20 maybe 100 times the cost on ammo or reloading supplies. Maybe you'd better slow down the training, matches and practice sessions - that stuff will run you into the ground M8!! :eek:
That's what this whole thread is about correct? There are some other options out there & that was what the OP asked about. I can NS FIVE pistols for the price of one set of Trijicons. To me that is a good deal. To each their own. It's cool. :cool:

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
To your other points - let us be honest: the average person spends very little time training period. You are correct, training is priceless and should be given priority IMHO. It comes down to balancing time, which in case most of you have forgot IS $, and the ability to devote it.

Back on topic - OP I have used true night sights and nitesiters for years now. They both work well in my experiences.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
That's what this whole thread is about correct? There are some other options out there & that was what the OP asked about. I can NS FIVE pistols for the price of one set of Trijicons. To me that is a good deal. To each their own. It's cool. :cool:
Maybe I was not clear. "Glow-On Paint or Something Else?" - MY VOTE was for something else and totally on topic.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I have tried nite siters, glow in the dark paints, fiber optic and tritium sights.
the nite siters were Ok until they basically fell out of the sights over a period of months, or one would fall out , making it useless?
the glow in the dark paint I still have on several guns, I like the radioactive yellow myself.
it glows vey well for about 1 - 2 hours.
the tritiums are just excellent in the dark, they last years an years and they are basically maintenance free.
IN a situation where I can see the target outline then even dot sights work for me, but in real darkness the Trits are my ticket.
Don't now about everywhere but I just had a set of trits put on my CZ P-01 as its my carry gun, shipping to the company, installation of the sites, the sites themselves and return shipping cost me about 115 bucks, they were done a week and shipped back.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Never said you were off topic. Was trying to keep myself on topic.
I got side tracked with cost vs benefit analysis. Hey if you have the money cool the life of a set of Tritium NS is typically 10 to 12 years depending on the brand. They have a "half life" for those unfamiliar to them meaning they glow pretty steady for the first half of their life then fade for the last half. Of the glow sights (non tritium) I've had the best experience with nitesiters with my oldest still glowing very strong after 4 + years of carry. I think if compared to a similar age set tritiums which I happen to have (and both good choices for me) it looks like this- pictures to follow

1 - 20 of 36 Posts