Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get some glow-in-the-dark paint so I can re-dot the white area of my sites to have a night sight effect? My current sights are fine and very accurate so I only want to make them visible in a low light condition. I do not want to spend $140 on regular tritium insert sights either so that is not an option.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: Glow-in-the-dark pain for sights

Years ago they used to sell phosphorescent paint at gun shows. You could paint the sights and then hit them with a flashlight before going out and they would glow for hours. The looked like the numbers on a watch in the dark. Still have some on the sights on my PT99. I have tried similar products since and haven't had much luck with them. You might also look for finger nail polish that glows in the dark.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I found some sight paint at www.sportsmansguide.com. They have different colors available in a kit and a smaller single color, phosphorescent kit. We used it on a couple of weapons and have had no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts

It is my understanding that many of the glow paints sold by firearm supply dealers don't last long. This site was recommended by an armorer I know.I have not tried it myself. www.glopaint.com.
:) Notice glow lasts to 12 hours.

·
32,658 Posts

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1252.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1090.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1721.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1953.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0

Doing a search with the search tab, while on the homepage, would bring up everything about night sights, including some non-expensive ones. Even has the how to do it in these threads. The Smithing board threads have most of the info for all this.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
32,658 Posts

Do have one down side to the glow paint.

Since the glow time is very finite you better hope that glow does not cease in low light during a defense situation. The light ceases and you have no reference point for your sights.

If you turn on a light of any kind to refresh the glow the attacker or attackers will now know exactly where in the building you are. The light will be a bright beacon and light you up. Literally. This means they can fire or approach close enough to use a close in weapon. This would happen before you are ready to fight back. Turning on a light destroys one's night vision and that can take many seconds to minutes for it to return. Being totally vulnerable is not a good idea.

Tactical lights you can hold or put on the pistol that can be turned on for very brief periods of time would be a better way to go.

There are techniques to turn on the light for a brief second, scan the area while in that brief period, turn off the light, and move to a new location. Never backlight,silhouette yourself, or give away the location of where you are to an attacker. If you recognize the target as hostile, then fire. Verify 100% by eyeballing the target is the bad guy.

And if you use the same position to use the light, differ the heights when you do a scan.

Refreshing the glow may not be tactically possible for any number of reasons. Time is of the essence. Can get one or loved ones killed or hurt.

So either real night sights for low light conditions, a flashlight you can hold with one hand and the gun with the other, or a mounted light on the gun with prssure switch can help you deal with a defense scenario better than glow paint on a sights can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are some stick-on, glow-in-the-dark sight products at Nitesiters.com. Glow stuff contained in some polymer "paper" with adhesive on the back. Anyone know anything about them? Sounds like they could be worth a look.

A lot of paints will glow for some time, but only faintly after the first 15 to 30 minutes, so I'm skeptical about paint. First 15 to 30 are good, but the rest of the time not so much -- too faint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't know about nowadays, but regular paint stores (Sherman Williams, etc) used to carry glow-in-the dark paint in small containers. Perhaps a hobby shop also.

The problem that I experienced with it is that its similar to rechargable batterys. The paint has to be charged by light, then it will glow for some time, then dead. so you would have to expose the sights to light before going to bed?, then they would glow for several hours, however not for all night.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is this for in-home-defense?

If so, I would recommend spending the money & getting real tritium. I know you said it's not an option right now, but, one day (maybe soon) it will be an option....on that day I would buy tritium sights.

Okay, but what can you do today? If it is for use in the house (God forbid), you may be able to set up a situation where you have an advantage. Outside lights with motion detectors. Secure locks on your windows. Alarm system.

Another thing is the light switch that activates when someone is in the room. If, for example, you have a livingroom light switch by the back door, replace it with one of these. Then, if someone gets in the door, the lights will come on....that alone will scare off most theives. If they stick around, you'll see what to shoot at.

There are quite a few inexpensive things you can do at home.

If it is for away from home protection, the paint might work. I'd still save up for tritium.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone tried nitesiters.com? Stick-on sight product that glows in the dark? ("super photoluminescent, super adhesive, ... brighter than tritium, ... glows for many hours, ... $9.95 ...) Anyone have any experience? (thanks)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heya guys...

Dugo, Do a search on this board for Nitesiters and you'll see other peoples feedback for them

THANKS!
Dave Presley
Nitesiters

1 - 13 of 13 Posts