Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my first Glock, I test fired a rental gun some time back and did pretty well with it at the range. I've yet to fire this one.

This one is a blue label G21 Gen 4 turned in by the PA State Police complete with night sights and their engraved logo. This pistol is so clean it looks brand new, Glock smile is non-existent. It was filthy on the inside so a good cleaning was the first order of business. I opted for a $20 hand select fee to get one in the best condition and was not disappointed. It will be in the CC rotation. All but two of my CC firearms are full size service pistols so no issues there. On body, its home will be a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Classic holster with that leather lined Kydex. Eeeeaasy on the finish. Its a Glock, right? I'm not supposed to ever clean it, just throw it in the glove box or run over it with a truck if I want to. Um...no. I'm kind of OCD about my pistols' finish, I admit it.

What's a little unnerving are the stories about Glock leg, Glocks discharging inside holsters for no reason, Glocks discharging when people fall down, when people field strip them for cleaning, when people breathe on them, when people look at them funny, etc. Seems like holstering/unholstering are when most people get in trouble. Although my first Glock, it's not my first striker fired pistol with the Glock style trigger/takedown (e.g., 709, PT111 G2). Only difference is this pistol has no external safety and every other one I have does. For any pistol, I see no reason to put my finger inside the trigger guard except to fire it or take it down only after making sure it's cleared but I do that anyway. They have their fans and detractors. I like them

This deal was too good to pass up. NIB Gen4 G21s go for $600+
Check them out at Classic Firearms.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Congrats! And welcome to the darkside!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Very clan and crisp looking. Looks like the PAPD trooper put this one in the drawer and forgot to carry it. Sweet looking Bang Pop.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
that looks brand spanking new! great find!

Creek

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you pistol.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Looks like that particular trooper only shoot enough to qualify each year. Good find!

·
Registered
24,535 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Congratulations on your G21. I know you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I don't think Glocks discharge for no reason!
there are reasons, like operator error, stupidity, lack of familiarization with the weapon.
the difference with Glock is that you usually don't get a second chance to think man that was stupid of me , glad I had the ----- what ever safety engaged when I did that.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Here is a link that may shed some light on the safety of Glock Pistols. Contrary to popular beliefs a Glock is not a striker fired pistol in the sense that the firing pin spring is not completely compressed until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. A striker fired pistol such as the S&W M&P, Taurus, Khlar and others fully compresses and cocks the firing pin spring when the slide is cycled and the trigger only releases it. Most of these pistols rely on firing pin and trigger safeties which disengage when the trigger is pulled. It is a good article if you take time to read it.

Understanding Your Glock ? Guts of the Gun #1; Striker Fired Pistols

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is a link that may shed some light on the safety of Glock Pistols. Contrary to popular beliefs a Glock is not a striker fired pistol in the sense that the firing pin spring is not completely compressed until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. A striker fired pistol such as the S&W M&P, Taurus, Khlar and others fully compresses and cocks the firing pin spring when the slide is cycled and the trigger only releases it. Most of these pistols rely on firing pin and trigger safeties which disengage when the trigger is pulled. It is a good article if you take time to read it.

Understanding Your Glock ? Guts of the Gun #1; Striker Fired Pistols
I did read it and it was very interesting, especially the part which describes the striker state according to the pistol brand. Pulling back the slide fully cocks the striker. Various safeties block the striker against spring tension until the trigger is pulled. (e.g., Taurus, Kahr, XD and others) vs partially cocked at all times (Glock).

One analogy for the Glock Safe Action/Striker design is as a pinball machine launcher piston. Squeezing the trigger causes the striker pin to be pulled back against the partially loaded spring. The striker pin is then released causing it to strike the pinball (primer). Also, no second strike ability on the Glock (unlike Taurus). You gotta eject the dud round. Thanks for the heads up on this article. I saved it as a favorite.

Reactions: mingaa and jwc007

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Extremely nice looking 21....

I like Glocks....Gen 2's are my favorites

1 - 20 of 31 Posts