Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, well... oh boy, oh boy, oh boy..!!

Here I am, about to hit 70 in October, and I've been 'Glockified' today..!! My first trip to the range with my week old (well to me at least - I know it came out of the factory in November 2020) Glock 44. I have been home for over five hours and I'm still grinning..!!

It was a gorgeous day, for a change. Our range is up around 1500 ft above sea level and, on an Island only 11 miles wide, it's always prone to wind. Not today. I took with me a small selection of ammo as we don't have the range of choice you guys have. So I had 200 40 grain MiniMags, 50 40 grain Fiocchi High Velocity and 50 Fiocchi 40 grain Standard Velocity.

I shot the lot..!! AND every one went bang, every one chambered and ejected smoothly. No hang-fires, no stove pipes. Nothing, Nada, Nix.. Flawless operation..!!

I was careful loading the mags and followed a few similar tips I'd seen on Youtube. Load slowly, just allowing the follower to support the weight of the round and once 10 rounds are in, swing the mag down between finger and thumb and you'll see the first round sitting nice and proud and perfectly placed to feed cleaning into the breach.

I have to say that one thing I'm certainly going to have to come to terms with is the trigger and trigger pull. It does feel a tad spongy but it does break well and reset is good too.

Er.. have I said yet that the pistol performed flawlessly?

First rounds out of the gun were all down one side of the target - well out of the black (I'm shooting at 25m) but a little adjustment on the sights and it was soon riddling the centre. I wasn't trying for 'groups', I'll leave that until another day, I just wanted to, as far as I was concerned, de-fuse some of the nay-sayers I've seen on Youtube and read in reviews. This little pistol is a whole lot of fun. I mean REAL fun.. I mean "Damn.. have we shot ALL that ammo already" kind of fun.

I did think that the weight, or lack of it, would present a problem after being used to either my 9mm 1911 or my Taurus M669. But that wasn't the case. With the minimal recoil from the .22LR rounds holding the sight picture was a breeze - although sometimes I did have to wait a little.. actually for the smoke to clear.. literally..!!

There's one word that keeps coming to my mind.. flawless..

With the windage sorted out I did lower the rear sight a click or two and I think I can go down a little more and be spot on. I found the sights nice to use, clear and uncluttered and I actually prefer the G44 sights to a three dot set up.

So now, at the end of an extremely satisfying spell at the range, I have finally lost my Glock virginity..!!! I have already decided to find out if the GB importer can get their hands on the threaded barrel. I don't need extra 'papers' for that as I already have three .22 suppressors for my rifles. So no further paperwork is required.

Final thoughts? Simple; the Glock 44 is a superb pistol which, if care is taken loading the right ammo, ie 40 grain HV or Standard, will provide the user with hours and hours and hours of face-splitting, grin generating FUN.

Here's a photo of my 'riddled' target.

I am now off to listen to some music.. "Rock Around The Glock" will do to start with. :) (y)

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Congratulations looks like a fun gun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Congrats on your new slide gun. I always have a big grin on my face when I shoot a new gun.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good show! Now you need a G21 ;)
Oooh.. two Glocks just could be too much of a good thing..!! My thoughts now are on trying to source a threaded barrel.. :) (y)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My final thoughts in my original post was regarding sourcing a threaded barrel for the G44. Well, so I have been informed today, that's just not going to happen. It appears that the local police here have never and will never sanction or allow a moderator for a handgun.
I was given chapter and verse from one of the local firearms officers who said that moderators wont be sanction because...

1. They are not an add-on which improves accuracy (after all, we only shoot targets)
2. If I was to suggest that, by adding a moderator, my pistol would balance better.. then it's my fault for choosing a badly weighted pistol
3. All club members on the range and firing points should be wearing hearing protection so there's no argument for having a moderator fitted to reduce shot noise.

Shame, but I guess I've saved a couple of hundred dollars - which I'll spend on ammo..!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
3. All club members on the range and firing points should be wearing hearing protection so there's no argument for having a moderator fitted to reduce shot noise.
Quieter ranges make happier neighbors.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quieter ranges make happier neighbors.
[/QUOTE
Depends where they are located. Ours is 1600 feet up in "them thar hills" and I'm sure the sheep like the company..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts