Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a medium framed auto in a month or two and I have been looking at the Glock 19 and Mil Pro PT111. I want a good all around gun that I can use for work as a armed guard, canceled carry, and a occasional IDPA match. I know that the Glock would fit the bill nicely but I wonder if the Mil Pro would work just as well for $200 less. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot of people like the mil pros I can't attest for them myself having never shot one or owned one, but I know glock makes a good pistol. I myself own a S&W M&P compact 9mm and its a great little gun.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Mil Pro is a very good gun. I have a PT145 and could not be happier with it. I will admit that Glock has a fantastic reputation, and you may be less likely to get a lemon with a Glock. However, for $200 less you can get a very nice firearm with the Mil Pro. I would think it would come down to what feels best in your hands.

I had to make a similar decision between the PT145 an the XD compact. I obviously went with the Taurus and have never regretted the decision.

Todd

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually if you were to check the demensions you would be more likely to compare the Glock 19 with the 24/7. The credentials for the 24/7 are touted on Taurus' website... the 1995 Gun of the Year, the fastest second shoot on record... 3,000 in a weekend without failure.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-videos.cfm

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with bonedigger, for me it doesn't matter that the "plastic fantastic" Glock is a solid, dependable, fine weapon. It feels like an oversized plastic brick in my hand and I will never own one. IT doesn't matter how much it costs, if it doesn't feel right it probably won't shoot right for you. The best possible option is if you have a range in your area that rents guns and go fire them both.

·
32,481 Posts
The 24/7 or the model 911 would be closer to what you need as an all around gun. Both are excellent pistols.

24/7 has the light trigger pull shot for shot and the 911 is a DA/SA design.

911s have the transition from a heavier first trigger pull . Follow up shots are all the lighter single action with the hammer all the way back and cocked. There is decocking lever to drop the hammer on a live round safely.

I do suggest that you go to the www.taurususa.com site and either download the PDF catalog or request one from the factory. It will take a month ot two to receive it.

This would give you another source as well as the website itself to look at.
It might shorten your list of questions as well that might be coming.

Little known is that Taurus did in fact win three prestigious awards in 2005.
Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year, National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers Manufacturer of the Year, and the SHOT Business Manufacturer of the year, are the awards presented.
So Taurus must be doing something right.

If budget is a concern, then get a Taurus design.

Glocks do have an excellent rep. If that is what you want to go with, then do so.

Try both makes and models and see what fits you. Pick what works for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
24/7 Pro:
-Length: 7-1/8"
-Width: 1-1/4"
-Height: 5-1/2"

Mil Pro:
-Length: 6-1/8"
-Width: 1.125"
-Height: 5.125"

Glock 19:
-Length: 6.85"
-Width: 1.18"
-Height: 5.00"

To me it looks like the Millennium Pro is closer in size to Glock 19 and the 24/7 to the Glock 17. To be honest I’m not a big guy and I don’t want to go through the trouble of concealing a large frame pistol. One of the things I like about the Mil Pro is the fact that it is smaller then the G19.

·
32,481 Posts
I'm taking all your criterea and putting and reasoning out the whole thing.

For two of the reasons the 24/7 and Glock with 4 in. barrels get the nod.

Smaller than full size semi-autos to conceal and carry and yet bigger than the compacts or sub compacts. More ammo and easier to use in a defense situation.

It is easier to use and hit a target repeatedly a target or targets with the above mentioned pistols over their smaller brethren.This has been prove and documented by tactical and shooting school instructors.

Longer sighting plain, more mass to absorb recoil, better grip purchase when drawing or shooting, and easier to get back on target, even if the target is moving are all reasons for the 4 in. barreled models to be used over the smaller pistols.

This would work well for guard and competition. One of the things IDPA shooters tell newcomers is to shoot the medium to large frame guns to stay competitive. Harder to do with the Millenium pro models though it can and is done frequently.

Should you find your self in an actual shoot situation in real life, hitting with the medium frame gun would be accomplished far easier under most circumstances with the 24/7 or the Glock 19.

The longer and larger medium sized pistol also gives a boost to the velocity of the bullet. Only slightly over the 3.25 in barreled Millenium pro, but every bit of edge to get the bullet to expand may be needed.

So what is more important to you? CCW or carry as a guard? If carry for guard is more important, then the 4 in barreled pistol gets the nod. If not, then the shorter barreled pistol gets the green light.
Here's a split the difference compromise. The 24/7 comes in both 4 and 3.33 in barrel lengths.

Which ever length and size meets your needs better, buy that model and use it. Use what money is saved in buying the 24/7 of your choice over the Glock and buy the other barrel length later. Since both 24/7 pistol sizes have similar controls and grips, transition from one model to the other is simple. Compare that to having to learn the controls of a different type, make or model of pistol.

In a adrenaline split seconds count fight figuring out what the controls are or fumbling the safety wipe off could prove deadly to the user.

So if the Glock19, 24/7, or 9mm. Millinium pro floats your boat, go with it.
The gun has to fit you and your needs as well.
Try them all if you can and go with what fills your needs the most.
Personally, I like the compromise two gun solution. One model size now and the other later. Then all the criterea are met one way or the other.

If not a 3 in. barreled revolver would be the best all around bet.
I do have a 9mm. PT111 Mil/pro and have had excellent service from it.
For competition and as a house gun, the medium framed pistols get the nod.

Just a personal choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are right the 24/7 is probably a better buy for me then the Mil Pro or the G19. It is still at least $150 cheaper then the Glock, and probably just as good of a service gun. Now I just need to find a range that rents them out so I can see if I like it as much as the Glock.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Get the 24/7 and if your lucky you can get the new 24/7 OSS...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cimarron said:
Actually if you were to check the demensions you would be more likely to compare the Glock 19 with the 24/7. The credentials for the 24/7 are touted on Taurus' website... the 1995 Gun of the Year, the fastest second shoot on record... 3,000 in a weekend without failure.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-videos.cfm
First didn't it also shoot 4 shots in under 1.5 seconds. Maybe thats what u said, I'm still graugy. Second the 24/7 was NRA gun of the year in 05 or 06 wasn't it. Third you can also get the 24/7 with a short handle/grip unless I'm mistaken, so you get a longer barrel and still conceallable. But yeah the 24/7 would be my choice out of those. IMO the glocks are horrible to hold onto. I'd rather hold a screaming baby than a glock again. Yes I've done both.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It was 8 shots at 4 steel targets and now holds the world record as the fastest semi-auto handgun. I heard/read that Taurus wasn't going to make the 24/7 with the extra short barrel (3.?), because it was coming out with the PT809B which is based on the 24/7 OSS features in a smaller size.

And the 24/7 OSS is the same gun as the original 24/7 on the exterior, just with about an inch longer barrel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned at least 2 Glock 19's, and now own a PT145 Pro, and I would definitely picked a Mil Pro over the 19.
I've never been able to shoot Glocks very well, and I don't particularly care for the triggers.

The only gun I've ever been able to shoot as well at my PT145 is the Sig Pro that I used to own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why not a Glock 26. Its very concealable.

After owning two PT145MP's and having just purchased a Glock 26 (and having previously owned a G27 - same frame and a G21) - I can say this:

I like the Glock better in terms of 'quality feel'. This is subjective, but IMHO the magazines are better made, and all of the components seem to be of higher quality. Here are some things I like BETTER about the Glock:

- Higher quality feel - subjective...

- VAST array of aftermarket component availability - all internal Glock parts + custom parts, i.e. sights, trigger components, recoils systems, internal lasers, barrels, you name it.

- no sight rail on a subcompact - I prefer this, and don't see the point of a light rail on a 3" gun.

- shorter grip for better concealability - with the option of finger exensions on the mag for a full grip

- full size frame brethren magazines will work. So i can reload with a 15 rd G19 mag for example

- more holster choices

- simpler takedown method. Lack of takedown lever streamlines frame.

- no funky proprietary dovetails - can get hundreds of different sights

- very low bore axis - less muzzle flip - probably the lowest of any semiauto around

- proven reliability and track record

- only 34 parts (according to the manual - i know some are 'assemblies')

- part availability - no need to send one back as they are SUPER easy to fix - somewhat cancels out having a lifetime warranty. I know, I just waited over two months for Taurus to get around to fixing my PT145 (mag release adjust - big whoop) :mad:

- there's more I'm sure.... but you get the idea.

Still, I must say that I do like my PT145. I have not found another semiauto 45 that packs that many rounds into such a small package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a chance to shoot the Mil Pro the other day at the range. I didn’t like it. I probably wouldn’t want to put more then 100 round through it in at a range session, but the 24/7 is starting to look good to me. I think that if I am in a spot needing to buy a firearm sooner rather then latter I’ll go with the 24/7, but if I have a chance to save some cash I’ll go with the Glock 19.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts