Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my grandfathers old Model 60 tubefed .22lr when he passed away a few years ago. I've only shot about 100 rounds through it before today and it needed a good cleaning, to say the least.
The problem I'm having is trying to chamber the first round. 90% of the time I would pull the slide back and release it and the round would kick sideways, nose-in, and not chamber. I would have to pull it out and seat the round in the barrel manually before I could fire. Most of the time it would cycle correctly with the occasional stovepipe. I figured this was do to the massive amount of grit in the rifle from lack of care and sitting uncleaned for years.

I tore it down and cleaned the mess out of it tonight and loaded a few rounds down the tube to see if that fixed it. First two rounds chambered fine, third kicked sideways and the fourth and fifth were good.

I don't know much about these rifles so I'm wondering if this is a normal issue that most deal with or if this is something I need to take to a gunsmith

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The Glenfield was actually made by Marlin and is the Marlin Model 60, got to be a problem with the elevator. I would try cleaning it again and see if you could help it that way with special attention to the elevator and loading ramp. Might be a bent or sticking extractor. parts should be easily available. It is not a normal problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jake. Tearing it back down in a few and seeing what I can find. I didn't pay any special attention to any one component last night, just gave her a good overall cleaning. We'll see how it goes this time around

1 - 3 of 3 Posts