Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear prescription glasses, made with a plastic lens. I have looked for shooting glasses that would go over them, but most I think would be more of an hassle over my glasses. Dual ear pieces, and two bridges on my nose. geeze. I have been shooting with the plastic lens for a few months on my home range, and no other protection.

I wonder if they are sufficient or should I consider the expense of Polycarbonate lens, and frames for shooting, that are made to my prescription. Or just deal with the hassle of two pairs of glasses to shoot at indoor ranges.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Good post..Robbie...
i wear glasses also and contacts..
if i had to wear glasses all the time and did alot of shooting, i would have a pair made...if you are near-sighted you need them anyways...
i just use 10.00 sunglasses when i have my contacts in..you can buy saftey glasses that are used in construction, but they can look funny sometimes...
I am curious about that too... i wonder what is the best protection when you have to wear prescriptions ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
For some really cool and comfortable prescription glasses, They do the wrap-around prescription glasses, or just regular ones.

**midway down the page, click on "search by sport". In my opinion, the best glasses are under 'motorcycle', but there is also 'shooting' on there.**

I have a pair from there, they are fantastic. Mine are lightweight, very comfortable, and I think they look cool. You can call them if you have questions, I called and spoke to someone to help me decide. I got the transition lenses, so they are good indoors & outside. I highly recommend them. If I were to do it again, for the price of the transitions I could have bought a pair of dedicated clear & dark glasses.......I would get the dedicated ones. Transitions don't get nearly as dark as regular sunglasses.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The eye care co. that did my regular glasses said they would do shooting glasses, but the cost for single vision was $80 for the lens in polycarbonate, and $80 for the frame.

The one site had these, RX CR-39 $89.95 and these PolyCarbonate $114.95. with frames and all. Now I have to find out what the heck CR-39 material is and is it acceptable at the ranges..

As most of my shooting will be on the farm, "yeah I know I should wear them there too" rather than at a range, and we all know I am not gonna look for my shooting glasses in a home defense situation, or a BG situation when I am out, before I take action. So I do not want to spend an excessive amount for the few times I will be on a range.

So if it turns out that this CR39 stuff is acceptable at most ranges, it would seem the way to go.

Steelheart, if you find out anything when you get your eyes checked let me know.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I wear glasses normally so I've got something there. I also have glasses with the side shields for work. The prices for lenses you mentioned are about what I found a couple of years back when I looked into it.

Since I'm going to try to get to some actual firearms training courses this coming year I think having real ballistic safety glasses might be comforting.

Steelheart

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Eye Armor safety glasses, which fit over my prescription lenses. They come in several different sizes so they will fit over different styles of glasses. They also come in clear, smoke, and amber, so you can wear different ones for indoor ranges, for outside, etc. They have side shields.

They may look a little nerdly, but I'm not concerned with how I look on the range; people are there to shoot, not to see whether I'm styling or not.

You can get them online from http://heavyglare.com/.

I also have some Silencio Visitor glasses, which also fit over prescription lenses, so I can take care of any friends with glasses who come shooting with me. I got them from Sportsman's Guide, but I've also seen them in Sportsman's Warehouse, IIRC.

I don't know if this helps, but it is what I do.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
SergeantC ......
Fantastic site...i bookmarked it...there is alot to chose from
Love those"Eyesights Sunglasses".. you can even get them in prescription ;)
thanks for the site...i have too get new glasses soon also, and i am going to check that out

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank Ya'll very much for the information! I knew that there had to be shooters out there with bad eyes. Who had found a source for decent glasses, either to go over, or be made into prescription lens. I now have to figure out whether to get the Eye Armor ones, or some other style. Boy that site had a million of em!!

Maybe this thread will help others who have been using generic types that really do not do the job. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wear glasses myself. Use to wear the glass lenses in photo gray.The place I purchase from now longer carries the glass lenses and I believe all plastic lenses nowadays are made from polycarbonate. I'm not sure if they are tested or can pass the tests for safety glasses but they are very close.
I've never had a shell hit me in the face or my glasses but I know they can take a hard shell beetle at 60 mph on my bike. Also been hit by small rocks with no problem.
I own several pair of REAL safety glasses for when I work in my wood shop. Much like woodworking, when shooting a gun I can't focus on the front sight with my prescription glasses. But my range time is spent on practice for real life conditions. I'll be wearing my glasses, unable to focus on the front sight and do more or less point shooting. I focus on the target and learn to get a gross sight picture. If I wore safety glasses only I could focus on the front sight and could have tighter groups but that would only help if I were robbed while woodworking.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Mine are a plastic according to the lady that works there. But they do make a Polycarbonate lens. I have been hit by flying shells, from the ejection, face and hat but not sure if any of them contacted the lens of my glasses because it happened too quickly.

But you made me wonder if that is why my groups are not quite what I would like them to be, in addition to the fact that I am sure I push the barrel to the left when I squeeze the trigger.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Robby said:
Yeah, Mine are a plastic according to the lady that works there. But they do make a Polycarbonate lens.
So the place that made your glasses make polycarbonate lenses.

And the lady told you that yours were definitely NOT polycarbonate? Almost all plastic eyeglass lenses around here ARE polycarbonate, so they'll resist scratching. Are your glasses taking scratches pretty badly?

JimL

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the scratches, Not that I noticed. I am beginning to think this lady, wanted to sell me more new glasses instead of the side protection I could slide on these.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish lasik was an option for me! I have had restoration surgery after having cancer on my eyelid.

So I am stuck with glasses, even though all three of my son's have had lasik with great results. Two even served in Iraq, after the surgery. No glasses except for the eye protection the troops use for sand and flying helicopters.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Had someone at work ask me why I haven't had lasik. Told him that since I work as a mechanic and ride a motorcycle I would end up wearing safety glasses anyway it just seemed a waste of money. Glasses have saved my eyes from further damage several times and buying safety glasses with transition lenses cost about the same as prescription glasses. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I've GOT to get on my soapbox on this subject, and if only ONE person pays heed, it's worth it.
Regular SAFETY(AO) perscription glasses saved my life. The event did not include firearms, but that doesn't matter. I was splitting firewood with a railroad spike (dump pecker). The spike rebounded, totaly through the safety lens, through the eyelid, through the eye, and lodged in the sinus cavity. The doctors said if it had not been for the safety lens, I would have died on the spot. As a result, I lived, but without an eye. Now, I have about 20 eyes, one for every year since the accident. I cannot overstress the necessity of safety glasses!! Wear them for EVERY SINGLE THING YOU DO- NO EXCEPTIONS. Words cannot describe what it's like with only one. Please , please use them - please.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree on the lasik. I hope your using Protective lenses to make sure you can see with the improved vision for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure some people here are military (some retired and all active duty). I don't care about what I look like at the range, that being said. The old military glasses, yes I'm talking about the BCG can take a severe beating. Mine fell out of my pocket then got run over by a duece. They were in a soft case at the time to try and protect the lenses. I took them out and what do you know they were still intact! I got new ones after this event, but when I took my old ones with me the tech was able to straighten my old ones to the point of where I could put them on again. I say military since they could go on to a base and get a pair easily and without great expense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.