Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer this is not a bashing post simply for information and possible ideas on how to fix.

As many of you may know I have had Issues with my 845 since I got it. At first it was failing to chamber and dropping the mag when fired. I sent it back to Taurus for repair and had it back in short order. when I received it the gun functioned fine for a few boxes of ammo then started the failure to chamber issue again, figured this might have something to do with the short recoil spring that came in the gun and had Taurus send me a new one still has not fixed the issue. Since then I have tried several different types of ammo from Winchester white box bulk to Hornady TAP FPD +P and everything in between and occasionally would make it through a full mag without a failure to chamber.

I recently was looking close at the way it feeds the round and have noticed the rim of the case wil sometimes get under the extractor as normal but over the top of the loaded chamber indicator causing the bullet to skew left a hair when cambering Thinking the loaded chamber indicator may be the issue, however I have noticed that the tap portion of tap rack bang to clear malfunctions seems to allow the round to seat after a failure to chamber leading me to believe it could be developing the mag drop issue I had when I first got it.

So I will be sending it back to Taurus one last time to give them a shot to fix it. I am very confident they will make things right as I know they can make a quality gun my PT111 is a prime example of it.

Again this is NOT a bashing thread This 845 is the most comfortable and accurate handgun I ever shot and I love it to death I just wish I could get it to feed reliably.

And just for kicks here is a picture of a target from todays session, 2 mags minus 6 that got cleared during "tap rack bang" as fast as I could get a clean sight picture at 10 yards (not super fast but not slow bullseye type shooting either) for 18 hits out of 18 shots actually fired.

No way I could do this with any other hand gun I have shot.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Kudos for hangin' in. Wish I could shoot that well. I'm working with my 945 lately.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sorry about your troubles, maybe this time will be your lucky one. I hope they fix it or try to get them to completely replace it of they cannot fix it this time.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping so. I just got the time to call them this morning they are having Fed Ex come get it tomorrow afternoon.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Patience is a virtue, my friend; and I hope yours will be rewarded by the return of a flawless PT845!

Reactions: bre346

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Magazine maybe but I think I have tried enough ammo and experienced the exact same failures will them all to eliminate the ammo being the issue.

Anyway Here she is all packed up and ready for Fed Ex to take her away tomorrow wil keep you guys posted with updates when I get her back.

Along with the repair sticker from her first trip "back home". (I believe that was before the CS revamp)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hope your 845 works out. Keep us posted. I have a 845. I had trouble with my 845 when I got it over a year ago. One of the problems was traced to the extractor claw that got chipped. They replaced it and it works fine now.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I sure hope they get it right for you. My 845 has run perfectly from day one and it really is a sweet shooter when it works like it's supposed to. I'm wondering if there isn't something amiss with the grip frame and how the mag fits or sits inside of it? I sure hope they get you fixed up this time!

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sure hope they get it right for you. My 845 has run perfectly from day one and it really is a sweet shooter when it works like it's supposed to. I'm wondering if there isn't something amiss with the grip frame and how the mag fits or sits inside of it? I sure hope they get you fixed up this time!
I am thinking the same thing as only one of my mags will drop free if there is ammo still tin the mag. The other two will just sit there as if the mag release button has not been engaged. Might be a result of trying to pack .45 into such a small frame or just a bad frame. could be the loaded chamber indicator as well.

Any way just checked the fed ex tracking # and it was delivered to Taurus today, here is hoping they get it fixed right this time I don't care how long it takes.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just checked the Taurus website and it states the repair process has been completed so I should have it back in the next couple of days. Wish me luck

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well on my way out the door today to head to work (security) I bumped into the Fed Ex man and he had a gift for me. One repaired PT845. I cant wait to get out this weekend and see if they got her fixed.

Will post more info when I get home and have a chance to look her over. I gotta say compared to the last time I sent it in, the turn around was mighty fast. Hopefully it is a sign that they have indeed imporved their CS

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok had a chance to look it over.

According to the sheet they sent back
The loaded chamber indicator was damaged and has been replaced (figured it was)
and
"Magazine falls magazine too tight" "Adjusted"

This is in response to Failure to chamber, 1of 3 magazines falling out under normal firing operations. And magazines not dropping free when mag release is pressed while ammo is in the magazine.

The part in quotes is exactly as written on the repair receipt.

Now for the other interesting part there is a small smiley face on the repair sticker they put on the side of the box. was gonna take a pic but batteries are dead when they are charged I will post a pic of it.
I am hoping it means they double checked to make sure it is working properly

·
Administrator
17,586 Posts
I look forward to reading your follow-up Range Report.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big day is tomorrow I will be heading out to Matsell bridge shooting range here in Iowa and will be purchasing at least 100 rounds of .45 to put this newly repaired gun through its paces.

So far I have noticed through handling that the mags now drop free when the mag release is pressed while loaded up to 11 rounds the 12th round for some reason stops the mags from dropping free. Upon looking closer at the mag well I see file marks on the frame where the front shoulders of the magazine would be and it seems they have also taken a file to the mag catch itself as a portion of it (just below the protrusion that catches the mag) has file marks and is now unfinished. None of this will bother me as long as it functions.

I will have to wait till I shoot it to see if the other problems were fixed. I have a good feeling.

And as promised here is the pic of the odd smiley face drawn on the repair sticker.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so I just got back from the range and put 100 rounds of American eagle 230 grain FMJ down range with absolutely no feed issues.
However one of my mags did drop free while firing 2 times during one full mag, did not have any issues with that mag for the rest of the day and the other two mags had no issues.

Even with the mag issue I had it has already proven to be 95% better that what it was. Couple more range sessions without issue and it will be the gun I expected it to be, and take its rightful place on the nightstand/CCW role. Till then the EAA .357 will continue to serve that role.

I will keep you guys updated as I get more range time.

Kudos goes out to the repair department for the revamp and taking care of business.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts