Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a sucker for a 1911. The LGS has one at an attractive price. It’s a Girsan 1911 Officers size. Made in Turkey. It fits the hand well, operates like a 1911. It does not have a bushing or toggle link, Seens to be well made. The Gun writers give it good reviews, but then again, they are gun writers. And I am a sceptic. Anybody here have any first hand experience with them?

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
I'm not adding anything constructive either, except to say: that really is a sweet looking 1911!

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
And yet another non-answer. LOL

While no first hand experience with the Turks, I'm confident they'd be just as good as any other, at the price point, out of the box. Lots of folks turned-up their noses at the Philippine makers too, but you can't hardly screw-up a 100+ year old design. It's a good looking shooter, that was reasonably priced, and could be easily tweaked as needed. Enjoy!

·
Registered
28,101 Posts
The Girsen catalog looks durn good, and EAA's customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
24,944 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Girsan. Just sayin.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I will put it on layaway if it is still there Monday.

·
Super Moderator
38,025 Posts
I'd be sorely pressed to pass that one by.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
I'd buy it just to have it sit there while I stare at it. 🤣
Love the two-tone and the wood - a nice looking side arm for sure.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Not with that particular weapon, I do have a Springfield Armory Micro Compact 1911, its the same officer size and has a alloy frame, looks quite a bit like the Girsan.
I think it weighs like 26 ounces with an empty mag so its not for those that are recoil shy.
I find i like shooting 175-185 grain ammo out of mine and the weapon seems to like it as well.
most manufactures have pretty well got the operation of these smaller 1911 down now days and are more relibale than in yester years.
I can't think of any Officers model now that has a barrel bushing??
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Tool Cylinder Drill Art

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought a girsan 1911 a number of years ago
i wanted a 1911 but didnt want to pay big money for a heavy,100yr old, single stack, slow moving bullet, yadda yadda etc etc
mine has similar features to your pic but it is a different color blued/blackish, full size, with a rail and stainless barrel. it was about $350 or so back then. the trigger is very good. it stove-piped a few target loads at first then ran fine ever since it got a mag of good hollow points.
the finish was easy to scratch on some. mine has been fine but it sits in the safe a lot. the grips were a reported issue... something weird about the screws. i left mine stock, so i dont know. the sights were supposedly marketed as novaks but there were reports of people saying they were not 'true' novaks... i dont know, i never touched mine. i dont know if parts interchange either, i assume some might.

if you want a shooter with good features and 'bang for the buck' it was and probably still is one of the best 1911s for little money.
i remember phillipine rock islands and such were about $500 for basically gi-models that lacked features, remingtons were $6-700 and were much nicer than girsans but double the price. dbl stack paras were probably the best buy back then. tisas made turkish 1911s for even less than girsan but they were barebones gi models.

ive never looked at a taurus 1911 but i would if i were you. i would also consider a modern dbl stack in 45...

turkish guns are ok if you pay little and accept it as it is when you buy it. there is no customizing/upgrading it due to weird specs and no aftermarket.

lastly, turkey generally hates america and christianity and that should factor into your decision. i own multiple turkish weapons but they were all acquired -well- below market value soo i guess that eases my mind somewhat...

·
Registered
295 Posts
A quick YT search turned up a few videos. While not one for that particular gun, reviews seem to be mixed. One reviewer had a five inch model double tap on the last two rounds in a mag. o_O
They all seem to like the guns but say they may need a break-in period and some mild tuning.
Where have we heard that before?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a sucker for a 1911. The LGS has one at an attractive price. It’s a Girsan 1911 Officers size. Made in Turkey. It fits the hand well, operates like a 1911. It does not have a bushing or toggle link, Seens to be well made. The Gun writers give it good reviews, but then again, they are gun writers. And I am a sceptic. Anybody here have any first hand experience with them?
View attachment 480522
I’ve had that model now for about 6 months. I’m a 1911 fan and have colts custom jobs and now a Girsan. I’ve shot it and been really impressed with it. Very manageable. Adjustable sights help. Mine came with G10 grips with a see through window to go along with the special see through clip. I changed all that because checkered wood feels better. Bought an owb pancake holster. Fits great. Only problem now is my favorite grips rub against my skin (under a shirt) like a cheese grater. Gonna go back to the G10 grips until I find officers model wood grips a little less abrasive
You will like your Girsan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice looker.

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
If the Girsan is anything like my Sarsilmaz, another firearm made in Turkey by I think the same company, then it should be well made.

I have always been told that they build good firearms in Turkey and my SAR B6c has bore that out.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have a Tisas 1911 commander size. While a well made gun that shoots very well, the fit and finish could be better. I don't care for the ambi safety, it looks rough and it's not as positive as I'd like it to be.

I swapped the grips out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 480522
View attachment 480522
I do not have that Particular model, but do have a Girsan MC1911 A1 in .45ACP. The gun is very ergonomic, and has had no problems from a standpoint of feeding/ejecting, save running some soft handloads that were not powerful enough to cycle the slide. I found that the one I have shot very low with the factory sights. Consistently about 8" low at 10yds. Somewhere around 3' low at 90 yds. Multiple people who are better shooters than myself had the same result. I was unable to get any sights that are a direct fit to the gun. Contacted EAA who imports them and was told they have a proprietary cut, and would not tell me the dimensions of it, and have no parts support here whatsoever. I ordered some sights and fitted them to the gun and was still shooting 3-4" low after maxing out the adjustment. I ended up using a file on the slide itself to turn it into a Novak lowmount style and put that style of adjustable rear on, and was able to get it on target. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy it again, just because there is 0 OEM parts support. Grip screws/holes are also proprietary. Most .45 1911 mags seem to work in it and I am guessing that the majority of internals are compatible with other brands, but do not know that for sure.

·
23,210 Posts
And yet another non-answer. LOL

While no first hand experience with the Turks, I'm confident they'd be just as good as any other, at the price point, out of the box. Lots of folks turned-up their noses at the Philippine makers too, but you can't hardly screw-up a 100+ year old design.
Yet another non-answer from me too...

The five inch 1911 is a 110 year old design. The 3" (or 3.5") 1911 is much, much younger. It really started as a small, boutique manufacturer's product in the mid-1970s. Detonics did it, and lots of manufacturers have tried since then, with varied levels of success. Yes, there are also the general officers' pistols, but I'm talking public sale, not DOD-only. So the 3"/3.5" 1911 is half the age of the 5", and the results in terms of reliability across a broad swath of manufacturers are far, far less consistent for the sub-4" barrel models.

I've got a very high opinion of most Philippine 1911s. I've got a lot of respect for my RIA 1911A2. It's the first gun I ever paid a smith to customize in any way. But I tried two Philippine Officers' size 1911s, and they were far and away the least reliable firearms I've ever owned. I mean laughably bad. Now, I've also read good reports from non-gunwriter owners, so the lesson I take from that is you may get a good one, or you might get a bad joke. I'm very happy with my Colt Defender. It's on my hip as I type right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts