Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here from time to time you will see squirrels that are 3 or 4 times larger than the average Mississippi squirrel. I had never seen one up close until yesterday morning when one decided to eat breakfast in a small tree next to the deck. I was sitting on the couch and it was maybe 15' away. I got to watch it for several minutes. Last year I was able to ask one of the State wildlife biologist about them. He explained that the are the same species as the smaller squirrels and only larger because of their genetic make up. My bloodhound Hoot spends hours everyday chasing squirrels from tree to tree with no luck catching them. He just can't get tree climbing down but he keeps trying. Yesterday while I was watching the giant squirrel eat Hoot was asleep less than 10' from the beautiful animal and never knew a thing. So much for the keen smelling powers of a bloodhound, at least when they are asleep anyway.

·
Registered
24,545 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a wood chuck?

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Ahhh yes, the elusive Saber Toothed Sasquatch Squirrel, you are fortunate he did not attack!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
At 15 feet with my .22 CO2 pellet gun we would have squirrel in the crock pot....

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You are probably talking about a fox squirrel and you do have woodchucks that far south. Camp Swampy...er.. I mean Camp Shelby has more than a few.

Reactions: .452dia

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Fox squirrels are protected here in Florida. But, back in the day when I was a kid, I shot many of them and they are good when cooked with dumplings!:thumb::thumb: I sure miss those times, but we must move on forward to the end of the path.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Only squirrel I know about that needs protecting is the Flying Squirrel. Haven't seen one of those in a long, long time. Fox squirrels are almost as numerous as Gray squirrels and they are both just bushy tailed rats.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Squirrels are not beautiful animals. They are bushy tailed rats.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hoot was probably thinking, Did you see the size of that thing? I'm going to sit this one out. :D

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Flying squirrels are nocturnal and in an abundance here. When they get in an attic they are a pain to get rid of. I get out with a light and 22/410 in the winter after leaves are gone and release them to their next life form. Seldom see them in daylight. Flying squirrels and chipmunks are like fire ants, you can thin the population but they never go away. Have not had fox squirrels here in years. Gray's in an abundance though, they love the pecan trees.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts