Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to the GI guide rod and plug in the PT1911? I have never liked the full length guide rod myself. Also will this work with the 9mm Pt1911 as well? I have one coming from Buds and I could order for both guns at the same time. Thank you.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Any idea on the 9mm version? hoping to get parts for both at the same time.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
In put a generic guide rod and plug I found at a gun show and works perfectly. Also these parts are the same for a 45 or a 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
What are the pros/cons to a FLGR to a GI style again?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GI plug and guide rod allow press checks and one handed cocking but those are the only two that I can think of at the moment. I think that there are a couple of more but they escape me at the moment. Oh and thanks for the conformation on the 9mm now I can get the parts ordered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Supposedly the full length prevents spring binding (not really) and weighs down the front of the gun a little (it kinda does, but to really notice you'd probably need tungsten). Field stripping a GI rod is a little easier, but I mostly changed mine to a GI because I like the look of the checkered plug better *shrug*

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
well personally i like the full length rod, reason It looks cooler to me!
the 1911 went what 80 years with a GI rod and plug, so use what you like, bottom line its not going to make you or the gun any better or worse regardless of which you prefer.
as far as harder to take down?? not for me!
I mean 10 seconds is 10 seconds and it really shouldn't take much longer than that!
and press checks are a real good way to learn to count to 9 on your fingers!-LOL
if you don't know if your gun has a live round in the chamber, do really need be where you are?

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
well personally i like the full length rod, reason It looks cooler to me!
the 1911 went what 80 years with a GI rod and plug, so use what you like, bottom line its not going to make you or the gun any better or worse regardless of which you prefer.
as far as harder to take down?? not for me!
I mean 10 seconds is 10 seconds and it really shouldn't take much longer than that!
and press checks are a real good way to learn to count to 9 on your fingers!-LOL
if you don't know if your gun has a live round in the chamber, do really need be where you are?
I'm with olfarhors on this one.

For me it's totally ascetics. I've used both and never really noticed any big difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts