Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty good day at the range with the PT-145. Still had one fail to feed in 100 rounds with my "problem" mag (my other mag works perfect) but the problem mag is getting better - shot about 60 rounds after the ftf with no issues (or could the problem be me and limp wristing? :confused:)

Anyway, the Herter's aluminum case ammo fed fine, but the blue teflon/nylon/whatever coating on the bullets seemed to leave a film on the bore that I can't get rid of with Hoppe's or the other stuff (forget the name). Used a nylon bristle brush, too, but didn't help much. Didn't want to use the brass brush until I checked with you all to see if there's another way to get that stuff off.

Not really worried about it, as I can probably shoot a few copper jacketed rounds to get it out. Don't know when I'll get to the range next, though.

I like the Herter's in that it was reliable and powerful, but I don't think I'll buy any more as it makes my Taurus shoot noticeably low.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Easiest way I could recommend is using a brass brush through the barrel. You shouldn't need to scrub it like a grill rack, but a pass or two following a good soak in Hoppe's should do the trick. It's amazing how hard that stuff can bake onto the barrel, if only it gave barrels a real non-stick coating things would be easier. Shooting copper jacketed rounds might help a little, but It may not remove everything from between the rifling.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Are you leery of using a brass brush? Don't be. I use them all the time, every cleaning. I even use stainless brushes.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Montkun (and glenwolde). I did use the same type of Herter's ammo in my Keltec P11 9mm when I was shooting, and a half a box of standard copper jacketed bullets afterwards seemed to remove that film pretty well, but I didn't shoot as much of the Herter's through the P11. It might be a while before I'm back at the range. I'll try the brass brush on the Taurus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts