Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got pulled over last night for speeding, I had no idea how fast I was going, 52 in a 30. Anyways, when he approached I had my hands at 10 and 2 and after the initial greeting I I formed him I wad carrying, his reply shocked me. He replied, "thank you, I wish everybody exercised their right to carry". He continued with, "when the crime crimes are being committed we aren't there, it's comforting to know you can protect your family until we show up". He then ran my info, wished me a good night and told me to slow down. I love living in a small county.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
That's too funny. The identical thing happened to me. I live in a small county and was pulled over for speeding. We don't have to disclose in Va but he saw my permit while I was getting my license. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes I got a nine on my hip. He just said "Cool" and let me off with a warning.

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Wow, not sure how to react in this post.....see I have given the two post above this a "Like". But I hate to "Like" you receiving a ticket.

Let me know if you would rather have a "Like" or the sympathy.
This is just a guess, but I suspect that he would "like" for you to pay the fine. :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Glad to hear you had a happy ending. I think LEO's (Law Enfocement Officers) seem to fall into two categories:
Type 1. They know that CCW holders are very law abiding, have been through an extensive background check, and will probably help them if the need assistance.
Type 2. They disapprove of CCW permits, and think LEO's are the only ones who should be allowed to be armed.

I got stopped by a Type 2 last year. He repeatedly tried to provoke me into a confrontation. I remained silent, answering only the questions necessary for the stop, and wouldn't take the bait on the rest.
After he gave me my ticket and left, my wife said she had never seen anyone so rude.
I explained to her my theory of Type 1 and Type 2 LEO's, and said "this guy was obviously a "Type 2".

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Glad to hear you had a happy ending. I think LEO's (Law Enfocement Officers) seem to fall into two categories:
Type 1. They know that CCW holders are very law abiding, have been through an extensive background check, and will probably help them if the need assistance.
Type 2. They disapprove of CCW permits, and think LEO's are the only ones who should be allowed to be armed.

I got stopped by a Type 2 last year. He repeatedly tried to provoke me into a confrontation. I remained silent, answering only the questions necessary for the stop, and wouldn't take the bait on the rest.
After he gave me my ticket and left, my wife said she had never seen anyone so rude.
I explained to her my theory of Type 1 and Type 2 LEO's, and said "this guy was obviously a "Type 2".
I was cut off and then pulled over by what I would guess was a Type 2 LEO. Not only did he illegally change lanes into mine forcing me off the road he then brake checked me almost immediately, when I stopped he proceeded to turn on his lights and motion me to pull over behind him. He got out of his car yelling like a dang fool and gesturing to other drivers to slow down as he walked up to my car where he began to accuse me of endangering his life, following to closely, and careless driving. He is the only officer that I have not presented my CWL to during a traffic stop. I really suspect he may have shot me. I would not give in to his badgering or false allegations. At some point he saw my dash cam, returned my documents to me and told me to drive careful.

A copy of that video did find its way to the Sheriffs department a few weeks later. Never saw that deputy again and I presume he has moved on to other places.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Great theory, probably 99% truth to that.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Back when NC first started letting citizens carry concealed handguns I was stopped in Greensboro at a licence/DWI checkpoint. I handed the officer my license, registration and CCH Permit while keeping my hands at 10 & 2 on the wheel with the interior light on. I told the officer "a young female" I had a permit and was carrying a handgun. She looked at the license and registration and then the CCH Permit then asked me what is this. I told her again I had a permit to carry and I was indeed carrying a handgun. She froze and backed away from the car and screamed to the other officers "he has a gun". Thankfully one of the other officers was a State Police Sgt. who jumped between us. The young female had no idea that anyone could legally carry a gun if they weren't a cop. I believe she would have drew on me if he hadn't been there. I believe depts' started explaining the new laws to their officers as I've been through a dozen of these checks over the years since and there was no problem. I wholeheartedly agree with the type 1 and type 2 officers though. There are still some officers out there that believe we should all be sheep.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
My CHL didn't help me. <harrumph> Ticket was $184 (56 in a 40) but I've signed up for Traffic School so the fine is now only $100.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I was cut off and then pulled over by what I would guess was a Type 2 LEO. Not only did he illegally change lanes into mine forcing me off the road he then brake checked me almost immediately, when I stopped he proceeded to turn on his lights and motion me to pull over behind him. He got out of his car yelling like a dang fool and gesturing to other drivers to slow down as he walked up to my car where he began to accuse me of endangering his life, following to closely, and careless driving. He is the only officer that I have not presented my CWL to during a traffic stop. I really suspect he may have shot me. I would not give in to his badgering or false allegations. At some point he saw my dash cam, returned my documents to me and told me to drive careful.

A copy of that video did find its way to the Sheriffs department a few weeks later. Never saw that deputy again and I presume he has moved on to other places.
You should post that video on YouTube.
I now have a dashcam in my car too, for both accidents,and police encounters. Wish I had one with my first Type 2 encounter.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
My CHL didn't help me. <harrumph> Ticket was $184 (56 in a 40) but I've signed up for Traffic School so the fine is now only $100.
Many years ago in Florida if you elected traffic school they gave you a discount on the ticket and zero points against your license. Also insurance companies were not supposed to raise your rates. Now a days I hear no reduction in the fine, just zero points and the rumored no insurance rate increase. Think Florida has a limit of once every 12 months for traffic school and a maximum 5 times election for life.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
You should post that video on YouTube.
I now have a dashcam in my car too, for both accidents,and police encounters. Wish I had one with my first Type 2 encounter.
I almost did, thought twice of it because we are a small community and I don't need to draw any unwanted attention to myself. Over the years many things have changed and I would definitely post any new interactions that were out of line. My first intention of getting the dash cam was to post shaming videos of all the people I see littering in the Keys. Funny thing, since I got the camera I rarely see anyone littering any more. It used to be nearly a daily experience, and now is very rare.

Reactions: darbo and 777Driver

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have a safety number in my phone. Never have used it.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a safety number in my phone. Never have used it.
I have one also but I don't think I would have used it in this case. I was clearly wrong, wasn't even one of those moments where there might have been a cause for thought. It as clearly on me and I would have a hard time asking under that circumstance.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The number for the sheriff, the mayor, the police chief, or similar. Someone you can call that will make your ticket disappear without questions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts