Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Because of another post on here about a leaded TX barrel I checked the muzzle end of mine. I shoot every week (at least) and clean every week with the best products I can track down. I run a nylon brush down the barrel EVERY week plus the necessary patches. When I checked the muzzle end of the barrel I couldn't see anything but, with a very small screw driver running parallel to the barrel I could certainly feel lead build up. I spent over an hour using a myriad of cleaners each one getting a little more than the last one. I knocked it down a LOT but, it is still not smooth. Soaking in kroil is the next step. Frankly I was shocked at how much grime I could still get on a patch after using some potent cleaners and even switched to a brass brush. The question maybe how often do they need cleaned vs. how accurate do you want to be?

· Registered
38,514 Posts
Remember, always buy the .22 cleaning brush made for rifles...you get at least 30% more cleaning power with every pass!

View attachment 493516

Yep, I've been scrubbing my TX22 barrels for two days now, wish I realized this earlier...
thats just crazy!
what next you gonna start shooting 22 ammo thats designed for a rifle out of the pistols??---geeeez!

Hand Vertebrate World Product Organ

• Haha
Reactions: Danny Strife

· Registered
34 Posts
what ammo are you using?
I don't know who that is addressed to but if it is me.......
I prefer Norma Tac-22, I am currently using Aguila not because I am a fan of Mexican ammo but, it was available and the price was right. I am not a fan of the 800 round blue box of Federal - that seems to be hit or miss. I also like Armscor - it fed reliably.

· Registered
34 Posts
Update: My can of Kroil was all but empty so I soaked the barrel for a day in Hoppes #9. Again it reduced the problem some and the next patch thru was black filthy......I am stunned at how much "stuff" can get into barrel pores (and stay there). I also used the Hoppes "Tornado" bore "brush" (it isn't a brush) very happy with how it operates.

· Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I had the barrel completely cleaned out, until I soaked it in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar for 20 minutes, then brushed again and ran a few patches through it, they came out completely black. Couple more patches through until they actually squeaked going through and came out clean.

· Registered
3 Posts
Update: My can of Kroil was all but empty so I soaked the barrel for a day in Hoppes #9. Again it reduced the problem some and the next patch thru was black filthy......I am stunned at how much "stuff" can get into barrel pores (and stay there). I also used the Hoppes "Tornado" bore "brush" (it isn't a brush) very happy with how it operates.
Is it possible you have an early production barrel from Miami? I purchased a used TX22 and the barrel had chattering in it. I could not clean it even with copper dish pan cleaner wrapped around a brush.

I called Taurus and 3 days later I had a new barrel in the mail. No questions asked.

· Registered
168 Posts
Thought I had the barrel completely cleaned out, until I soaked it in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar for 20 minutes, then brushed again and ran a few patches through it, they came out completely black. Couple more patches through until they actually squeaked going through and came out clean.
I tried that after leading up my barrel really bad running Thunderbolts (Christmas gift). Ended up buying a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. Works pretty well, but needed to run it for about 45 minutes. I ran it for about 16 minutes then back to the bore brush with Hoppes then repeat. Also put the recoil springs in to clean them and it took some of the powder coat of the competition spring.

Attachments

· Registered
27 Posts
I tried that after leading up my barrel really bad running Thunderbolts (Christmas gift). Ended up buying a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. Works pretty well, but needed to run it for about 45 minutes. I ran it for about 16 minutes then back to the bore brush with Hoppes then repeat. Also put the recoil springs in to clean them and it took some of the powder coat of the competition spring.
I've been thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner. What solution do you use in your cleaner?

· Registered
168 Posts
Still experimenting with it. Used 40/40% vinegar-hydrogen peroxide 20% H2O then soak in water with 2 table spoons of baking soda and table spoon dawn dish soap per You Tube. Also 40/60% water/ Simple Green, both seem to work the same. It helps to place the objects you want to clean in a plastic container with the cleaning solution, then place that in warm water inside the cleaner. Cuts down on amount of cleaning solution and makes clean up easier.
I would use caution with the HF cleaner as the heating element will not turn off automatically, this is something you need to keep a eye on. Also if you use it more than 3 times consistently with the heat on it will shut down. The water gets hot so run it twice with the heat on then turn off the heat function and run only in the ultra sonic mode. After what I thought were clean parts then placing them in the cleaner and seeing the results of the dirty solution it appears to me to work well. As to the longevity of the HF cleaner, your guess is good as mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts