Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 970 to the range yesterday for an hour of therapy. Since I also took a few other toys I only put 70 rounds down range with this revolver. When I got home and started cleaning my 970, I noticed that I had pushed a small ring of lead out of the breach. It was about ¼ inch long. I was shooting Winchester Super X plated rounds. I only use plated bullets so my question is where did the lead come from? This hasn’t happened before so I’m curious. Any ideas?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wish you guys would say what caliber your gun is, not just the model number...not all of us are committed to memorizing all Taurus model numbers per their calibers.

I'll guess an say its a .357, and if so what velocity speed do the Winchester Super X clock at in fps.

A plated bullet will sometime shed some of its plated jacket if pushed too fast. If indeed these are magnum velocity rounds, I'd dispense with using them any further and go to copper jacketed bullets; or gas check ones.

It also doesn't hurt to know your bore rifling diameter, as well as the bullet's diameter before entering the bore.

For example, I'm shooting .432 bullets in an oversize cylinder throat situation, and the rifling is .429...well, something got to give. And if this scenario is your problem
the bullet will most assuredly do some shedding of its plating...thus, causing your 1/4 inch lead ring to appear.

Then that is just a guess on my part, but its something to think about.

TB C45

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tracker Backer C45 said:
I wish you guys would say what caliber your gun is, not just the model number...not all of us are committed to memorizing all Taurus model numbers per their calibers.
My appologies Tracker Backer. I should have metioned the caliber. Just got caught up in the question and forgot one important piece of info. The 970 is the Tracker in 22lr. The Winchester Super X is a high velocity 40gr. I've not experienced this with other plated rounds. However the point you make about shedding some plating might hold true even for this diminuative round.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the caliber clarification, and the .22 Super X must be pretty fast stuff to be shedding some of its plated jacket.

Maybe switch brands to something that don't shed. Also let the manufacturer know about your problem.

TB C45

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tracker Backer C45 said:
Thanks for the caliber clarification, and the .22 Super X must be pretty fast stuff to be shedding some of its plated jacket.

Maybe switch brands to something that don't shed. Also let the manufacturer know about your problem.

TB C45
Didn't seem to have the shedding problem with the Walther P22 that I feed the same ammo. I was just trying to get off cheap!!! Guess it's back to CCI Minimags. Oh and by the way TB C45, GO PACKERS!

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
There will always be some lead contamintation from the lead styphenate priming of any conventional ammunition, regardless of bullet plating. "Green" ammo with Lead-Free Priming eliminates that but causes other less desirable problems, such as more wear on the bore, from more corrosive gases.

Also, frequently there will be lead from the base of the bullet that is eroded from the powder burning process down the barrel. Plated or jacketed bullets cut down on lead deposits, but cannot eliminate them. Thickly plated TMJ bullets eliminate bullet base lead erosion, but you will not find them in .22's.

Sorry, you'll just have to clean your guns!

My .22's thrive on Winchester Super-X's and CCI Mini-Mags!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jwc007 said:
Sorry, you'll just have to clean your guns!
Damn....I though I had bought the "self cleaning version"!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts