Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just bought and test fired this little beauty, a GSG-5. 24+1 rounds of 22LR in a dead ringer copy of the H&K MP-5. It is a very high-quality German-made trainer/plinker rifle. It has a legal length barrel masked by a fake suppressor shroud, 4 rotating peep windage adjustable sights, claw mount compatible, single high capacity magazine, same cocking lever and safety as an MP-5.

This little gem is not a toy and has a serious heft like the real thing. It points perfectly and the cheek rest is perfect for me (some other brands don't let me get low enough for the rear sight. The trigger is good and the gun drills one hole 24rd groups at 10 yards semi rapid fire with no effort on my part. I am sure it will shoot accurately at 25 yards slow fire too, but rapid fire is what makes this gun so kick arse.

I fired 200 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag high velocity (1235 fps) and 50 rounds of CCI Velocitor hypervelocity (1435 fps) with zero stoppages or jams. The bolt holds open after the last shot (a feature that worked everytime). There is a little plastic piece that inserts into the chamber that was discarded by the gunsmith who prepared my gun. In most guns this piece is not needed and discarded. The GSG-5 uses this piece to decock (dry fire) the gun before disassembly. In lieu of this missing piece, I use an aluminum dummy round to decock (dry fire) prior to disassembly. The gun has a magazine safety and the bolt will not close on an empty mag. This is actually a good feature as dry firing without a dummy round can damage some 22 rimfire guns.

Disassembly is a bit fiddly as tools are needed (included) and the screw fasteners appear delicate. The polymer rear stock attaches to the polymer trigger assembly with only one pin/screw and the hole in the trigger assembly was a tad oversized, making the stock wobble a bit. I applied one layer of aluminum tape (the good type of duct tape) to the pin, and now the stock is much steadier. The rear sight has a windage set screw and adjustment screw, make sure both are tight before shooting (my adjustment screw was very loose). It thought that the screw on barrel shroud/fake suppressor would loosen with shooting, but it stayed tight without any Loc-tite. Someone reported that the mag follower small nut and bolt loosened, but mine was very tight.

Magazines are in very short supply. My single mag will hold 24 rounds. I could sure use a couple more of these mags. Even a few short 10 rounders would be nice. But owners are apparently hoarding mags, making them hard to come by. One owner said not to grasp the mag when firing as it can induce malfunctions, but I find holding the fore grip simple enough and did not feel any need to hold the gun by the mag. The mag has integral mag spring depressers on each side, making loading mags easy on the thumbs. Because of the high capacity, my GSG-5 was classified as an assault weapon, and I had to go home to get proof of citizenship (voter ID, passport, or birth certificate). Luckily, the salesman held the gun for me, as many other customers and a few salesmen were clamoring to buy it ($499).

The mag release and manual safety are fully ambidextrous. The cocking lever works best for a righty, but it is easy to reach over if you are a lefty. Sling mounts are on the left side, optimal for a righty. The gun was fairly easy to fieldstrip (with the supplied tools) and clean, however, do it at home as the small fasteners could get lost in the field. The bolt assembly does not look user friendly for detail stripping.

There are some MP-5 and air soft accessories that may fit this gun. Some users have gone all out with optics, collapsing rear stocks, vertical fore grips, lasers, etc. I think I will keep mine simple as is. It looks gorgeous in the photo (stolen) as stock does it not?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya these look interesting.. gonna wait though, not really prepaired to pay 500 bucks for it.. and mags are kinda expensive and scarce like you said.. well heck the guns scarce at this point too.

i would definitely have to SBR it though.. no way i'd even want the thing with that extra barrel length.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
right on....that is a cool gun...those MP-5s sure look like fun to shoot(Well at least in video games..lol :D)

and a .22 version, there is some money saved in ammo

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robby said:
That would be a heck of a lot of fun to have, just to see the look on some people faces when you brought it to the range.
With the magazine removed, the GSG-5 fits nicely in a short carbine soft case. When I took it out at the indoor range, the range employees were mightily impressed. And they have seen EVERYTHING including real H&K MP5's (they rent full auto submachine guns). I told the range owner to hold it to check out its heft and he cracked a huge smile across his face. Normal people cannot legally own (or afford) a real H&K MP5. Even the clones can be pricey and won't be German made with this level of quality. Being a 22, it is very inexpensive to own and shoot. I tracked down two spare 22 rd mags (you can actually fit 24+1 rds) and have some more on back order.

What might get expensive are the accessories. You can buy Airsoft MP5 accessories (Classic Army appears to be the best brand) such as claw scope mounts, optics, folding stocks, collapsing stocks, flash light fore grips, railed fore grips, lasers, etc. But you don't have to because it is awesome just as stock.

Shooting it the first time was eerie. I set out a small target sheet with 1" orange dots at 10 yards and fired 24 rds with the iron peep sight, semi rapid fire. I just kept the target dot dancing on the top of the front post and kept pulling the trigger. After emptying the magazine, I looked up expecting a spray pattern. But what I saw was the orange dot chewed out with a one hole group!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case any of you buy this gun I have a few tips. The rear stock can wobble a bit since it is held by a single pin/screw in an oversized hole. The fix was to apply one layer of aluminum tape to the pin (the good kind of duct tape, not the gray fabric type) and to Superglue a 1/16" rubber bumber to the bottom front edge of the rear stock (to fill in a small gap between the rear stock and trigger assembly). The fore grip had a slight creak. I fixed that by removing the foregrip and slipping on a small rubber cap onto a long threaded allen bolt that was rubbing the inside of the fore grip. These fixes tightened everything up completely and now the gun is solid with a one piece feel. The loose fitting stock seems to be the only complaint about this gun but it is completely fixable.

Another option would be to replace the rear stock. A real H&K MP5 rear stock will not fit supposedly, but Classic Army Airsoft stocks will fit. I may pick up a folding stock. H&K MP5 fore grips will fit with minor modification, supposedly.

The shop found the little red piece used to decock the gun. It is called the "level indicator" and is a chamber plug, usually discarded with new gun purchases. To disassemble, the gun must be decocked, and the only way to decock it is to pull the trigger and dry fire. However, the gun will not dry fire unless there is a mag inserted and the breech will not close unless there is a loaded mag or no mag. You should not dry fire this rimfire weapon without a dummy round or the chamber plug (level indicator) to protect the breech face and firing pin. Therefore to decock the gun you first triple check to make sure the chamber is empty with no mag inserted, insert the red chamber plug (level indicator), allow the breech to close on the chamber plug (again making sure there is not a real round in the chamber), insert an EMPTY mag, take the safety off, point in a safe direction, and pull the trigger to dry fire. I was using an aluminum snap cap, but the level indicator is soft and even more protective of the firing pin. It sounds a little complicated, but it was designed to reduce the risk of rimfire dry fire damage.

You do not have to count rounds as you load the magazine, as that would be tedious with such a high capacity. When the magazine spring depresser bottoms out, the mag is fully loaded with 24 rds. The stated capacity is 22 rounds but 24 will fit. As well as full capacity mags on order, I also have two limited capacity 10 rd mags on back order. I am hoping these will be half length for prone position shooting.

As with a real MP5, the cocking handle does not reciprocate when fired. It is used to chamber a round or to hold the breech open (when pulled back and shifted over to the hold open notch at the top of the receiver top end). With a real MP5 you can slap the cocking handle knob down to disengage the cocking handle from the notch to chamber a round. You can do this with the GSG-5, but are advised not to. The GSG-5 upper receiver is made of aluminum and the notch "hook" can wear out if slapped shut repeatedly. Instead, just pull the cocking handle back and down (and release) to chamber a round. If you hand the GSG-5 to an MP5 fanatic, tell them not to slap it. Actually, what sold me on this gun was the cocking handle knob. The knob is solid steel with a complex concave/convex gripping surfaces and checkering. Extremely high quality.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Saw one of these at the store yesterday while picking up an order. They were taking preorders for $500. Now I want one but that doesn't mean I'll get one. :-\ Just very cool and I bet it would be a blast to shoot rapid fire. I'd like to get it with the collapsible stock... I heard that's $150 extra... awfully expensive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Using Remington Golden bullet .22 High velocity I had a lot of stove piping... like way too much. Granted I didn't clean the rifle out of the box, I didn't expect that amount of trouble. I'm blame Remington, all the ammo I've ever used from them generally sucks.

You can empty the mag in appox 6 seconds. As far as accuracy, mine shot a little low and to the left. You can adjust for windage, but there are no elevation adjustments. I'm tempted to file down the front site post, but there's no going back on that one. I might go the optics route, but I'd like to keep it stock if possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use CCI MiniMag (high velocity) in all of my 22LR auto pistols and rifles with good results. It costs more but is extremely reliable. Give it a try.

Because of the height of the sights over the barrel, the gun may shoot low at close range, due to offset. Try sighting in at 25 yards before altering the front post. I removed my rear sight assembly out of curiousity. It might be possible for you to cut a small aluminum shim to raise the rear sight. You should be able to clamp the shim under the rear sight assembly with the top screw and it would be reversible and non-destructive.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
WildRice said:
I use CCI MiniMag (high velocity) in all of my 22LR auto pistols and rifles with good results. It costs more but is extremely reliable. Give it a try.
I agree, CCI 22LR is great ammo, very reliable, consistent ammo. Green Tag is very accurate!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shimming it is a great idea. Hopefully the ones I already have are the right size to get the screw through, else it might be a trip to the hardware store.

It was shooting low at both 25m and 50m by a few inches.

I ran some subsonic CCIs through it... I don't remember any problems. Anyone have suggestions for bulk/cheap ammo that works?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would not take much material to shim enough for a few inches a 25m. I would try a small section of thin aluminum flashing, or even a shim cut from an aluminum can. Aluminum is a soft metal that should compress with the top screw. You should not need a longer top screw.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So as I understand it, except for the metal core parts such as the receiver, barrel, magazine, etc, the GSG-5 uses Airsoft-compatible parts so you can add Airsoft accessories to it. I'm thinking of buying one and replacing the factory stock with a Classic Army Airsoft stock.

Now legally you are not allowed to remove the stock, but I've seen pictures of it with folding stocks and retractable stocks. Are both of these configurations legal, or do they require a tax stamp?

Ironically, there's a pistol version of the GSG-5 with a short (10") barrel and no stock, and that's legal, because technically... it's a pistol! Maybe not as accurate, but it would be a fun plinker too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.