Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get generic gun springs. I would like to figure out a slightly quicker rebounding sear spring for my 617. I noticed while rapid firing that the sear to trigger action sometimes can't keep up on my M617. It doesn't cause the gun to misfire, but it will require a quite reset to get the action back. More just for performance tuning ;), it cycles fine otherwise. I have a 9# trigger spring and the stock hammer spring.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
It doesn't appear that Wolff, Brownells, or Numrich offer the standard weight trigger return spring of 14 to 15 lbs. Maybe Taurus would sell you one? :confused:

Still, my 85 requires a deliberate and long trigger reset. It has never jammed up the action in live rapid firing, but I have experienced it in dry firing with snap caps if I don't release the trigger all the way. The recoil from firing live ammo gives me plenty of time to get my finger off the trigger allowing good reset to the point I don't even think about it during live firing.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I wouldn't put generic springs in my firearms unless they were of a known quality. The function of your firearm is too important to leave it to chance. Maybe someone like Wolff would make you a custom spring?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the 9 lb spring is not sufficient, then why not simply change back to the standard 12 lb spring that came in the gun ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I worded my question incorrectly sorry about that. There is a very small spring that sits between the sear and the hammer. If you look at the sear it sits on the bottom of the hammer assembly like the lower half of a duck bill. between the sear and the hammer assembly is a very slight/small spring. When I rapid fire through the action with the side plate off I notice the one spot that the action hangs up is where the sear and the trigger come together. I noticed that the sear does not rebound fast enough while rapid firing thus missing the trigger and causing the action to require a reset. I am thinking that maybe that tiny spring is wearing causing the sear not to snap back into the trigger fast enough during rapid fire. The main spring and the trigger spring are actually good, although with the stock main spring back in(I had the Wollf 10# main spring, I do get some preloading sometimes while dry firing if I dry fire roughly 20-30 times. It's a shame I can't have a conversation with a Taurus gunsmith. I would love to fine tune this thing. I am pretty competent with a revolver but no gun smith. Local gunsmiths simply aren't interested in working on Taruus revolvers. I have tried.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, a spring is a spring. If you can find a suitably-sized spring, of a workable weight, to fit....then why not try it ? There is nothing special about the coil springs manufactured specifically for guns - as I said, a spring is a spring. The rub is that you have no reliable way to test the deflection rating of the spring you have. I doubt that Taurus will provide that information readily. You can, of course, remove the spring from the gun and carefully measure the free length and diameter, as a way to get started.

I would suggest specialty supply houses for this sort of thing. Surely you can find springs that will fit, with enough effort. Finding the correct deflection rating is another matter.

Unfortunately, though, you may be up against limitations in the design of the gun, as regards the max. cyclic rate of the action. With autoloaders, it's easy, because the recoil force of each round (or gas pressure in the case of gas-operated guns) powers the action. With revolvers, it's another bag of chips altogether.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Unfortunately, though, you may be up against limitations in the design of the gun, as regards the max. cyclic rate of the action. With autoloaders, it's easy, because the recoil force of each round (or gas pressure in the case of gas-operated guns) powers the action. With revolvers, it's another bag of chips altogether."

I think you hit the nail on the head here. This crossed my mind as well. I was thinking about last time I was at a gunsmiths shop and he had a huge selection of "generic" springs and retaining pins. When I was thinking about this challenge I though "maybe these springs are readily available" like a "gunsmiths spring set"? I am going to speak with the gunsmith at my range and see if he has any suggestions. You're also right about the deflection rating. If I can get my hands on some of those smaller size springs I would love to try a few for kicks. I will have to get a few becuase last time I took that spring out I sent it into orbit and actually found it but also had a REALLY clean room as a bi-product LOL. I am a huge fan of the 617 and am trying to figure out as many performance enhancements to get it too a new level. The one I have is pretty well worn so it is my R&D gun ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a spring selection from Numrich years ago. they were all about5 or 6 inches long and were in a plastic tube. Various diameters and spring rates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts