Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i guess i have been living under a rock, cause this is the first i have heard about a recall. i have a Gen 1 pt140, is it too late to send it in for repair/replace? i am the original owner of the pistol, i bought it new in 2003ish.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I believe the claim process is closed;

"Please be advised, the settlement is final – On August 15, 2017, the court entered an order regarding the claim filing process; this order is available for review on the settlement website. The claim filing period begins on October 9, 2017 and ends on February 6, 2018. A notice with additional information will be emailed or mailed to those individuals who registered for updates; notice will also be provided through the PR Newswire Service."

Taurus Class Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I called the 800 number and was told they will swap it out with a g2c 9mm. In an ironic turn of events I just bought that gun 3 days ago (the g2c) which was my reason for joining this forum. Wamp, wamp wamp waaaammmpppp.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is covered under the extended warranty now. No cash option but you can send it in for repair. They will repair or replace at their option.
They wont fix it but will give you a G2 in 9mm

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Is there something wrong with the firearm?

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Some have had luck bargaining for a different gun. Maybe you can talk them out of a G2C in .40. At least it wouldn't be another in 9mm.

I had no idea of any recall when I bought my first Taurus. It wasn't a recall gun, but I've purchased 3 recall guns since then. They all work, so I'll keep them until they break and I can't fix them...then send them in for the replacement-of-the-day.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Well i guess i have been living under a rock, cause this is the first i have heard about a recall. i have a Gen 1 pt140, is it too late to send it in for repair/replace? i am the original owner of the pistol, i bought it new in 2003ish.
Your PT140 should be covered under the "Enhanced Lifetime Transferable Warranty." That means that forever, you can send it to Taurus and they will replace your PT140 with the 9mm G2 model (or similar, whatever they happen to have in the future).

The G2 model is routinely on sale for $200 or less. Currently, it's on sale on the internet for $180 and Taurus has a $30 rebate, making the gun about $150.

Some owners have reported the process taking several months, while others have reported it taking a year or longer. Lots of inconsistency in whether owners get contacted when it ships. They are also supposed to cover FFL and shipping fees, but owners have reported difficulty getting Taurus to reimburse.

So, you have to really ask yourself if trading in your PT140 to get a $150 gun with all the wait and hassle is worth it? It may or may not be for you...

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as stated before, there is nothing wrong with it, except the recall, which i discovered that problem the recall addresses shortly after buying it. i just said to my self, ok never hold trigger half way down then engage safety, simple enough. then over the years i i have had lots of handguns, some taurus some not. but about 3 days ago i bought a g2c for conceal carry, joined this forum to get some insight on it and my other taurus guns and noticed a recall on the old pt140, i gave to my dad about 5 years ago, and now see i could swapped it out for the g2c i just bought. its cool either way, i'm sure pops would rather the nicer S/A trigger of the g2c than that mile long DOA trigger of the pt140. if not i'll give him a .38 revolver, I've got a few of them. its ok either way. wonder if they will let me swap it for a purple g2c? the wife was asking about one the other day. remember you can never have too many guns or bullets for that matter.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
So I called the 800 number and was told they will swap it out with a g2c 9mm. In an ironic turn of events I just bought that gun 3 days ago (the g2c) which was my reason for joining this forum. Wamp, wamp wamp waaaammmpppp.
LMAO!!! That made me laugh, the wamp wamp thing. Hang in there buddy, nothing wrong with two G2's! ;)

·
23,195 Posts
I'd just keep the .40. Nothing I've heard about the whole issue makes me think it's worth downgrading from a .40 to a 9.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I'd argue with Taurus downgrading caliber. It would be .40 or a lawyer, they can take their pick. I still have three PT24/7 units two .40 and one 9mm - if and when I ever return I will not take a Mil G2 as a replacement - it will be a TH or TS or lawyer time.

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'd argue with Taurus downgrading caliber. It would be .40 or a lawyer, they can take their pick. I still have three PT24/7 units two .40 and one 9mm - if and when I ever return I will not take a Mil G2 as a replacement - it will be a TH or TS or lawyer time.
Wow, you must have some deep pockets. You'd probably spend fifty times the cost of the gun, just trying to fight that one.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Wow, you must have some deep pockets. You'd probably spend fifty times the cost of the gun, just trying to fight that one.
Not if you win legal fees... and in my view Taurus appears in breach having promised a fix or comparable replacement.

Reactions: Wino

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Not if you win legal fees... and in my view Taurus appears in breach having promised a fix or comparable replacement.
Kinda hard to find a fix for people not having proper gun handling skills, but hey, everybody is suing these days for their own lack of accountability....................

·
Banned
79 Posts
Kinda hard to find a fix for people not having proper gun handling skills, but hey, everybody is suing these days for their own lack of accountability....................
Yup, just never shake your loaded recalled Taurus and you're good to go. So, no running, jogging, competitions, etc...

:thumb:

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Yup, just never shake your loaded recalled Taurus and you're good to go. So, no running, jogging, competitions, etc...

Try doing a little more research and you will find that those pistols were worked on by the cops themselves, IE trigger work.................
That video has been out for a long time and been proven to be not exactly telling the truth...................

·
23,195 Posts
Yes, that video is years old.

Just check your actual facts and you're good to go. So no brand bashing, no rude or abusive language, no disrespect to others...

Reactions: loudviking

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts

Do you know how many trolls have posted this here at TA? :icon_rolleyes: I've seen this well more than 12 times. Obviously a trigger job gone bad. You'll have to try better than that. :D

Reactions: CJS3 and rodfair

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i probably just keep it if i cant talk them into something other than another g2c 9mm. that was the first gun i ever bought and ,at the time, i had no idea of what a good trigger felt like. i now know the trigger pull on it and almost all gen1 doa triggers suck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts