Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up an 1873 colt SAA copy in the near future and will probably go with the 45 LC. I started pricing ammo and Wow, that stuff's expensive. So I'll probably buy a few boxes of commercial ammo but where is a good source for Brass and bullets. I have primers and powder for now so that's not going to be an issue. The die sets are also readily available so I'm not worried about them. I do have a few hundred lead bullets 230 gr .451 dia that I'm using for the 1911 so aside from slugging the barrel I should be ok to use those as well. I see Midway's got 100 ct starline for about 25 so I do have an option. Any other sources for brass and bullets (either lead or plated) would be helpful.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Not the most popular secondary market brass. I like 'Colorado Once Fired' - they have 500 range brass in 45 LC for $75. Not a steal but available. Shipping is reasonable. Curious how it compares to Midway?!?!

45 LC once fired brass cases for reloading

There will be more but it will take more digging than most.

* oh, they beat Midway by a mile - mixed head stamps and needs cleaned but...

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Other than me saying I'll keep mine for you I can't help. :)

Which clone are you looking at? I have an Uberti Cattleman and absolutely love it!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
gunloads.castboolits.com

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Modern- made after World War 2- .45 Colt guns have .451 bores just like your .45ACP, so those cast lead bullets will work. Folks usually use .452 for lead bullets in .45 Colt and I know several that swear by the original .454's. Personally, I use 230gr .452 with good results in several (4 pistols and 2 rifles) guns. (I'm cheap and lazy, so I use the same bullet for both .45ACP and .45COLT- the 230gr truncated cone- tumble lube from a 6 hole LEE mold.)

The issue most folks get when the start loading .45Colt is that it doesn't seal well when loading light bullets (200gr or lower) or light powder charges. You'll see a lot of burned powder that looks like soot on the side of the cases. Sometimes, it's just a streak on one side, sometimes it's all the way around. The only ways I've found to limit the phenomenon is to use 230gr or heavier bullets, a firm to heavy crimp and to keep the powder charges at least in the middle 1/3 or higher of the listed range for the powder in question. If the bullet's got a crimp groove, use it, too, but it's not necessary when loading lead bullets.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Administrator
39,688 Posts
For the clones, I highly recommend the Cimarron/Ubertis, which I have two of. As for bullets to reload, Missouri Bullet Company has the best price and selection of cowboy style bullets in several different bullet weights. I really like the 250gr. round nose flat point. It's also good in the clone lever action rifles, due to the flat nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Modern- made after World War 2- .45 Colt guns have .451 bores just like your .45ACP, so those cast lead bullets will work. Folks usually use .452 for lead bullets in .45 Colt and I know several that swear by the original .454's. Personally, I use 230gr .452 with good results in several (4 pistols and 2 rifles) guns. (I'm cheap and lazy, so I use the same bullet for both .45ACP and .45COLT- the 230gr truncated cone- tumble lube from a 6 hole LEE mold.)

The issue most folks get when the start loading .45Colt is that it doesn't seal well when loading light bullets (200gr or lower) or light powder charges. You'll see a lot of burned powder that looks like soot on the side of the cases. Sometimes, it's just a streak on one side, sometimes it's all the way around. The only ways I've found to limit the phenomenon is to use 230gr or heavier bullets, a firm to heavy crimp and to keep the powder charges at least in the middle 1/3 or higher of the listed range for the powder in question. If the bullet's got a crimp groove, use it, too, but it's not necessary when loading lead bullets.
Exactly my experience.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I'll be picking up an 1873 colt SAA copy in the near future and will probably go with the 45 LC. I started pricing ammo and Wow, that stuff's expensive. So I'll probably buy a few boxes of commercial ammo but where is a good source for Brass and bullets. I have primers and powder for now so that's not going to be an issue. The die sets are also readily available so I'm not worried about them. I do have a few hundred lead bullets 230 gr .451 dia that I'm using for the 1911 so aside from slugging the barrel I should be ok to use those as well. I see Midway's got 100 ct starline for about 25 so I do have an option. Any other sources for brass and bullets (either lead or plated) would be helpful.
2cents.gif If you haven't bought that peacemaker copy yet concider this, A Ruger Blackhawk Convertable in .45 Colt and a spare cylinder for .45ACP. Those ACP's are pleantyfull everywhere and that single action don't need no damn moon clips. Mine just loves 200gn, .452 SWC's over 7 grains of Unique, a little hot for some bottom feeders but that Ruger spits em out real accurate....

Ruger Blackhawk .45 2.jpg

Ruger Blackhawk at the range.jpg

·
Registered
5,476 Posts

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
View attachment 115049 If you haven't bought that peacemaker copy yet concider this, A Ruger Blackhawk Convertable in .45 Colt and a spare cylinder for .45ACP. Those ACP's are pleantyfull everywhere and that single action don't need no damn moon clips. Mine just loves 200gn, .452 SWC's over 7 grains of Unique, a little hot for some bottom feeders but that Ruger spits em out real accurate....

Makes me want to get another one. I had the convertible 45LC/45ACP but sold it when I came back from TX.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went with the Pietta. I couldn't beat the price anywhere for any other SAA at $335 from Buds. I picked up some cleaned and sized once fired from the shop I picked the pistol up at. 50 ct of mixed head stamps, 50/50 split of Starline and Hornady for 12 bucks to get me started. I did check my lead bullets for my 45 ACP loads and they're .452, 230 gr TC so I should be good for at least 200 rounds on the boolits.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hit up the gun show in Mesquite for a purpose. Picked up new Starline brass, $22/100. I should've bought more. 250gr FN cast swaged at .452 at $11/hundred, have the primers and powders and picked up the Lee carbide 4 die set. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the remainder of the day. Also managed to score some 38 super ammo for the wife at $22/50 box of factory ammo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts