Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a SS Taurus Gaucho since Christmas. I just noticed while cleaning the gun that when I pull the trigger with the hammer down, the firing pin comes out far enough to reach the bullet. Is this normal, or should I contact Taurus about it??

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I do not have a Gaucho, but most of us that have SA guns, only load 5, and keep empty under the hammer. I thought the Gaucho had the bar to keep the hammer from moving the firing pin, but then I noted you said the hammer was down, and you pulled the trigger. Odd, because I thought the hammer had to strike the pin to move it forward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I press in the trigger the safety bar goes up and pushes the firing pin. It seems that the hammer holds the bar close to the frame, so when the trigger is pulled the bar moves up to press on the firing pin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your gaucho is fine. The firing pin will only come out when the hammer is down and the trigger is in the rear position. This is to prevent the gaucho from firing if there were a blow to the hammer. The original colts without transfer bar could fire if the hammer were hit hard enough for it to go forward. If the hammer were to drop forward without the trigger in the rear position, nothing would happen. That is why the Gaucho or any other SA with transfer bar is safe to carry with six chambers loaded. Enjoy your Gaucho with no worries about this matter. I love my Gaucho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!! Now I can go out shooting this weekend!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts