Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped for gas in Fort Pierce, FL yesterday, my Low fuel light was not on, however I suspect it would be coming on shortly. My fuel range meter read I had 45 miles until empty. Gas pump was kind of slow, but whatever I needed to stretch anyways. When the pump finally clicked off I was surprised to see that it read 16.432 gallons. Dang I did not even top the tank off this time.

I got thinking, that was a lot of gas for my car. Now I have run my tank pretty low in the past some times to the point where the low fuel light has been on for a while and the fuel range meter has read 1 mile until empty. Looked back through my fuel logs from since I owned the car and I have only put in more than 16 gallons 1 time. The most I ever put in was 16.025 gallons, and that was around the first of the month and I remember thinking I was going to run out of gas as the fuel range meter read 15 miles to empty when I left the Everglades and I had a good 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Fuel range meter read 1 mile to go for the last 3 miles before I made it to the station. I know that is the lowest I have ever been. How could I possibly put 0.407 gallons more in this time around when I still had over a gallon left in my tank based on the the low fuel light not being on and the range meter of 45 miles?

I filed a complaint to the Department of Agriculture today asking them to investigate the pump for accuracy. Will be interesting to see if they get back with me regarding this.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Be aware that if the fuel pump is in the fuel tank you could be killing it by running your fuel so low.
On the newer cars with the fuel pump in the tank the fuel cools the pump and too little fuel will not cool it enough.
Also temperature can affect the amount of fuel your tank will hold.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've had similar experiences. I thought for sure I had a 20 gallon tank in my truck, but I put in 21 gallons one day.

The millage calculators are a good suggestion, but I wouldn't count on it either way.

·
Registered
18,487 Posts
Tex is our resident authority on fuel gauges, all pertinent questions should prob'ly be directed to him. As DWARREN stated, it's bad juju to run a tank low. Personally, I recommend letting it get no lower than 1/4 tank. However, it should be noted that a fuel pump never fails on an empty tank. Most that I've replaced, died at the gas station immediately after being topped-off...:sad:...it's a Murphy thing.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another thing to think about here is that the pump nozzle is what decides when a pump shuts off, not the amount of fuel in the tank. Not all nozzles are created equally, and most modern nozzles are quite conservative so as not to create a spill. And the amount a tank is rated for isn't absolute. Obviously it can only hold so much, but what I'm saying is a 20 gallon tank might actually be 20.7 gallons. Also, the fuel line from the filler to the tank can hold another gallon as well. A modern nozzle that is functioning correctly is meant to keep that fuel line empty, where as one that's not may allow you to fill it to the brim. You've probably seen signs at gas stations saying not to top off as it may cause a spill. This isn't because that fuel line is filled, it's because it's meant to stay clear and topping off (filling that line) may inadvertently cause a spill.

Really not trying to say what you experienced was normal, just pointing out that there's a lot of variables that could contribute to the amounts you saw, and they aren't necessarily incorrect.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I'm surprised that it was so important to you if you had to file a complaint with the state and asked that the stations pump be calibrated.

Don

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Stopped for gas in Fort Pierce, FL yesterday, my Low fuel light was not on, however I suspect it would be coming on shortly. My fuel range meter read I had 45 miles until empty. Gas pump was kind of slow, but whatever I needed to stretch anyways. When the pump finally clicked off I was surprised to see that it read 16.432 gallons. Dang I did not even top the tank off this time.

I got thinking, that was a lot of gas for my car. Now I have run my tank pretty low in the past some times to the point where the low fuel light has been on for a while and the fuel range meter has read 1 mile until empty. Looked back through my fuel logs from since I owned the car and I have only put in more than 16 gallons 1 time. The most I ever put in was 16.025 gallons, and that was around the first of the month and I remember thinking I was going to run out of gas as the fuel range meter read 15 miles to empty when I left the Everglades and I had a good 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Fuel range meter read 1 mile to go for the last 3 miles before I made it to the station. I know that is the lowest I have ever been. How could I possibly put 0.407 gallons more in this time around when I still had over a gallon left in my tank based on the the low fuel light not being on and the range meter of 45 miles?

I filed a complaint to the Department of Agriculture today asking them to investigate the pump for accuracy. Will be interesting to see if they get back with me regarding this.
All depends on the way the burisma blows
around Fort Pierce.

·
Registered
27,127 Posts
Variation is most likely in the fuel gauge, but it very well could be the pump. Pumps are mechanical devices and they wear. I believe the standard for accuracy is ±3%. And 0.4 gal. is 2.5% of 16 gal. So even if the gas station pump is at fault, they are still within the acceptable error.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
As for being able to put an extra .4 gallons of gas in a fuel tank, most fuel tanks are made of a poly material that will flex with the temperature. Colder temps will stiffen the poly material, where warm/hot temps will allow the tank to flex or slightly expand.

I do agree with the belief and practice of not running the fuel tank down to where the low fuel light lights up.

·
17,578 Posts
I ran into an inaccurate pump once. No, it wasn't a big deal to me, but it ain't right. Kind of like if your credit card company charged everybody an extra penney. Not a lot of money to any individual but do it every month to a few million card holders and it looks like a lot more money.

I reported it. I got a form letter type message back that Weights & Measures had their budget cut and no longer investigated individual complaints. My complaint was dully noted and forwarded to the owner of the station. It would only be investigated if there were multiple complaints.

·
Super Moderator
40,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received a phone call today from a state inspector a few minutes ago. She is going to check the pump tomorrow and will let me know what she finds. She asked me several questions and did say that every once in a while a pump does go out of calibration. This particular station has not been inspected in over a year and is do anyway.

·
Super Moderator
40,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Variation is most likely in the fuel gauge, but it very well could be the pump. Pumps are mechanical devices and they wear. I believe the standard for accuracy is ±3%. And 0.4 gal. is 2.5% of 16 gal. So even if the gas station pump is at fault, they are still within the acceptable error.
The acceptable range is +/- 1/2 cup per 5 gallons and yes most discrepancies are from worn equipment.

·
Registered
27,127 Posts
The acceptable range is +/- 1/2 cup per 5 gallons and yes most discrepancies are from worn equipment.
I'm so ashamed! I made a math error! OMG... I'm going to go hide in my room.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
How long since anybody saw this? I did yesterday, filled up my truck at this price almost wish my tank was bigger.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
State inspector just called me back. They took the pump out of service today. She ran a 5 gallon test and noted the pump ran very slow. It was just within the acceptable range. She ran tests on all the other pumps at that station and all were fine and she noted they all pumped faster. She ran a second 5 gallon test on this pump and it came out unacceptable. Because of this test and the inconsistency with the first test they took it out of service. She did not tell me how off it was the second time.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
State inspector just called me back. They took the pump out of service today. She ran a 5 gallon test and noted the pump ran very slow. It was just within the acceptable range. She ran tests on all the other pumps at that station and all were fine and she noted they all pumped faster. She ran a second 5 gallon test on this pump and it came out unacceptable. Because of this test and the inconsistency with the first test they took it out of service. She did not tell me how off it was the second time.
Thank you for the update.
Inspiration to be more meticulous about my records.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts