Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Terrible way to end the life of a classic. Be carefull out there....

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Whoa! I think her left hand was injured by wood and steel fragments. There would be no way to avoid it with that kaboom. This happened to an acquaintance who blew up a Marlin 1895. It required surgery to remove all of the fragments. Hope she wasn't too badly hurt. WOW!

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
What are we thinking? Out of battery round or squib?
Kelteck made Garands?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Was it a squib! The recoil from her last shot looks similar to the rest and gas from barrel too.
Something made her check the chamber but if it was an fte she'd have cycled it. Maybe a round not fully seated - partially out of battery. That could grenade the gun and I don't see anything happen up the barrel.

Whatever it it was that is a dead gun and I sure hope she is okay. Looks like all parts attached on her at least. Ouch.

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
WOW! I am sure it left a mark somewhere for sure; mental if nothing else! I have never seen one that bad before, only a bunch of split barrels.

·
Registered
24,808 Posts
I hope she wasn't hurt. That had to be a terrible waste of a good Garand.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Was it a squib! The recoil from her last shot looks similar to the rest and gas from barrel too.
Something made her check the chamber but if it was an fte she'd have cycled it. Maybe a round not fully seated - partially out of battery. That could grenade the gun and I don't see anything happen up the barrel.

Whatever it it was that is a dead gun and I sure hope she is okay. Looks like all parts attached on her at least. Ouch.
It was a squib. Her last round was a click with no shot or recoil (you can see her flinch as she pulls the trigger.) She then worked the action by hand to clear the empty, not realizing she had a bullet lodged in the rifling ahead of the chamber. That should have been a stopping point. There may have been some loose powder in the action. She cycled a fresh round and KABOOM.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
It was a squib. Her last round was a click with no shot or recoil (you can see her flinch as she pulls the trigger.) She then worked the action by hand to clear the empty, not realizing she had a bullet lodged in the rifling ahead of the chamber. That should have been a stopping point. There may have been some loose powder in the action. She cycled a fresh round and KABOOM.
Oh yeah - on the big screen I see her pull the trigger - last comments were made from iPhone. SQUIB!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Sadly that did look like you nailed it.

30-06 is 60,000 psi normally. But block the bullet from moving and it goes radically higher. 100,000? 200,000 psi?

Squibs scare me!

·
22,843 Posts
Hope she's okay! Teach, teach, remind, then teach some more! This was preventable.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how she made out. I glanced through the comments and came away with the impression she escaped major injuries. I do know if that happened to me my skivvies would be rendered unfit for duty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts