Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Galloway Precision Rack Assist Installation

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jlewis39 
#1 ·
I received the rack assist several days ago along w/ their recoil spring/rod assembly. Needless to say, installing the later was super simple & took but a few seconds compared w/ the close to a half hour the first time I reinstalled the factory pieces. However, try as I may, can't seem to get the rear cover off that the rack assist replaces. I've watched the videos below several times to see what I'm possibly missing even though neither shows things all that clearly. Don't want to mar the cover in case I decided to reinstall it, so I've used only my thumbs. Am I missing something or am I just not strong enough? I don't seem to be able to find the "hole" mentioned in the GP video, but my pick hold the striker rod away from the cover, so that isn't my hold up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
Don't remember what the slide on the Spectrum is like, so this is just generic advice: in many guns the striker spring puts a LOT of pressure on the rear plate effectively locking it in place. So you have to insert a small tool like a punch into the slot and push the spring forward releasing the pressure on the back plate.

#4 ·
I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty removing your back plate. I'm afraid that I don't have much to add to assist you.

However, I just wanted to thank you for posting up about this. I've disliked the slide inlays for moving the slide since I got my Spectrum. The inlays are slippery and don't provide much grip at all, so I've been just gripping the slide to rack it. Thank you for bringing an alternative to light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.