Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having owned both and having put 1000 rds thru my G3C and 3800 thru my G3 here are my conclusions ( based on a small sample!)

- The G3C obviously is the result of along line of product improved compact pistols from Taurus and it shows.
Great reliability, no issues with magazines, no issues with feeding or ejecting, no matter what the Ammo even some of my worst Ammo seems to work fine.
Class leading ergonomics and shooting performance for a compact pistol.
- The G3 is Taurus full size, yet along the lines of the millennium pro compact pistols. I love the accuracy and speed that the superior ergonomics of of a full size handgun anointed with taurus excellent ergonomics offers.
Yet in my service it has not matched the high reliability of the G3C.

If ammo is in any way marginal we get feeding errors and the magazines had weak springs that would completely fail to push the ammo up some some types.
I am not 100% if this was the magazines that came with the gun or the mecgar magazines I bought speratly from a vendor but my gut tells me it was a mix of both (however have no proof of this.

So the form and function of the G3 is superior simply due to being a fullsize version of the G3C the reliability is not.
These guns can be reliable but you must do two things, - replace mag springs ( or be lucky enough to catch a "good batch" ) and shoot ammo that you identified a working well with your gun.

Now there appear to be many users with no issues at all with their G3s.
This may be explained in two ways;
  • they had the right ammo from the get-go
  • they do not shoot enough to wear out magazine springs

Incidentally here is a comparison of both feed ramps.
I do not know why there was a need to make both different but i could speculate that since the G3C came after the G3 the enlarged feed ramp may be a product improvement step by Taurus for the G3C.

G3 on left G3C on right.
I think it is clear which gun might feed more reliably with a greater variety of ammo...

Hand Finger Thumb Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must be lucky and didn't even know it. I have bought two G3's this month with the second one being today. And both of mine are like the ramps on the right. Don't know if the ones of color would have a difference, but one is Black-Grey, and the other is Black-Tan. The Black-Grey one I bought today jammed on the 3rd round twice, the fourth round once and the second round 3 times in a row. Seems it did not like the RNSP. It seems to like HP's.

really?
That's great info some of us havebeen looking for.
I been looking for evidence that Taurus might product improve the ramps on the G3:

So it looks like we finally have a answer to this thread that is positive after many folks reported only the style on the left for the G3.
Could you post the production dates of your G3s for us?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was I just lucky and get a "Good One" or are the reported feeding and ammo sensitivity just internet wisdom?
I am happy yours is working so well from the get-go.
However I know I am not the only one that had issues.
still of course the internet tends to magnify those.

How many people go online to post. "my pistol has no problems". :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see some crazy sales of g3s right now. tempted to buy another.
but since they are on internet I do not know if they have the product improved feedramp or not.
Another member of this board in another thread stated he recently picked up a G3 and it had the feedramps that I see on my G3C.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What you described was my reaction, and exactly what I ended up doing. I polished up and opened up the feed ramp a bit and it did run reasonably well after that.

I think this "adjusting the trigger bar" thing, is just a way they can put some corrective action on the paper instead of "unable to replicate." Companies know that customers don't like warranty responses of "we didn't do anything." I figure for as cheap as they're selling barrels, they could just slap a new barrel into these guns coming in and say "replaced barrel." People would probably have a lot more faith in that whether it realistically fixed it or not.
Maybe its because the barrel carries the serial they cant do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The factory should be able to dremel the feed ramp to (at least partially) match the G3C style.
But I have a feeling thats a step too far for them from a configuration management perspective.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And lets not forget, these are very inexpensive guns.. Taurus can afford only so much service before it removes the business case for selling.
In return for getting handguns that in my opion, beat others 2-3 times their price in form and function, I think we must accept things like managing our mag springs and/or sticking with ammo that works well with a tight feedramp and/or doing some dremeling of your own.

Everything is a trade-off and I am happy with the one I made with my G3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts